[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Make an artist out of me /ic/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 13
File: lets_begin.jpg (31 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
lets_begin.jpg
31 KB, 800x600
Time to put your money where your mouth is d/ic/ks.

I just got fired from my job (menial 9-5 shit, nothing to talk about). I have around 20k dollars saved up, which should last me at least till next year.

I'm tired of 9-5 bullshit anons. I want to do art. But I don't know jackshit. I'm starting from zero. I bought a wacom tablet and downloaded Krita. The plan is to study art for a year, even if I don't get to 'make-a-living-tier' (I probably won't) I want to at least be able to walk on that path.

So here's the deal, I'll do whatever exercise, drawing, etc, you ask me to do and post it here. Follow any advice, as long as its specific and short. So, no "read x book and copy all the drawings", you can cite a single page from the book but not the entire thing. Lectures are fine as long as they're not longer than 10 minutes, snippets of longer lectures are fine.

In return, I will do it. I'll do whatever exercise you ask me to do, and you'll get to see my progress (or lack thereof) in this and future threads. Think of it like a game, if you want.

Let's see what you guys got.

>inb4 go to beginner thread

pic related, my current skill level
>>
>>2579492
I'm sorry but you're gonna have to read, even if you don't want to, some books like the vilppu one and loomis books have worked wonders for me, and I too didn't want to read. all the advice I can give you is read the hampton book and figure drawing for all it's worth by loomis.
>>
>>2579492
Nigga if I could make an artist, it would be ME.

>Loomis.
>>
>>2579492

you'd be a damn fool to take any advice here
>>
>>2579503
I'm not against reading, but not "read x book". Tell me the page, or the exercise, I'll read it, do the exercise and post it here and we'll go step by step, page by page.

>>2579506
So what's stopping you?

>>2579507
Why is that?
>>
File: 1456719893734.jpg (13 KB, 482x487) Image search: [Google]
1456719893734.jpg
13 KB, 482x487
>>2579492
Grind spheres until you competent enough to draw them in any angle you want.
>>
>>2579516
Alright. Let's start with this then. I'll give myself 15 minutes then post the results here.

By "grinding spheres" I'll assume you mean a draw spheres of different sizes and with the light coming from different place? Ok. Let's go!

brb in 15 minutes
>>
>>2579513
that's not how it works tho, you have to read the book, cause it's a series of steps that build upon until you reach a point in whcih you understand the construction of the figure > perspective > understanding of value etc. you can't just magically become a good artist just doing some short exercises, you need to understand and be intuitive about what you wanna draw.
>>
>>2579513
Outside of the promotion pen, 6% of this board are considered near professional. And so you'll be taking advice from amateurs and or people passing by who aren't really from /ic/ to begin with who would love to mess with you and your idea. I wouldn't even read the sticky or the new sticky because even the new sticky was written by amateurs.

I would, and it's my suggestion, go to a forum and read what you need to do to get better at what you want to do and pirate whatever you need.
>>
File: Spheres_1.jpg (35 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Spheres_1.jpg
35 KB, 800x600
>>2579516
>>2579525
Definitely needs some more work, should I do another round of 15 minutes or do something else for a while?

>>2579526
That's fine. We still have to read the book page by page don't we? So we'll go one page at a time.

>>2579527
Yeah but this sounds like a lonely road. I'd rather do this then go through books and lectures by myself. Thanks for your advice though
>>
>>2579551
Nigger, he meant separating the spheres into different hemispheres, not shadows.
>>
>>2579568
Ahhh I see. Ok I'll do this again, brb 15 minutes.
>>
>>2579492
>I'm tired of 9-5 bullshit anons. I want to do art. But I don't know jackshit. I'm starting from zero.

You seriously underestimate this stuff man.
>>
>>2579492
How old are you? I think you should get a part time job at least, and draw in your spare time. If you don't have structure in your life, it's gonna fall apart and after the year passes you'll find yourself exactly where you started.

