[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aphantasia
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: 1453414126394.jpg (656 KB, 1500x975) Image search: [Google]
1453414126394.jpg
656 KB, 1500x975
How do you deal with it /ic?
>>
File: Not-Gonna-Make-It Note.jpg (146 KB, 605x345) Image search: [Google]
Not-Gonna-Make-It Note.jpg
146 KB, 605x345
Acceptance

>my mfw when
>>
use more reference
>>
>Aphantasia is a hypothesized neurological condition
>hypothesized

You should learn to deal with your hypochondria instead, OP
>>
File: display_Guild_Wars_2_Lions_Arch.jpg (799 KB, 1280x714) Image search: [Google]
display_Guild_Wars_2_Lions_Arch.jpg
799 KB, 1280x714
That's not even a studied condition yet, and how people define their "mind's eye" varies -- I can picture the face of an ex or a pretty landscape, but if I try to define any of the features 9/10 it just falls apart as my brain realizes that information is missing.

tl;dr git gud
>>
maybe we just need to learn how to see, OP.

do you really see, or are you thinking as you see, taking in only what you need?

Visuals speak their own language
>>
As a kid I was put onto ADD medication that shut down both my ability to visualize and my inner monologue so that type of condition does exist. But it never prevented me from drawing, instead of working things out in my head I just work it out on paper.
>>
>>2557201
>shut down both my ability to visualize and my inner monologue
wtf, so you couldn't think articulated thoughts anymore? That's fucked up.
>>
File: rohan.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
rohan.gif
1 MB, 500x281
Just use LSD you fucking scrub, stop making bullshit excuses.
>>
>>2557166

I don't think aphantasia is legit. Just means your inspiration and reference folders aren't fat enough.
>>
>>2557166
>How do you deal with it /ic?
No one can tell you, because no one has this problem, because it's not real.

Just another excuse for NEET idiots to go play overwatch rather than study.
>>
I just do sit-ups with my cintiq to increase blood flow to my ligameme and keep that neuroplasticity going on.
>>
>>2557357
have you tried jogging with a stylus in each hand? I heard it helps you do longer drawing sessions
>>
I use an undiagnosed theoretical mental illness as an excuse to make up for my lack of discipline, because the only alternative is that I wasn't instantly super good at drawing from imagination and that's just preposterous.
>>
>>2557201

Were you able to visualize again when you stop using add meds?
>>
File: 1464314737010.jpg (998 KB, 3000x3000) Image search: [Google]
1464314737010.jpg
998 KB, 3000x3000
>>2557166
>Aphantasia
in that case I guess when you look at people you literelly never recognise a single face you see in your everyday life? or anything you see is new to you... like you have a fucking shower and forget what it fucking looks like so you end up spending all morning trying to get ready only to realise you dont know what the car or bus looks like only that they exist so you spend all morning crying because you you tried to drive your fucking toaster to work? in that case then I would just sit in the fucking corner at the mental asylum forgetting every second how to use find a spoon to eat with or what even food is! and just suicide now but except you dont remember what a gun or a noose looks like so you just start trying to kill yourself by hitting your head against the cushioned walls at the mental asylum you deranged fuck!
>>
I can't comment about this Aphantasia thing but I'm seriously bothered by how visually complex and beautiful my dreams are, with outstanding colors and light, and how mundane and greyish is everything I try to create in my mind during the day.
>>
>>2558750

I'm not claiming I have it, but I'm pretty sure you're describing some late form of alzheimers or dementia. Not being able to visualize something doesn't mean you can't descriptively memorize it.

Take your living room. There's nothing stopping someone from aphantasia from going in their mind "I know my couch is against the wall, it has three cushions, and the coffee table is a foot in front of it, between it and the TV. I keep my remote on the coffee table. I have curtains by the sliding door, but it lets some light through." Not being able to visualize it doesn't mean you can't remember it, you know.

Then, if you remembered the "formala" for each thing (IE constructing them from basic shapes) you could draw the scenario. Just because you can't conjure a mental image of a couch on demand doesn't mean you completely forget what a fucking couch looks like and how it works the second it leaves your eyesight. The point is you don't have an image of it in your head to draw from.
>>
If it is real, biological thing (which for the record I don't believe - I think you just have low awareness of the subconcious imaging and need to train yourself to visualize) you could still train yourself to paint and photocopy and then stick it on a big canvas. People like those.

But mental visualization is absolutely a skill that can be trained. People train themselves to use method of loci for recall, and they can train themselves to bring the visualization of concepts to the fore.
>>
File: Untitled.png (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
45 KB, 1280x720
>>2558796
The way I do it is I picture a scene from a completely finished made-up film in my head, go through a certain cut in the scene, and pick a frame that I want to draw.

For example:
It's a movie about a boy in his childhood.
He's running home.
>pic related

Don't have a tablet on me and I just used paint, excuse the crudeness.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.