[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there anatomy reference books or sources for dragons or other
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: _bulbasaur__by_arvalis-d5hszwc.jpg (673 KB, 1997x1451) Image search: [Google]
_bulbasaur__by_arvalis-d5hszwc.jpg
673 KB, 1997x1451
Are there anatomy reference books or sources for dragons or other mythical creatures?
>>
>>2557682
dragons aren't real dumbass
>>
>>2557682
There are, but I personally don't recommend it. Learn how to draw reptiles instead, and learn how to render scales and other stuff.

> vk DOT com SLASH doc140639119_357369022 [vilpu animal drawing manual]
> johnmuirlaws.com/art-and-drawing/drawing-scales
>>
File: hue.gif (1 MB, 800x533) Image search: [Google]
hue.gif
1 MB, 800x533
Draw from life.

Study lizards or similarly armored creatures and exaggerate them. Look at other peoples art and think about why they made it the way it is; understand their processes.

Your pic, for example, looks like its based on a Horned Lizard.

Research is part of the artistic process, Anon.
>>
>>2557730
All right, I was thinking of using some sort of guide to get started with. I'll see if I can find an encyclopedia with dinosaur fossils.
>>
>>2557814
Study dinosaurs, birds, lizards, alligators, turtles, snakes, bats, lions etc. You can adapt parts or proportions from real world animals to suit your needs. Study things that are unusual like bugs, microscopic organisms, plants and anything else outside the box to get a more unique spin on your dragons.

There are a few different conventional looks to dragons. They're reliable, but boring. The more unique and unusual your design becomes, the more interesting end result you'll end up with. There's definitely a point where it's hard to still call that a "dragon", so you have to find a balance based on your needs. IIRC feng zhu had an episode on designing dragons up on youtube.

For other mythical creatures, read up on their lore and what real world animals they're based on. Study how artists over the past few centuries handled them. Study how contemporary artists handle them.

There's a lot of trial and error at first. It's one part painting convincingly from studying real world analogues, and one part design. Do the first well and neglect the second, and you end up with what looks like a lizard from your back yard with wings stitched on. Neglect the first and you have something that just doesn't look believable.
>>
>>2557729
Not OP but,
Great find, do you have more links for more Art related books?
>>
>>2557682
Like others said, there are no easy quick tricks. You need to study and understand animal anatomy and design. If you want to make proper believable creatures, you need to actually learn about animals, their adaptations etc.
>>
>>2557682
>>2558566

Rj Palmer (from OP pic) actually has a tutorial somewhere online that isn't bad though
>>
>>2557682
try
J. Peffer - Dragon Art
>>2558561
have you seen the art books threads? >>2530341
>>
File: read_the_sticky.jpg (59 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
read_the_sticky.jpg
59 KB, 1024x576
>>2558561
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.