[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/bitch/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 999.jpg (43 KB, 523x700) Image search: [Google]
999.jpg
43 KB, 523x700
Bitch thread vol. 2

Get it off your chest here. Discuss whats bothering you or vent your frustrations.

Keep it art related, or related to artistic communities or the hobby/lifestyle/career/education of art.
>>
File: 1462760200051.jpg (46 KB, 600x581) Image search: [Google]
1462760200051.jpg
46 KB, 600x581
I just want an attractive girl who is slightly above my skill level to be my teacher and gf

>mfw the only girl like this I know is a lesbian
>>
>I love your work!
>Thanks. I appreciate that.
>awkward silence
>>
>you're so talented! xD
>>
i keep drawing girls i know and then i kiss the portraits
>>
>>2551510
Dude, you do not want a teacher/GF, you'll start feeling like you arent good enough for her, you'll feel like the bottom bitch because shes more skilled and it will start feeling like youre dating your mother. I mean not unless you want that sort of thing...
>lesbian
let me guess, art school, right?
>>
>>2551515
>talent
le kim jung meme
>>
>find artist friend
>suddenly no responses
>weeks go by
>months go by
ill find a friend eventually. surely.
>>
>be designer in an actual company
>you boss doesn't comprehend how Adobe Illustrator works
>your boss also gets startled whenever you're working on an early layer mask ot clipping mask
>flips out about perspective and insists everything needs to be parallel
>internally cringe because linear perspective isn't parallel, and you keep explaining that isometric is what he wanted, but no, no, he insists it's linear
>internally scream
>>
>>2551519

Depending on the materials you use, it can be lulzy or pathetic.
>>
>>2551611
just graphite
>>
>>2551618

It might fall in the lulzy territory. Get grey lips from it, and just keep them. Pretend to be a druggie or something.
>>
>>2551603
This is what I hate about working under old jews who have no clue what art is, always keeping you from doing any kind of decision work on your own. Some say its a good thing, but when it devolves into you just being an extension of think tanks of investors with no real creative choice other than your individual style (which isnt always used) shit becomes so stale and lifeless.
In concept art, especially for games, end product barely looks like your drawings because you have everyone and their uncle saying "this tests well" or "wouldnt it be cool if he was a buff bald guy?" "we need to make him more metrosexual" "How can we make him look more black/urban but have him still be white" etc
>>
Is this a feels thread as well?

>tfw don't even draw that much but get wrist and hand pain
>tfw art causes you depression
>tfw art gets you back out of depression

are positive feels allowed?

>tfw improve brush economy because too lazy to render a lot
>>
>>2551652
>Is this a feels thread as well?
Yeah.
>>tfw don't even draw that much but get wrist and hand pain
>tfw you work a manual labor job and work is making line control more difficult because its fucking up your arms/wrists

>brush economy
I cant keep up with all these terms.
>>
>>2551669
>I cant keep up with all these terms.
It's a well known term that gets used all the time. It just means efficient brushwork. Think like how Sargent paints if you take it to an extreme. The opposite would be a beginner petting their lines and doing way too many strokes for a given area that then doesn't convey the information effectively.
>>
>>2551642

Lol, I work under a Muslim engineer who's not much older than I am.

The same problem still holds, though.
>>
File: 1366739875241s.jpg (39 KB, 150x156) Image search: [Google]
1366739875241s.jpg
39 KB, 150x156
I get annoyed that I don't have a super recognizable style. I like to draw all kinds and the aesthetics of my drawings vary wildly depending on my mood. This makes me great to hire, but I'm left feeling like I wish all my stuff was more united. Then again, this leads me to believe I'm just not good enough yet to be consistent.

