[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Surrealism Discussion Bread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 600x337) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 600x337
In your opinion, who was the best surrealist painter? Dali? Miró? Ernst? Tell me.
>>
File: Acedia2000.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1066) Image search: [Google]
Acedia2000.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1066
dunno but I like Geddes
>>
>>2581257
That looks good and weird but I wouldn't really call it surrealist
>>
>>2581261
What's not surreal bout it? Beskinksi is my pick.
>>
File: ernst-02-800x1003.jpg (356 KB, 800x1003) Image search: [Google]
ernst-02-800x1003.jpg
356 KB, 800x1003
>>2580688
>Tell me.

Me.

>>2581261

I like Max Ernst and what he did was sometimes kinda like >>2581257
>>
>>2580688
Magritte, because while other artist's works were based on the confusing ideas and imageries dreams can contain, Magritte's works were about the clarity and insight they can provide. His works are so singular, clear, straightforward, I never get tired of the ideas he shows.
>>
I like Bosch.
>>
I really can't find the appeal in Dalís work. I was at Sweden's Modern Museum last year and went through their collection. The first thing you encounter is their cubist room. The paintings seemed so very dusty and out dated. Their choice of cubism paintings were trendy at the time, but like with all trends they become out dated after a while. Next you're faced with the poster boy of the museum; Dalís buttock painting. I used to like that one as a child, but now I looked at it with a kind of disgust. I can see how Dali was influential at the time (he was also a Casanova and a huge ego but whatever). But I don't think his work have aged well at all. Cezanne was also influential and ground breaking, and I think his paintings are still some of the best. Now, I get why museums like to show off their cubism and surrealist collections, it's what the tourists have paid to see, and, since they are really valuable they help the museum in making good exhibitions by trading with other museums. But I don't get why people talk about Dali like he's still relevant.
>>
>>2582164
what a load of bish bosch
>>
I don't buy the story that Beksinski was a happy go lucky guy oustide of his body of work
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.