[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Art Products Thread!
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11
File: 111.jpg (143 KB, 858x1100) Image search: [Google]
111.jpg
143 KB, 858x1100
Art Products Thread / Consumer Whore Thread

I just made this thread to ask what kind of sketchbook should I get. And to share what kind of tools you guys use I guess

I was thinking about this,
http://www.amazon.com/Moleskine-Sketchbook-Pocket-Classic-Notebooks/dp/8883701054?ie=UTF8&keywords=pocket%20sketchbook&qid=1465415785&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

is moleskin good for pencil?
>>
I prefer spiral card-back, so I can fold the book down to the size of single page. Also prevents crinkling.

But I hear people like moleskin, try it for yourself.
>>
>>2555158
thanks for the input anon, guess ill buy it
>>
>>2555138
>sketchbook
I prefer using a clipboard with a cover and filling it with printer paper. i discard the trash as needed and archive the really nice stuff (i don't have any) in plastic wallets. Using a clipboard is great because the paper lies flat, and is dirt cheap to set up.
>>
>>2555355
You an me m8, clipboard, printer paper, and #2 master race.
If you can't git gud working with shit materials then you won't with good ones
>>
>>2555138

What's the big deal with Moleskine? They papers not very good and it's quite expensive.
>>
>>2555397
not op anon but i just started using a sketchbook(a cheapo one like 2 bucks) just because i feel it makes it easier to contabilize your progress knowing you finished the notebook
>>
>>2555535
I measure my work in waste paper baskets filled, not sketchbooks
>>
>>2555138
It is, but so is every other sketchbook. I only use moleskine for when I go outside, because it's the only brand that can survive in my bag. Otherwise I use cheap ones at home.
>>
>>2555138
>not making your own sketchbook to save money
>>
Craig Mullins literally uses a clipboard with a bunch of pieces of paper. You don't need some fancy expensive brand.
>>
I like to use Rhodia No. 19's as practice paper. 80gsm, staple bound so easier to manage than a leaf of copier paper, and perforated so you can tear out a page that ends up being a full A4 sheet.

My travel sketchbooks are now plain Field Notes notebooks.
>>
File: arc.jpg (129 KB, 376x626) Image search: [Google]
arc.jpg
129 KB, 376x626
I buy these things from Staples and use a hole punch to make my own sketchbooks. Can use whatever kind of paper I want, and take out/put back/move pages around as I want.
>>
File: 91HhgE34zWL.jpg (686 KB, 1953x2500) Image search: [Google]
91HhgE34zWL.jpg
686 KB, 1953x2500
I got a bunch of Moleskin Cahiers for portable sketchbooks.

I use pic related for a dual purpose lecture notebook and sketchbook and it's surprisingly good, wasn't that expensive either, though all the pages being perforated can be a bit annoying when they start to fall out. I also have an xl canson recycled sketchbook for random shit when I'm at home and canson watercolor one for watercolors.
>>
>>2556694

I didn't know these existed, how much are they?
>>
>>2556737
They're like $4 for the pack of 12 discs, the actual expensive part is the hole punch. You can do it manually but it's way too much effort. I believe Circa and Levenger also make similar systems, it's basically the same thing that Vilppu sells in his store.
>>
>>2555355
>>2555397

Clipboard masterrace reporting.
>>
what are some good paper to make sketchbooks? I usually work with sakura pens and watercolors
>>
>>2555406
The paper was pretty fucking fantastic before the moved production to China and cut the quality.

Still looking for a good replacement.
>>
>>2557171
Leuchtturm
>>
File: memeholder.jpg (635 KB, 1024x3718) Image search: [Google]
memeholder.jpg
635 KB, 1024x3718
I made this comparison for /g/, but I bought the 780 because of /ic/, so reposting here:
Genuine German Staedtler 780 leadholder vs Chinese clone (search "2mm leadholder" on eBay).

>Chinese version is shorter but it's still long enough for full size leads. German grip is closer to the tip which gives better control. Chinese version is much shinier.
>Chinese version comes with very short leads.
>Collet mechanism works perfectly on both. German version has stronger spring and feels smoother.
>Chinese version has crap knurling. Barely any grip.
>German version has great knurling, with extra cut for more grip.
>Chinese version has hardness indicator. German version has built in sharpener. Chinese version has the hole for the sharpener but it's empty.
>I was too cheap to get Staedtler leads, and now I regret it because my Koh-I-Noor 2B is worse than the generic Chinese 2B.
>German version has knurled inside of collet, Chinese version only has ridges. But the grip is strong enough that neither moves so it doesn't matter. German version has thicker metal.

Genuine Staedtler 780 is cheap enough and better enough that I recommend it over the Chinese clone.
>>
>>2555138
Good timing, OP...
I bought a a bottle of Winsor and Newton's art masking fluid a few years ago and totally forgot about it until recently. I tried it out tonight and found it to be really chunky and thick and hard to manage. Is this normal or does masking fluid go bad?

On a related note, have any of you tried the Molotow masking fluid marker? Is it any good?
>>
>>2557334
Is there a reason to go for a drop clutch mechanism vs. the slightly more expensive 925 with a normal advance clutch?
>>
>>2557343
Never tried one, but it looks like it has a plastic grip. The 780 has the best grip of any writing implement I've used, so the 925 would be a downgrade. The only reason I can think of to avoid a drop clutch would be if you only have one hand. You really need two hands to operate it quickly.
>>
File: 61urBvVEoZL._SL1200_.jpg (59 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
61urBvVEoZL._SL1200_.jpg
59 KB, 1200x1200
>>2557346
The -25/35s are aluminium with a brass mechanism. I really like the mech pencil version, but I've never tried a 2mm leadholder.
>>
>>2557033
>>2556331
>>2555397

you literally take a clipboard around town and draw using that? We're talking about going outside, anons
>>
>>2557350
In that case it might be similar. But I like the drop clutch because it's such a simple design. There's very little that can go wrong. Eg. I've heard that click advance clutches can have problems with very waxy leads, and drop clutches have no problems with them.
>>
>>2556331

no tools just rules ;^)
>>
File: 1.jpg (40 KB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
40 KB, 852x480
>>2557353
if it's good enough for engineers it's good enough for me
>>
File: orb dweeber.jpg (139 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
orb dweeber.jpg
139 KB, 1280x720
>using gaymen equipment for digital illustration

is this a meme or is it legit?

this thing has 30 keys and the ability to switch between 8 keymaps. I dig the idea of having over 100 distinct actions accessible at my finger tips without having to move my wrist, so I've been toying with the idea of getting one of these myself, but it hit me that it looks really awkward to use, since the keys are barely distinct from each other. A desktop keyboard has the advantage of being a clusterfuck of assorted keys, each of which are unique and related to other keys in their own way, this lends itself to creating mnemonic keybindings and arrangements for hotkeys. On the other hand, in pic related all the keys are essentially the same 4 columns of the same 4 keys each. is this a valid concern or am I just needlessly being autistic? does anyone have experience with using this it for creative purposes?
>>
File: ideazon-zboard-fang[1].jpg (293 KB, 800x1080) Image search: [Google]
ideazon-zboard-fang[1].jpg
293 KB, 800x1080
>>2557484

I use an older one. Using your own system of key binds takes some time to get used to, but They're much more comfortable for long term use than a keyboard, and take up much less space. Some of them even change the bindings depending on what program you have active.

Read some reviews and don't automatically go the the expensive, gimmick ones.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.