>>2551652
Officially now a feels thread
>>
>>2551696
start taking and copying styles of other artists during your own practice/doodling time, apply various style elements to your own work to make something you might like. "style" is literally just borrowed elements from other artists who influenced you whether consciously or not.
If you spend more time just applying style choices that other artists make to your own work, you might see something more definitive.
>>
>>2551669
So doing other stuff with your hand besides pc and drawing doesn't let them rest because of varied activity but puts even more strain on them? fug
Then again, your job probably involves a lot of repetitive motion without breaks.
>tfw there are basically no jobs where you don't need hands

>>brush economy
Less brushwork to convey a certain amount of information.
Say, I try to get the rim light on the jaw of a face right with one stroke.
I got much better with that, because I don't want to spend forever on something and just want something to read as quickly as possible, so I try to get a lot of info down with few strokes and preferably on the first try.
>>
>>2551696
I think a personal style needs a lot of time to develop and at the same time will be unavoidable after a long time.
It's like a person's handwriting.
It's what sticks, after years of drawing and painting and trying out different stuff.
>>
>>2551725
I cant seem to get rid of my "style", I feel like it might be problematic in the future if i need to shed my pen name and start fresh
>>
>>2551699
I do that already, but my tastes change so much that I'm always borrowing completely different things off different artists. I think I'm getting there though, I do eventually gravitate to roughly the same style. Thanks for the advice though.

>>2551725
Yeah I agree. I think my style will develop one day. I'm still learning a lot right now.

>>2551735
I've never experienced this problem. Are you a person that enjoys change?
>>
File: IMG_20160606_153720.jpg (855 KB, 1918x1918) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160606_153720.jpg
855 KB, 1918x1918
>models pose is slightly off
"Your finger was slightly more bent than that. Can you joss let your hair ever so slightly to the right"

>models pose is severely off
>"Your entire arm was supported by your fingers not your palm"
>"your head was facing me not the fucking ground"
Glares from all over the room (including model and pose monitor)

Don't get mad at me becuase you fuckers decided to do portraits instead of full body poses like me. And don't ducking ask if the pose is okay when you are going to be mad when someone speaks up.

I literally left the room in absolute disgust after that. Unfinished drawing and all pic related
>>
>>2551762
some days mane, some dayz
>>
>>2551762
>not having too much anxiety to ever speak up about pose change
>not just accepting it and restarting a new drawing
what are you even doing on /ic/
>>
>>2551725
If my style is going to end up like my handwriting I might as well kill myself now.
>>
I loathe the cheap snobs in art of every shade of design.
"Art is my passion too".
>Really bitch, even though you never studied art, or draw or paint or whatever.
"Mmmmh. I don't like it it really doesn't look like a portrait..."
>You useless cunt. Art is about much more than just making things look like real life. What about the constant thinking behind every line?
And last : "Omg! I am such an artist! Look at my weird clothes and dyed hair! I love pop art! OMG you draw so well!"
> No comments

Sorry for the rant , I just needed to get it out of my system...
>>
>You should draw x anon, that would be so cool!
>Could you redraw this portrait for me and add in x?
>Could you graffiti my name 5 times in five different but similar styles??
>Why don't you ever draw x?
>Is my drawing done yet?? You're so slow anon!

Bitch if you're not paying for it shut the fuck up. My art is not a slave to your imaginary whims and time frame. Fuck that shit rustles me so hard
>>
>>2551864
wtf is this reverse greentexting
>>
>>2551864
>le andy whore-all le soup cans le prints le tampon in teacup

When meaning becomes the central focus over an artists skill, art becomes nothing more than a pissing match of people trying to out-bullshit eachother. You can get a good grade for shitting in a coffee can if you have a meaningful essay attached
>>
>>2551868
dont draw for your friends, man. you end up being their draw-slave.

If someone asks you to draw something, say you're much to busy with other projects, or you are taking personal time to practice/study.
>>
>>2551544
We are your friends, anon. We're also your family, co-workers, everything. Why would you need anyone other than us?
>>
>>2551936
Yeah, now that I'm older I know better, but when I was younger yo-- every fucking day. I swear every non-artist has the same tunnel vision when it comes to drawing shit.
>>
>>2551982
Dude set up a patreon and get paid 1000 a week to draw MLP shit like Doxy become so famous ;^)

