[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stylized isometric perspective help please
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8
File: PIGGY_ISLAND_ANGRY_BIRDS_LAND.jpg (166 KB, 484x562) Image search: [Google]
PIGGY_ISLAND_ANGRY_BIRDS_LAND.jpg
166 KB, 484x562
Hey /ic/, I really really need your help with this! I am trying to draw a large map for a board game, but it needs to be drawn in isometric and it needs to be stylized. I can manage to draw like, a single island this way, but an entire continent + some nearby islands just becomes an out of perspective mess when I draw it. It always ends up looking like a bunch of areas in slightly different perspectives mashed together.
So please, any tips, or even better tutorials or references would be GREATLY appreciated!
>>
File: angry_birds_epic6.jpg (92 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
angry_birds_epic6.jpg
92 KB, 750x563
This is pretty much what I mean. Game in question is Angry Birds Epic.
>>
And the full map.. looks messy but I would pretty much like to achieve this perspective with less detail, so it's easily readable...
>>
File: tumblr_npn76xilSU1qzi5wbo2_1280.png (1 MB, 1200x1697) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npn76xilSU1qzi5wbo2_1280.png
1 MB, 1200x1697
>>2554717
>>2554718
>>2554720
You have all the needed info here, do you want someone to make it for you? Just look at the fucking images and start learning.
>>
>>2554737
Well as I said, I am trying, hard, but I guess I`m just not getting it. As I said, I can manage to create small chunks of areas, but mashed together it looks retarded. That's why I`m asking for any tips or tuts..
>>
Also: How do I even begin doing this? I always try starting wit ha detailed lineart... should I go sketch to color instead?
>>
Bump..
>>
I've done things like that, and wondered "how to they do it?".
The problem is that it's not truly isometric, they cheat a whole lot.
So if you look at it in details, in games that look great, you can see things that don't make sense, look completely out of pers, etc.
BUT. You don't notice it without looking for it, especially while you play.
Now when you draw them... all you are going to notice are the mistakes.
So you won't be able to advance.
My solution is to do things boringly: make them iso, perfectly correct, boring as fuck.
Then apply some fisheye or other lens deformation to make things more interesting, some liquefy, then paint other to exaggerate things more while not looking too weird.

Doesn't matter if you start with lineart or with color, pick what suits you.
>>
File: 593px-Isometric_graph_paper_YP.png (376 KB, 593x767) Image search: [Google]
593px-Isometric_graph_paper_YP.png
376 KB, 593x767
Getting ahold of some isometric graph paper might help you in the beginning.
>>
File: 1361550253.png (376 KB, 616x469) Image search: [Google]
1361550253.png
376 KB, 616x469
>>2554865
1/2 example
>>
File: isometric_th.jpg (15 KB, 404x317) Image search: [Google]
isometric_th.jpg
15 KB, 404x317
>>2554867
2/2 example. This one probably being more up your ally
>>
File: free_models_3.png (874 KB, 2060x910) Image search: [Google]
free_models_3.png
874 KB, 2060x910
>>2554744
>isometric
use a 3d software, c4d has an isometric camera build in also you can generate multiple copies/clones and/or randomize stuff pretty easily or make landscapes within seconds not to mention you can render things as "sketch" or with transparency and merge them on photoshop. i recommend c4d since it's interface it's friendly and you can download tons of assets elsewhere.
>>
>>2554717

Grids exist for a reason. Also maybe not in this case, but drawing something in 3D/CAD software, switching to isometric camera (and earlier on into mesh/grid view) and then painting on top of it is a very valid technique.
>>
>>2554869
>>2554867
>>2554865
Thanks a lot for these anon!
>>
>>2554884
That was actually my first go to process when I started this, but, in all honesty I do understand the basics of c4D and have found quite a few tuts, but, all of them are for one small object or island.. I tried my best but couldn't find anything on how to make one large island with a bunch of hills and rivers, so that I can place these smaller objects on it...
>>
>>2554986
https://u.teknik.io/momYU.c4d
also you can dl tons of projects here
beeple-crap.com
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.