[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your thoughts on watermarking and signing /ic/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5
File: 4koma_136e.jpg (245 KB, 1280x1145) Image search: [Google]
4koma_136e.jpg
245 KB, 1280x1145
What are your thoughts on watermarking and signing /ic/?
>>
it helps me find an artist I like so it's retarded to remove it.
>>
>>2579596
it's OK as long as they don't use those bigass ones that ruins the whole composition
>>
>>2579596
I hate it when there's no credit because I have to ask "who drew this" on facebook and the guy who posted it (retarded most of the time) is like LUL IDK INTERNET?
>>
>>2579622
>facebook
kek so the memes about /ic/ being a normie board is actually true
>>
>>2579596

I actually think watermarks are necessary.
>>
File: 1467062971034.jpg (245 KB, 1280x1070) Image search: [Google]
1467062971034.jpg
245 KB, 1280x1070
>>2579596
fixed sempai
>>
>>2579596
As long as they aren't ruining the art I don't see how it's an issue. It's kind of a dick move to remove them and spread them that way. You're not even paying the artist, if you enjoy their work the least you can do is letting them get a bit more exposure.
Probably not an issue if you feel like removing the watermark for personal use, but you should keep that one to yourself senpai.
>>
>>2579596
It's sad how many people disrespect the watermarks/tags. Even if they don't do it to claim ownership, sometimes they'll just take it off because it "gets in the way".

But if you make your watermark obnoxious, expect to have it cut off. And if you plaster your watermark over the image itself, expect nobody to even bother saving it.
>>
>>2579596

Wouldn't be necessary if people credited the artist, instead of uploading as "My art collection" for proxy asspats

This was a problem with music mixes as well a while back. More uploaders have started crediting the song artist now though.

Just ask for the original artists and soon people will start including it by themselves.
>>
>>2579626
I was gonna say that.
Kek
>>
Something small and subtle in the corner somewhere that fits with the rest of the composition.
Yes, they're easily removed which is a pain in the ass, but I'd rather that than literally ruin anything I produce to remind people I produced it.
>>
>>2579705
Exactly. It's better to make something worth stealing.
>>
>>2579626

They tumblr and blogwhoring should have given it away long ago.
>>
>>2579686
the absolute madman
>>
File: CSu63veUwAA1r2d.png (209 KB, 600x750) Image search: [Google]
CSu63veUwAA1r2d.png
209 KB, 600x750
>>2579596
Just put your twitter on it, like the Japanese
>>
File: MEME_IT.jpg (524 KB, 1280x1070) Image search: [Google]
MEME_IT.jpg
524 KB, 1280x1070
>>2579686
Fixed further kouhai
>>
>>2579875
kek hahahahhahhaha
>>
I don't like the idea of watermarks at all. I think that they get in the way of the image.

Signatures, however, I feel make perfect sense (if readable). Let's say, for example, there wasan artist with the name of: "Larry Truncate." When I am viewing the image, do I want to see this big watermark logo in the middle? No. Do I want to see some kind of unreadble symbol/handwriting that looks like: "LAY TUNC"? No. I want to see: "Larry Truncate," somewhere in the image. It makes my life easy, doesn't ruin the quality of the image, and resolves all issues I have with signatures in the first place.
>>
>>2579790
it's fine if your art is good
>>
>>2581568
woops didn't mean to quote
>>
>>2579596
putting your username on the thing really useful for finding new fans.

I just hate these fuck-all signatures. y'know the ones with month/year and a shitty symbol or who knows what.
>>
>>2579686
>>2579875
Fucking KEK
>>
>>2579875
Should've lower the opacity to at least 50% but it cover all the page
>>
>>2579596
I would much rather have a watermark on an image than not. That way, when you see it posted on third party sites you can immediately check out the artist's other work if you want without having to reverse image search, then sort through all the watermarked version that other people stole and shit.

I think you should keep it unobtrusive, small 50% transparent text in a bottom or top corner of the image - actually ON the image, not in a margin.