Seriously though dont let it get to your head, you might just be getting the attention because there is clear and obvious improvement, or because you've surrounded yourself with people who are now below your skill level due to your improvement, it might not mean you are skilled though. It might mean you are now comparatively skilled to your peers though and you're seeing a clear difference because you are going in the right direction.
I set my sights high and try to make friends with artists more skilled than I am so I dont get stuck in the "praise echo-chamber" that often happens when an artist surrounds themselves with less skilled people. Im not saying you should dump your current circle of friends though, that would be a rude thing to do.
Just be mindful and keep challenging yourself, remember than no matter how much work there is always something or someone better and that there is always room for improvement, nobody "makes it" in terms of skill, because there is no top to the mountain, and thats a good thing, because there is no end to your journey, it just keeps getting better and better and never ends, it only ends if you stop.
>>
>>2551642
this is what happened to the folk that made the game Gunstar Heroes.
before Treasure was a thing, they were all working for companies that gave the individuals no creative choice and made all the decisions for them, pretty much churning out products just for the sake of money.

they all left as a group and ended up making one hell of a creative platformer for its time, and one of the few titles that pushed the Sega Genesis to its very limits in all areas.
>>
I wish I could take the time and effort needed to work on my flaws but I find myself just wanting to draw for it's own sake. Like I want to be able to sit down and be like "alright I'm gonna dedicate the next 2 hours working solely on proportions" but I just draw faces from a 3/4 angle.
>>
>>2551515

My martial art teacher used to say that when you master a skill, its application seems natural and easy to the eyes of the outsider.
It's only when one tries it himself that he realizes how hard it is.

If they find you talented, that's because you make it look like it comes to you without effort. Must mean you're on the right track or something.
>>
>>2551868
>doing it for free
This is the future you chose.
>>
File: 1420062701488.png (106 KB, 692x692) Image search: [Google]
1420062701488.png
106 KB, 692x692
>>2551501
>tfw no art friend(s)
>tfw 20yr old neet
>tfw no gentle femdom gf that'll let you draw her
>tfw no gf to give you back rubs when you study

Tfw you know you'll git better in 4 years. IF you just keep pushing yourself and constantly study
>>
>>2551501
>tfw cannot fucking stand doing any of the basics for art like construction/perspective so I'll never git gud.
>tfw can't just Bob Ross your way out of being shit at anatomy.
>>
>>2551510
>>2551520

I just want gf, I'm so lonely. She can treat me like shit and be lazy I don't care anymore.
>>
>>2552367
I know the feel anon. And I totally also want a girlfriend who will top me and make me her bottom bitch (in art).

Until I get better than her. Then I throw her away like a used tissue.
>>
File: clorox23.jpg (35 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
clorox23.jpg
35 KB, 960x720
i can't bring myself to be inspired by the works of other artists, illustrators and creatives anymore, i have totally bankrupt my creative faculties and can't produce complete works of my own. i haven't watched my tv shows in months, or played games in almost a year, or browsed tumblr in 3 years.

everyone here can name a great creative whose work they love and adore, and can channel their appreciation of it into tangible works of their own, but i can't, not honestly at least.

I have been working on my EE degree though I can't imagine how it could effect me in this way. I still managed to find the time to work on my painting and drawing skills, yet i've allowed myself to become uninspired and cold.

why did I do this to myself /ic/?
>>
>>2552511
sounds like depression to me
>>
>>2552292
When you had as little artistic confidence as I did, anyone asking for art was a highlight because it meant they thought you were actually good
Then you get on in years and you realize normies have shit taste and it's best to just keep to yourself unless someone offers compensation. I don't do anything for free anymore.
>>
>>2552567
>normies have shit taste
More like anyone who isn't me has shit taste.
>>
>>2552527
It does sound like it, but I'm not an unhappy person, sure i may be socially inept but it's not something that bothers me.

i'm just mad that i've let my only life long hobby stagnate, and am worried that if can't continue to pursue it competently and fruitfully, then I can't enjoy it and will be left with nothing to do in my down time aside from shitposting and programming.
>>
>>2552573
Depression isn't just feeling sad. It's usually characterized by a lack of feeling or a numbness, and a loss of interest in things that previously were passions.
>>
>>2552572
If you draw nothing but your name 100+ times in the same style graffiti and think that's something to aspire to, you have shit taste. Sorry senpai
>>
>>2551519
My fellow!
I do this too except they're animations.
>>
>>2552511

I know a lot of these feels. I'm really starting to feel like I'm one of those 5% of the population or whatever that has a stunted imagination. When I close my eyes and try to think about a subject I'd like to draw its just blank, so I stare at the blank page for awhile, make some useless marks then erase it and give up.

