[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Style
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: inkling fangs.jpg (263 KB, 770x749) Image search: [Google]
inkling fangs.jpg
263 KB, 770x749
As someone who's literally just now taken an interest in learning to draw, I was wondering how more experienced artists developed or settled into a style or specific trademark for their style. Like me personally, I adore characters with fangs, so if/when i'm good enough to draw my own stuff, I'd probably lean towards drawing fanged characters.

What's your style, or when did you start to notice your own unique form?
>>
Never cared about style but started noticing some considerable consistency around 3 years after I started.

Just try to make things look correct at first, style will come with time and experience
>>
>>2575964
Style comes when you actually understand anatomy, construction and such.

Not the way when you can draw people in a pose you've never seen before only from imagination, but when you've found the easiest way for you to draw eyes, arms, heads, mouths, etc... and everyone assumes your interpretation as "correct".

Style will emerge when you study, practice and actually learn. Don't worry about it much.
>>
>>2575964
It'll kind of happen like that. You're messing around, you stumble upon something that makes you think "Oh, I like this, that looks good," you'll use it more and refine it in that process, it'll naturally assimilate into your work.

As a beginner, messing around will just end up looking like crap, because everything you do as a beginner looks like crap. You gotta grind through the crap before a style starts to effectively develop.
>>
File: otonari_042.jpg (1 MB, 1110x1600) Image search: [Google]
otonari_042.jpg
1 MB, 1110x1600
>>2575964
I mean, you should always experiment, but since you're starting out, you need to double down on anatomy, perspective and form.

Style should be an afterthought, if you're a beginner.

Artists like Yoshinari can draw in whatever style that they please, but that's because they have years and years of understanding the fundamentals of art.
>>
File: rance teeth.jpg (9 KB, 189x226) Image search: [Google]
rance teeth.jpg
9 KB, 189x226
>>2576009
I like everything in this pic alot, but the evil face with the shark teeth super appeals to me.

Also man, you guys are awesome, I sorta expected this thread might just vanish, but I appreciate the input. I literally like JUST started trying to draw stuff, so I am pretty awful, but I'm hungry for advice/tutorial stuff.

I was curious how more experienced/better artist felt though.
>>
File: 1465985243977.png (3 MB, 1436x1080) Image search: [Google]
1465985243977.png
3 MB, 1436x1080
>>2576012
Read the stick if you haven't already.

You might hate yourself and your art for a long while, but if you keep at it, you will improve.
>>
>>2575964
Style is a combination of your personal interests and how you internalize and reflect visual information. The latter comes from practice. And it's really as simple as that.

The more you paint the more you think about how you're painting and the more you'll find specific techniques of putting marks down etc.
>>
I've written a bit for a few years, but I've always felt entirely inept at any form of art, but I part of me still wants to try.

>>2576013
The stuff about the loomis books?
>>
>>2575964
style in drawing is developed as style in writing, you first learn how to write right, then keep writing until you get develop writing habits. at that, is your style
>>
>>2576012
is good you know what is appealing to you, never let go of that information, it will help you tremendously later in your art
>>
I'm going to make my own blog dedicated to copying art styles (proportions, etc) from anime with my own style of line weight and coloring. Am I going to get despised for it when it looks like I'm pandering too much and not having a style of my own?
>>
>>2576277
There's this cunt on Instagram who basically learnt studio Trigger + KyoAni style characteristics and applied it to her own style (she just draws different eyes and that's all).
She now makes posts from time to time about other people doing the same thing and copying her style and that she can't do anything about it. Of course her fangirls and fanboys flame others, watch out for such pitiful cases of scumbags, hopefully you'll avoid drama.
>>
>>2576277
You could make a blog about just about anything and somebody would hate on it. Personally I think it sounds like a cool idea.
>>
>>2576381
>>2576487
Ok thanks, I'm planning to make funny comics with pre-existing anime characters with some serious full color illustration on the side so wish me luck.
>>
>>2576277
Copying other artists (even copying specific works stroke by stroke) has been part of arts education for a long time.

As long as you're not passing your work off as your own or claiming that your copy demonstrates mastery, you're not doing anything wrong (aside from attention whoring on the internet, but everyone does that now).
>>
Emulate a lot of styles you like.
Emulate a lot of styles you don't like.
Never stop experimenting.
>>
>>2576277

Clearly name the artist you're studying from when you post it. I might even suggest putting it in writing somewhere small on the drawing if you do it a lot.
I rarely see anyone get mad as long as you credit your studies.
>>
>>2576633
*passing their work off as your own

At least not in the world of commercial art, if you're a gallery artist you can smush some paint around on a print of someone's photo and sell it for 90k if you suck the right dicks and write some nice words about it.
>>
Style is not a goal or a reason to draw. Style comes with experience, and with each experience of drawing you utilize different styles. Look at Shaun Tam for example, he doesn't sick to a style because he's not going to let one thing define him.

Draw because you like to create, and modify your subject once it's on the canvas to your liking and you'll get style naturally.

Also, fangs are not a style. They are a subject matter. Style has more to do with technique and the filter of your brain than anything.
>>
>>2575964
It's a hybrid of caricaturing real life, abstraction, and things that visually please you.
>>
>>2576277
You're good as long as you speak about your process on reverse engineering the art and what you found that particular artist does to get the style

It could be a really helpful blog for other weeb artists trying to emulate their favorite artists.
>>
>>2576573
>wish me luck

Godspeed, comrade.

We all gonna make it ....
>>
>>2575964

See 8 minute drawing challenge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06GxNHHREJA

It generally is a tool to see what things you put emphasis on and to refine your designs so your style will pop-up from it.

I think that generally trying to redraw your pieces faster and setting limits on yourself, like extremely limited palette of unlikely colors or drawing with 100% opacity and on 1 layer digitally or drawing with brushpen only and not restating your lines at all bring out those things.

You know, the question isn't what you can do, but what can't you do, where you will restrict yourself so you will emerge by it.

I guess more experienced artists would instead of typing long-ass post just say "Challenge yourself".
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.