At your current level it's gonna take a couple years for you to be employable in this competitive industry. You don't even have any goals besides just 'making art for a living'. What do you want to do? Illustration? Concept art? Fine art? What's your niche? You haven't thought about these things at all.

I doubt you'll have the determination or persistence to 'git gud'. I can see that you lack the attitude from your first post already, as you refuse to read or watch any actual lectures that would help you gain valuable knowledge. It shows me that you don't actually care enough to invest any substantial time and effort into this endeavor.

I get the feeling that you have a bit of a naive misunderstanding of what you're getting into. Maybe you should do something else, like learn how to program, or learn a trade.
>>
>>2579551

senpai you got a long way to go and the wrong attitude. In one year you'll probably be completely broke and not good enough to go pro.
>>
File: Spheres_2.jpg (49 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Spheres_2.jpg
49 KB, 800x600
>>2579583
>>2579568
Ok attempt 2. Damn, circles/ellipses are extremely hard to draw. Definitely an exercise to revisit. What's next? Should I reattempt it?

>>2579599
No I don't think I do, that's why I'm taking a year off to live off of my savings while studying art. That was the plan when I started saving about 5 years ago.

I think trying to get better while also working a full-time job is "underestimating it".

>>2579601
I'm 22. I'm not yet sure what I want to do in the industry, I just don't know enough yet to make a decision. However I'm leaning toward illustration and concept art.

I never said I refuse to watch lectures or read, just that we'll be taking it one page or 1 ten minute increment at a time, instead of trying to watch/read the entire lecture/book and doing exercises alone. Show me a page from a book, or a lecture snippet, I'll read/watch it and then do the exercise (if any).

>>2579613
That's fine. If I go broke I'll just go back to 9-5 work. Taking a year off won't kill me, but never attempting anything worthwhile probably will. I won't be good enough to go pro, I'm ok with that, but I don't want to go back to 9-5 work just yet.
>>
OK, this sounds fun. I think this is a bad idea to learn but ok.

I think you should Start with a simple pencil and draw the basics with it. Later you can always Start learning with a graphic tablet. With a pencil you can practice your linework and the feeling for it. Do the same exercise with a pencil. Pay attention to do in each circle 3 equators... Eh sorry for my dad english. You should keep your attention to quality not quantity... Do not so many but better spheres and try to imagine the 3d sphere.
>>
>>2579513
>I'm not against reading, but not "read x book". Tell me the page, or the exercise, I'll read it, do the exercise and post it here and we'll go step by step, page by page.

So you want people to spoonfeed you all the way to professional level? Then critique for each one? And you only have the attention span to absorb information in single pages or 10 minute lectures?

How about you pay a fucking tutor instead of acting like you're worth pandering to, like you're above the beginner thread.
>>
File: 1427748504384.jpg (9 KB, 240x196) Image search: [Google]
1427748504384.jpg
9 KB, 240x196
>>2579625
>That was the plan when I started saving about 5 years ago. I think trying to get better while also working a full-time job is "underestimating it".

You're saying you started saving FIVE YEARS ago planning to invest it in art - a hobby you apparently have no experience with and no idea if you'd even enjoy long term - rather than drawing for like an hour a day for those five years instead? Most people here have full time jobs and still find the time to draw, you know.
You do realize you'd actually be really competent - likely better than a lot of /ic/ - by now if you'd just drawn a little bit every day for five whole years instead of procrastinating and waiting for the "perfect time to start". Especially considering a vast majority of idiots who think they can just start pouring full-time hours into "gitting gud" burn out anyway.
>>
>>2579671
This

OP, go through the beginner thread & sticky like everyone else and drop in your stuff there until you feel confident enough for critique other then "L O O M I S"
>>
>>2579662
Ok, I'll reattempt with fewer circles but more attention on each one. I can't use a pen and paper because I don't have a scanner or good camera (which is why I bought the tablet, it was cheaper).

Brb in 15 minutes.

