[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What order to read these books?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
So I finished with Betty Edwards's drawing on the right side of the brain, Loomis' fun with a pencil and Bert Dodson's keys to drawing and my drawing has improved tremendously, where do I go from here? What's next?

What order should I read the following books/courses?

Charles Bargue (I started this but it didn't seem like a beginner course at all, it seemed very exacting)

Juliette Aristedes

Harold Speed,

Glenn Vilppu

Famous Artists Course

William Pogany

Loomis - Figure Drawing for all it’s worth

Preston Blair - Animation

George Bridgman

Loomis Successful drawing

Stephen Rogers Peck

Loomis - Drawing the head and hands

Jack Hamm

Loomis Creative illustration

Burne Hogarth,

Loomis Eye of the Painter

John Buscema - Drawing Comics The Marvel Way

Kimon Nicolaides

My goals are pencilling realistically, drawing cartoonily, drawing in a comic book style, and everything inbetween.
>>
>>2583098
Start with Bridgman, Loomis, Hogarth and Vilppu. Read the rest as you see fit.
>>
>>2583098
dont read any books. I never read a book and I turnt out fine.

Art is for jawks, not nerds
>>
>>2583105
Sir, I find that unlikely. Also, these books are not for reading, they're for guiding your drawing exercises- it's like 10% reading 90% drawing.
>>
>>2583105
Well I do declare mr.nose, I find your statements to be false.
>>
>>2583102
Thanks.

Bump for anyone else's opinion?
>>
>>2583102
DO NOT START WITH BRIDGEMAN

That shit is so confusing to beginners or anyone that doesn't have an already intricate understanding of muscles. Start with loomis and whatever other technical anatomy books there are. Bridgeman doesn't teach anatomy he teaches you how to enhance your knowledge of anatomy. But you have to have that knowledge to begin with or you'll be lost.
>>
Level 1
- Huston : Figure Drawing for Artists
- Loomis : Figure Drawing for All it's Worth

Level 2
- Hampton : Figure Drawing Design and Invention
- Loomis : Successful Drawing

Level 3
- Bridgeman
- Scott Robertson : How to Draw
>>
Do you actually have to know about every muscle to draw ? I don't think a lot of people here know about the vastus lateralis
>>
>>2583109
the last book I read, and I really ALMOST read was "of mice and men" And even though it was 4 years ago, I didn't finish it.

I hate books and all that they stand for. Couldnt be a more inefficient way to pass on information.
>>
>>2585258
That's an exterior muscle responsible for a lot of definition on the leg. Of course people want to learn it, and have. If you wanted to choose a muscle people don't need to learn about, choose one that is never visible and doesn't give the form definition.
>>
>>2585258
No.

Ask ten realist artists and nine probably won't be able to tell you the name of any given muscle outside the ones they learned in gym class.

But they study the body so that they can suss out why that bulgey bit on the arm doesn't look right.

It also helps when you want to make stylized characters, with (for example) long, elegant limbs and simple linework... studying what a the body is "supposed" to look like helps you capture the essence, so your elongated figures don't just look like slenderman.
>>
File: 1465824413413.gif (451 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
1465824413413.gif
451 KB, 720x404
>>2585147
this seems about right
>>
>>2583098
>Charles Bargue
>Juliette Aristedes
>Harold Speed

These people are all focused on classical drawing technique -- something which is not discussed all that much on /ic/. The approach they take is fairly different from Loomis, Vilppu, etc. The general progression for classical drawing is to copy from prints, then from casts, then from life. It's focused very much on realism and accuracy.

I wouldn't look at Aristides or Speed right now. The exercises they provide are more beneficial for someone with more experience.

Bargue is absolutely appropriate for beginners, but don't do it exclusively as it will take you way too long. It's great training for your eye, and the fantastic thing about it is that you can set your own standards for success. Some people seem to think that you have to produce an exact copy of what's in the book - not so, as long you're pushing yourself you're doing it right.
>>
>>2585261

there's a reason you're retarded.

and french.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.