I know people will just say "you need a better visual library", but I've been drawing objects from life and studying perspective for half a year and still can't do shit without a reference.
>>
File: 1465257870510.gif (322 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1465257870510.gif
322 KB, 300x300
I just want to be able to draw the cool shit that i want to see but nobody draws, and godfucking damnit all that i draw is fucking shit.
Fuck this shit.
>>
>>2552743
>tfw you're at a level, where years ago you'd say "If I had that skill I'd do something awesome with it!"
>tfw stuck in copy mode
>>
>>2552743
We all do, senpai, we all do.
>>
Man im tired of being lonely.

I'm just ignored by all my art peers, ive talked to them before but they make no effort to know me at all, show absolutely no interest.
Man I just want some art friends to chat with and talk about drawing cute girls..
Ive had the worst luck with making friends man, its lonely.
>>
>>2552760
We're here for you, anon.
>>
File: wake me up inside.png (42 KB, 170x170) Image search: [Google]
wake me up inside.png
42 KB, 170x170
>>2552758
i guess that i should just give up, if i'm not capable of sacrificing myself to achieve my dreams then i'm a worthless piece of shit.
>>
>>2552760
I know the feel but in a different way.

>want to make art buds
>want to talk about actual artwork and progression and tips and what not
>art buds only want to fan boy Wow and people better than them all day
>either them or nothing so schedule a draw day
>they immediately get bored after 1 hour and ask if we can just "hang out" to fan boy more

I just want a group of animators that want to get better like I do. Not just dick around all day doing god knows what. I can dick around on my own if I wanted that shit
>>
>>2552315
>>2552367
>>2553118
>>2552760

Join /ic/ - Artwork/Critique on steam and I'll harass you guys to study.
>>
>>2553118
Newgrounds is doing an animation contest every two weeks, it starts on June 13, you should check it out.

As far as animation friends go, good luck. If you do end up finding legit animation friends come back and give me some tips.

>>2553137
What happens in the group?
>>
>>2552760

Most (not all) of the artist "friends" I've made just end up hating me in the end or pretended to be friendly to me only to be malicious after. It always happens by saying something that ends up getting taken the wrong way. Saying "sorry" and being mushy about something they take literally feels like a pain and you'll then quickly understand artists are fragile yet bitter people. It's not worth upkeeping the nice guy attitude around artists when such is inevitable.
>>
>>2553137
I'll definitely do that. Thanks man.
>>2553175
Will do. I mean they are nice guys I guess, but they don't have any drive to learn fundamental shit. I'm getting good at drafting and shit at a really fast pace despite not going to school. But only because I've been drawing nonstop and actually trying to improve. But they literally ignore the work I'm putting in and religating my improvement to genius or some shit. I'm like fucking you you know what I do. everytime I try to explain what my process is you stare at me blankly and I know you "in the trash it goes" my advise.

I understand that I'm the inspirational one in the group that keeps them pushing but I need people to keep me pushing harder too.
>>
>>2552671
d-do you also pretend they are your gf?
>>
>>2553210
Post your work. If I think i can pass you, I'll join.
>>
File: 2016-06-07_14.32.46.jpg (170 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-07_14.32.46.jpg
170 KB, 1080x1080
>>2553352
So like I said I'm striking for animation (preferably storyboarding) but am currently trying to fill in the holes in my draftsmanship.

So a lot of my current work is all of nude figures and watercolor studies like these.
>>
File: 2016-06-07_14.35.33.jpg (94 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-07_14.35.33.jpg
94 KB, 1080x1080
>>2553508
>>2553352
And these
>>
>Tell a friend that I feel like a shitty artist who isn't improving, or if I am improving, improving way too slowly for someone who draws as much as I have and do
>"noooo you're great don't be sad you're a really good artist don't compare yourself to others"
>Tell a stranger that I feel like a shitty artist who isn't improving, or if I am improving, improving way too slowly for someone who draws as much as I have and do
>"you fucking cunt you're way better than me, get your head out of your ass some of us can't even draw a straight line stop looking to get your dick sucked"
Everything hurts.
>>
it's been 2 or 3 months since i've gotten my tablet and im not use to it, im so uncomfortable drawing with one. i'm getting so frustrated, i try to do the same studies i do in my sketchbook and they come out so bad