>>2581557
If the signature isn't perfectly legible, there's no reason to have it, so I'd generally prefer a URL over a signature. I'd only want something on the image if it's actually giving me information.
>>
next level watermarking is working ur websites qr code into the composition
>>
I hate when they make them so huge and distracting. It looks pretentious.
>>
>>2579596
No really need for that.

First, don't fucking browse shits like Facebook, the Booru and Pixiv should be the first choices.

As for your works, post them on sites that works with reverse image searching. I sometimes try with my own drawings and it always find it thanks to Deviantart.

Let's add there is iqdb on 4chan to find stuffs.

So no watermark (or at worst, easy to remove), Un-intrusive signing can be fine though. Though I don't do it.
>>
>>2582307
>the Booru
Which Booru?
>>
>>2582312
Gelbooru and Danbooru.
>>
>>2582307
>post them on sites that works with reverse image searching
You're reeeeaaaaaallly missing the point of watermarking shit. You post your shit on your own website/deviant art/art station or w/e, then someone else is like "this is pretty, I'll just take it and put it on my own blog/facebook/reddit/imgur and remove/forget about the source because I'm a cunt."

Then all the plebs see your work, and might actually be interested in it in a commercial sense (buying your comic book, or prints, or t-shirts, or just throwing money at you on patreon, w/e) and never find your own site to give you their shekels.

Putting yourself in the pleb's shoes: some people around here use shit like facebook/reddit/imgur/w/e for purposes other than finding artwork, but see artwork posted there anyway. If you want to find a missing source, then yeah, you can reverse image search, but if the work has been posted to every blog under the sun already, it can be hard to find the actual source - hence the usefulness of the URL watermark.
>>
>>2582336
and what can you do about that? Nothing. Just deal with it.
>>
>>2582314
This is a joke right? It's hard to tell because it's not really funny.
>>
>>2582337
(If the watermark gets removed by the re-poster I mean)

If some people are just so pleb that they can do a little research that their problem.

Anyway, the kind of work that gets re-posted so much that you can't find the source are rare. Sure as hell won't happen with anyone from here.

>>2582338
Are you retarded? They're far from perfect, but they're by far the best sites to easily finds Anime drawings along with their sources.
>>
File: ICs-Favorite-Artist.jpg (495 KB, 2560x1089) Image search: [Google]
ICs-Favorite-Artist.jpg
495 KB, 2560x1089
>>2582337
>>2582340
There's nothing you can do about people removing watermarks, and it's ultimately not the biggest deal in the world, but putting an unobtrusive watermark ON the image is a pretty decent solution. If you hardly notice it's there, only the most malicious faggots will bother cropping it out.

I'm willing to bet it's helped meme artists like Sakimichan and >pic related.

>Anime drawings
Who the fuck was asking about anime?
>>
>>2582342
> Who the fuck was asking about anime?

Did you even look a the OP pic? I was also mentionning the Booru because reverse google image and Pixiv doesn't go well together, while for western it's much easier to find the source with DA.
>>
>>2582171
I knew of an artist on memecenter, raze, which using flat colors and thick linework at the time, would include his name in his comics. it would be in his linework but hided between other lines.

he was doing that because of the memecenter OC and 9gag content stealing war going and a game, spot the raze, ala spot the micky was born

all in all you can find creative ways to insert your watermark in your work without being annoying
>>
>>2582347
>OP posted animaymay pic therefore the whole thread is about them
>>
>>2582354
Good job ignoring the rest of my post.
>>
>>2582347
>What are your thoughts on watermarking and signing /ic/?
>>
>>2582360
I was fucking talking about how to generally find drawing sources you retard, how about you read the whole posts.
>>
>>2582362
>I was fucking talking about how to generally find drawing sources
I don't need to read the rest of your post because that wasn't the topic.
>>
>>2582377
It is. I was saying how watermarks are unnecessary because there are ways to find the sources.
>>
>>2582342
>malicious
projecting
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.