[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you develop good taste?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 9hellboundcenobiterealm.jpg (62 KB, 1280x696) Image search: [Google]
9hellboundcenobiterealm.jpg
62 KB, 1280x696
How do you develop good taste?
>>
>>2553404
you don't. Just look at everyone on this board.
>>
>>2553404
Just be honest with yourself. What pieces do you genuinely respond to? Which do "like" because everybody likes it and tells you it is cool? Once you know what you genuinely like, try to figure out why you like them--what do they have in common?

Also it is important to remember that your tastes will gradually shift over long periods of time, and that's okay. Don't fight it. Always expose yourself to new art and make sure to look at it with an open mind.
>>
>>2553422
wise
>>
>>2553422

Basically, this.

I'd also add that expanding your art history knowledge also contributes to developing good taste.
>>
File: thumbs up (4).gif (3 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up (4).gif
3 MB, 300x225
>>2553422
true wisdom
>>
>>2553422
This guy gets it.
>>
>>2553404
give up on it
>>
File: Eu5AW7A.jpg (381 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
Eu5AW7A.jpg
381 KB, 800x800
i'm not pretending to speak the truth but i'll tell you what i think. learn to identify vulgarity, not in the sexual sense of the word but as in lack of refinement and research. vulgarity in art can be conceptual and/or visual. try not to think with preconceptions, always question the value of things ("why is this interesting? is it because of it appeals to popular trends and contemporary ideas of beauty/appeal/entertainment or does it have interest beyond that?"). trends in art come and go as they do with any other form of expression. ideas of the beautiful and appealing are ephemeral. good art goes beyond fashion. trends can be visual (anime-inspired stylisation, comic style stylisation) or conceptual (video games, orcs, anime girls). sure there are visual movements in art that unify great artists and there is no artist who cannot be attached to a visual tendency of some sort but they are thought-out beyond "i see this around me and i like it so i'm going to do this", they require reflection. pic related is vulgar. i could have attached both the uglygross sjw type art and its antithesis which would be superhero comic style art or highly sexual art with no thought beyond it, both are two sides of the same coin. that's just my opinion.

as for good taste in the purely technical sense, just study.
>>
>>2553404

If you feed a man the best foods, his palate will grow a refined taste. Our eyes aren't that different in that regard.
>>
>>2553983
What are the best eye foods, anon?
>>
>>2554003
Your favorite artists.
>>
>>2553422
Wrong.

You can only like old master paintings. Anything digital or anything that could potentially have photo in it is casul trash and you should kill yourself.
>>
>>2553413
bada-bing bada-BOOM
>>
>>2553422
I dont know about this. I absolutly hate abstract art and I think digital art is just sorta lazy most of the time. How do people even paint digitally? Its the silliest thing ive ever heard.
>>
>>2554420
there is no reason to hate abstract art at least early 20th century abstract art
>>
File: 1458783585834.gif (549 KB, 720x534) Image search: [Google]
1458783585834.gif
549 KB, 720x534
>>2553413
I'll admit it.

I chuckled a little bit.
>>
>>2553422
OP didn't ask "how do you know you like something".
To develop good taste, you have to understand what makes an artwork good, you need to study art a lot, and I'm sure that you'd need to be good artist to truly understand all aspects of art.
>>
>>2553404
Learn design fundamentals and think very carefully about literally anything and everything.
>>
>>2554081
>>2554420
>>2554582
here come the contrarians
>>
>>2554613
That's good, let's cause discussion.
>>
>>2553404
trial and error, and study. actively considering not why you like something, but why you think it works, or is convincing of its character, or what parts of it communicate the most. thinking about how the elements and principles interact with each other within a work and learning from that

idk
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.