>>2579671
Well to be honest when I started it wasn't for art, but just for traveling. And I actually did do that for a bit, and it was enjoyable but I realized it wasn't really for me. So I came up with a new goal and saved for that.

In retrospect you're right, I would have been better off drawing right from the start, but what's done is done. I also don't think I would've improved all that much doing just a little bit each day while also working.
>>
File: Spheres_3.jpg (31 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Spheres_3.jpg
31 KB, 800x600
>>2579662
>>2579676

Ok I took a little extra time because the first attempts were horrible. Still needs work. Should I go another half hour at this?
>>
>>2579492
>>2579507
This, honestly.

You should take a genuine art class. Nobody here can point out what you should be doing in real time, we can only correct what you HAVE done. You could work on something for 10 hours but have your fundamentals all wrong from the beginning. Take a class or two with an actual teacher to guide you, please.
>>
>>2579741
Forgot to mention: things like how to hold your pencil (do not hold it the way you'd write--you end up tensing your hand and wrist too much), whether you're using your arm properly, posture... we have no way of guiding you on that.

As someone else said, you should be starting out with traditional media because using a tablet/doing digital art has a learning curve in itself.
>>
>>2579492

Bro, start with drawabox.com and go from there. just heard about the place, lessons are free, the shit is boring to start out with but it builds real skills.
>>
>>2579770
Looks interesting. Ok. I'll try this and then post the results here. Thanks.
>>
im about in the same boat OP. i have about 15k saved up from working this last year and a half. though i work 10 hour shifts for 60 hours a week. im burnt out and just going to quit and draw for a year
>>
>>2579743
>how to hold your pencil (do not hold it the way you'd write....
No opinion on this particular thread, but I would like to point out how retarded this statement is.

This is a sterling example of why no one on here, including OP, should take "art advice" from annons on this board, other than maybe crits on finished work. If you want to learn how to art, what to art and anything else art syllabus related seek information elsewhere by people you can vet and know are experienced working professionals. Even then know there's no "right" way to do something. Often for every time someone say "no, you can't do it that way." there's 5 examples showing just the opposite.

>>2579492
So many working artists post information to blogs, youtube, etc. If you want to do art for a living someday OP then go search out worthwhile sources elsewhere describing how, you won't find them here.
>>
get the charles bargue drawing course and copy the eyes on page 28, instructions for how to do so are on pages 24-25
>>
>>2580071
>No opinion on this particular thread, but I would like to point out how retarded this statement is.

Shut the hell up

https://youtu.be/pMC0Cx3Uk84?t=40s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgDNDOKnArk
>>
File: Bargue_Eyes_1.jpg (22 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
Bargue_Eyes_1.jpg
22 KB, 800x600
>>2580078
Wow this is a great resource thanks! Pic related is first attempt at the first two eyes. Definitely need some more work on properly drawing the plumb line to the same size as in the plate.
>>
File: DAB_Exc_1_1.jpg (54 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DAB_Exc_1_1.jpg
54 KB, 800x600
>>2579770
>>2579820
Also first exercise in drawabox. Strangely calming once you do it for a while. I'm going to do another page of these tomorrow morning.

>>2580084
Hmm interesting videos but I don't how much they can apply to a tablet pen. You can't really hold it on its side.
>>
File: Bargue_Eyes_2.png (50 KB, 784x938) Image search: [Google]
Bargue_Eyes_2.png
50 KB, 784x938
>>2580123
>>2580078

Another three eyes.
>>
File: DAB_Exc_1_1_2.jpg (39 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DAB_Exc_1_1_2.jpg
39 KB, 800x600
>>2580124
Second set of lines and connecting lines excercise
>>
File: DAB_Exc_1_2.jpg (38 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
DAB_Exc_1_2.jpg
38 KB, 800x600
>>2580797
Connecting lines are definitely a lot easier to do. And I finally figured out to rotate the canvas
>>
Please make a trip so I can tell when you give up.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.