it feels like since ive switched ive lost all the things i learned, especially with figure drawing, its like i lost all sense of proportion and perspective. i cant even do basic fucking grey scale value anymore, it's so easy to do with a god damn pencil, everything is so much easier with a pencil

im so fucking frustrated, and now i feel like throwing up because i drank to much coffee an attempt to focus

fuck it all
>>
>>2553557
Fix yourself up and make it.
>>
>>2553558

stay 100 percent with tablet for at least a month, if you keep switching between it will continue to feel like shit.

If after a month of staying with the tablet and it still feels horrible than stay with paper. Some people just can't do tablet.
>>
>>2552511
You are depressed anon.
>>
I just want to quit art but I have nothing else to do with my life. My art is shit and I seem to be getting worse at practically everything, even though I try to think critically and experiment. I'm embarrassed by how much better I should and could be but somehow can't get out of regressing. Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2553972
Post work, famalam?
>>
>>2553683
i'll try this i guess, i dont wanna give up so easily but part of me does, i just feel like being able to draw digitally would help this day and age, ya know?
>>
>28 years old
>used to draw comic book type art as a teenager
>basically gave up all my art interests except for music when I was 21, and even before that didn't really practice properly
>trying to draw again now, but my art looks like a child's
>my younger sister is 10 years my junior and miles and miles ahead of anything I will achieve anytime soon
>feel like a complete failure that will never achieve anything noteworthy in any field

i have wasted my life.
>>
>>2553972
>Not gonna make it
Yeah with that attitude you surely won't. Nobody said that being an artist was easy. It's a good sign that you care about your skills and want to improve, but maybe it's just a psychological block or something and you just need to get over the hump to improve. Learning and bettering your art is not always a straight-forward and linear process. But, you can't make it if you give up before you get there, anon.
>>
File: 1454808956807.png (13 KB, 555x407) Image search: [Google]
1454808956807.png
13 KB, 555x407
>acquire crush
>he's so beautiful
>want to draw him
>afraid he'll freak out and think i'm crazy
>stalk him on facebook and draw from his pics
>cant show anyone
>(aside from studies) only draw scenes that resemble me and my crush's interactions very closely
>cant show anyone

anybody else creepy here
>>
>>2554190
>Stalk him on facebook
>Afraid he'll freak out and think I'm crazy
You're already teetering on crazed obsession. Just fucking ask to draw him like a normal human being and maybe you'll grow a healthy relationship. If he doesn't respond well then get rid of the art and stop drawing him.
>>
>>2554190
i like to draw little girls
>tfw family asks to see something you drew
>>
>>2554226
>not doing environmental paintings on the side to show others when they ask
>>
File: sweat.jpg (43 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
sweat.jpg
43 KB, 640x400
>>2554226
You better start sketching some adults and plants, anon.
>>
>>2551501
>Seeing shitty artists be all high and mighty.
>Tumblr mentality towards art "Oh, studying doesn't matter! So long as you have fun and stay true to your style :3!"
>The Talent meme.
>Ridiculous price of art school.
Just to name a few.
>>
>>2551501
I lack the drive and hate my artwork.
>>
I'm a prodigy, would probably be rich and have the world by storm if I wasn't so lazy about painting. I am so damn lazy and apathetic, and just lacking in passion. I'm a real let down.
>>
File: sol001.jpg (169 KB, 392x392) Image search: [Google]
sol001.jpg
169 KB, 392x392
I'm so irritated right now...
>Person from the other thread whining about spending a lot of time + effort on art, trying to get things as perfect as skill level will allow, all the while hating to draw
>Annoyed because artwork with days spent on with lots of wrist pain gets overlooked. Wouldn't care so much if these shitty ass artists didn't get 1K+ notes on horrible drawings
>Decide to make terrible art, putting no thought or a single ounce of effort into it at all to see what would happen
>Almost at 100 reblogs within the first couple hours with it being up
>Gaining lots of followers
>Reblogs of people saying how much they like the it and to "go check this artists out".

