[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Even the mighty GamesWorkshop is now photobashing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: Realm_Of_Derp.jpg (824 KB, 1540x2000) Image search: [Google]
Realm_Of_Derp.jpg
824 KB, 1540x2000
A picture from their new Age Of Sigmar

Its tragic really, I loved GW's Warhammer Fantasy art; it respected real medieval and renaissance history and art while providing something surprisingly unique and something that I could take seriously compared to say, Warcraft with giant cartoony swords and basketball sized breasts

Just compare this
This could almost be a classical painting
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammerfb/images/c/cf/Warhammer-empire.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130426185141

to
http://playzim.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Playzim-Wow.jpg

But recently, GW's art quality seems to be going done, in addition to the designs of their miniatures(looking at you 40k: HUR HUR HUR HUR LETS JUST COPY PASTE GOTHIC ARCHES TO EVERYTHING TO MAKE IT 40k WE UNIQUE)
>>
going down* aghhh typo
>>
thats not photobashing

also seriously there's been some janky artwork in games workshop's history, this is nothing new.
>>
40k art is always good
>>
>>2560204
the ground textures look like it was taken from a photo

also most of the bad 40k artwork are from either from the old days of 1st and 2nd edition or from freelancing artists doing work for the fantasy flight games books
>>
There's been some trashy warhammer art in the past but if this is legit it's among the worst.

I have trouble believing it - Games Workshop has hired plenty of competent artists, why would they accept this sort of trash? Where was it published?
>>
>>2560366
Its some of their latest age of sigmar work(which replaced Warhammer Fantasy),

While some of their Age of Sigmar art looks nice, it lacks the "classical" appeal the original artwork for Warhammer Fantasy had, not it just looks like Diet Warcraft
>>
>>2560311
>the ground textures look like it was taken from a photo

That's not what photobashing means though. The least you could do is try to understand the definition of the very thing you are whining about. Photobashing means copy pasting photos into a composition like you would with a photo collage and then painting on top of it. This is just a really terrible digital painting with photo textures.
>>
>>2560804
The skulls in the green goo and the ghosts at the bottom are photos of the minatures
>>
File: Tyranids_of_Hive_Fleet_Behemoth.jpg (350 KB, 940x1000) Image search: [Google]
Tyranids_of_Hive_Fleet_Behemoth.jpg
350 KB, 940x1000
I remember reading this one issue of White Dwarf religiously when I was a kid, and the cover art never stopped being equal parts cool and scary; I was afraid to touch the thing sometimes.
>>
>>2560248
When it's done by good artists, like Karl Kopinski.
>>
>>2563336
Looks like Clint Langley, but I'm probably wrong.
>>
File: images (15).jpg (5 KB, 180x135) Image search: [Google]
images (15).jpg
5 KB, 180x135
The old stuff is GOAT.
I had this exact poster up as a kid and would stare at it for ages, getting lost in the details.
It's ridiculous really, I've never seen so much intricacies in modern paintings, even the background has layers and layers of unnecessary detail to follow.
>>
File: 3519964-poster-emperor-horus.jpg (89 KB, 727x500) Image search: [Google]
3519964-poster-emperor-horus.jpg
89 KB, 727x500
>>2563406
>>
This is now a 40k art thread
>>
>>2563468
Who the fuck shoots like that lmoa
>>
>>2563476
women
>>
>>2563476
You jelly your work sucks and her work blows any current and future work you'll produce out of the water?

lol, only losers nitpick about stupid crap like a pose in an otherwise great image. Stay shit anon, you're good at it.
>>
File: adriansmith.jpg (63 KB, 544x768) Image search: [Google]
adriansmith.jpg
63 KB, 544x768
Its fantasy but still pretty dope.
>>
>>2563625
>stupid crap
>pose
>stupid crap
>>
>>2563625
holy defensive much
>>
File: Imperial_Palace_Terra2.jpg (228 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_Palace_Terra2.jpg
228 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>2563336
Probably Karl Kopinski, he does a lot of the old Warhammer illustrations
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.