This shit is pissing me off. I'm trying to rake in more notice because I want commissions of my real actual art, where I think about anatomy and what body part goes where. And this shit? I didn't even build it up with basic shapes. Can't these kids tell how off this art is? Why do they think this actually looks good!?
I'm getting messages from people saying they love my "new style". It's seriously causing me to rage just because of how much work I put into my real art.
Pic related.
>>
>>2554226
Wait, how do you draw little girls? Where do you find references for that? How are you getting good at drawing them?
>>
Why the fuck didn't I start earlier? I was whining about the same art problems since I was a young teenager. Only if I just went for it, mistakes and all, just kept drawing every day. I am too old for this shit. It took a decade to learn "better to suck now than suck later, get all the mistakes out of the way" jesus fucking christ baka slap myself.

>>2552511
>working on EE degree, is artist

holy shit anon me too! EE majors FTW

What may help with your creativity is to just live life and go experience stuff, you got to have some input in to have some output. Decide what you want to do with art, I realized a lot of people can't answer that for some reason. What's your purpose for doing art? Can you answer that?
>>
>>2554316

Don't get your panties in a bunch. It's tumblr and full of 13 year old girls. They're not paying for artistic quality, they're paying for the cuteness or what appeals to them. Just do your own thing and if you're not happy, go somewhere else.

>>2554328
>baka
**i am slapping myself
I don't know how baka got in there.
>>
>>2554323
i draw a lot from imagination/just looking at little girls in general
you can also use nudist photography if you want to, not illegal.
>>
>took a break from 3d animation
>what was suppose to be 4 weeks. turn into 6 months
>failed all of my personal goals of where i wanted my animation to be
>only have half my animations are done
>next workshop starts in July
>unsure if what i have is good enough to gain admittance.

Good news, i am now up to 2 hours a day of doing animation. so i got that going for me. L
Compare to last month i was doing none.
>>
>want to draw well
>don't want anyone to see it
>Why do I want to draw in the first place?
>>
>>2554406
To draw for yourself. All the porn in the world. Just for you! It's like hoarding gold. You feel like a king.
>>
>>2554406
Thats what i do too
I can never be satisfyiedd with my stuff.
>>
What bothers me is that people actually like modern art -abstract. Its completely idiot and disgusting. Garbage like that could have only been spawned by jewish minds to be honest. It needs to be banned. I dont care what liberal pansies say, it takes no effort or talent to produce this.
>>
>>2554349
t b h desu
s m h baka
senpai f a m
>>
File: DADA BOY.jpg (94 KB, 666x960) Image search: [Google]
DADA BOY.jpg
94 KB, 666x960
>>2554436
>>
>>2554316
They have no interest in your skill level, they just support your homosexual subject matter.
>>
>>2552111
I have this problem too, I just staart doing shitty gestures instead of what I was planning to do.
>>
File: bad circle.jpg (210 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
bad circle.jpg
210 KB, 2000x2000
>>2553558
trace a coin on your tablet and see if there's any issues with the screen size/ratio/whatever it's called. Pic related
>>
>>2551510
>the only girl like this I know is a lesbian
>lesbian
Just become trans, anon ;)
>>
>>2554436
I think legislation against modern and post-modern art would invigorate that community through actually providing a clear purpose for them. Everyone wants to be a rebel, and you would probably spawn a whole new generation of modern and post-modern artists just by presenting them with an opposing force. There's nothing stopping you from creating and consuming representative, classical and neo-classical art. Representative art is still the main form that appeals to the masses and you can succeed in art without ditching form or classical aesthetics.
>>
>Show Mom my sketch book
>all safe for work stuff
>later draw a bunch of porn in my sketch book
>a week later Mom brings my little cousin into my room
>Anon, show your little cousin your sketch book
>Oh shit.jpg
>tell them that I'll show them in 5 minutes
>Anon, why can't you just show it to your cousin now
>tell them to go wait in the living room
>but, anon why?
>"please just do it, just go into the living room and wait"
>they finally listen to me
>I proceed to rip out all of the porn from my sketch book
>>
>>2552182
Or they realize it's shit and they're trying not to hurt your feelings
>>
>>2555669
I did with my uncle, but missed a page.
He didnt notice though, i think.
>>
>>2555669
You handled that really poorly. Could have come up with a different excuse like say you have been using your sketchbook as a combined drawing thing and journal, and so it was too personal to show, but you would show a select few pages.
>>
>>2554436
>Garbage like that could have only been spawned by jewish minds to be honest
Typical anti-modernism imbecile. All sieg heil and muh realism.
>>
>>2551510
>want mentor
>no one wants to mentor me because I like anime
>>
I want to learn to draw because I have nothing else to be proud of. My brothers are both over achievers while I sit around doing nothing. Drawing will be my escape from this dark numbness. Please help.
>>
>drew pretty decent gestures for a few days
>it's starting to get fun because it looks good
>suddenly can't draw for shit and it looks worse than before I started

What the hell man, I hope this is over after a good night sleep.
>>
>>2555676
>think parents care about personal things
>>
>>2555669
>pornfags
>>
I fucking hate acrylic for real its such a fucking pain. Do I really have to buy a fucking medium to use it properly?
>>
>>2554414
>>2554418
Seeing it is better than dreaming I guess
>>
Does anyone go through a really bad depressive episode and it's like you've forgotten how to draw? Not just having an off day or week, but just a sudden regression in drawing ability and eye, like you went through a stroke and have to relearn months or years worth of ability.

I get like these maybe a month or two apart and each time makes me fear I'll never revert back to my current level of progress and I'll be stuck drawing even more poorly than before.
>>
>>2557328
But anon, if you forget drawing skills worth months of learning every two months, shouldn't you be continually regressing in skill for years now?
What's it like drawing like an embryo?

But for real now, are you sure, this isn't just a simple case of your eyes getting better and consequently your stuff looking worse to you?
>>
>>2557335
The drop in skill and visual eye isn't 'permanent' but I always feel like there's a slight dip in my 'real' level right afterwards. I try to study and push myself as much as possible within that gap between episodes but I regress enough each time that my progress that spans years looks like it's only been months.

And I wish it was my eye getting better but I even lose the ability to eyeball proportions and color. My older technically reliant stuff like studies looks way better than the stuff I produce now. It sounds like I'm being paranoid (which I might be) but it really feels like I'm in an ever-shrinking box whenever I'm like this.
>>
>>2557328
>depressive episode and it's like you've forgotten how to draw
Nope,but I get episodes of "Never Gonna Make It"

>Not just having an off day or week, but just a sudden regression in drawing ability and eye
If Im working on an animation for a solid month, my ability to draw gets hindered.

>have to relearn months or years worth of ability
I dont have it to that extreme, months or weeks of relearning at most

How often do you draw? How often do you study?

It sounds like self deprecation, imho. Like, hardcore self deprecation.

Do you have an archive of old drawings from a few years ago? If so, maybe look back at those drawings and make some comparisons? Try to see if youre truly regressing.

Maybe look at some Fine Art from the Great Masters and see where you need to make improvements. Or maybe look at your favorite artist and try to replicate what said artist does?

Keep your chin up senpai! Remember to have fun
>>
I'm a hobbyist that just draws stylized for fun, but I've come to a point where I will not improve until I finally start learning fundamentals among other things.

The issue is that I have no idea where to start and everything looks so awful when I try that I feel like giving up. I know the right way is to keep going but the moment I see my 10 min sketch looking like shit I just quit drawing.
>>
So, I'm 18 and go to this art school. And holy fucking shit, I shouldn't have skipped it when I was 12 until this fucking year, witch now recently have ended. I have decided that I want to create in my life, but I am so much worse than evryone my age. Well, not autistically much, but at the end I felt how the teacher slowly gave up on me and started working with the best ones instead. Everyone is so much better, are already doing something in their lives or at least are sucsessful, and here I am, I don't even know if I want tos tick with animating, painting, or other shit like that, maybe writting a fucking book or even trying tomake movies, but I should be charismatic for that shit, and everyone either hates me or are just repulsed by me, see me (rightfully) as a lower human being at best. Holly shit, when we done the water painting, I completely done some retarded shit with it, and THE teacher, witch mainly teaches drawing, but has a pasion and unbelievable skills for waterpainting had fucking panicked for a second, when he said that I have a very "original style" some sort of "craze" to it, when in reality, it looks like some nonsense shit. The only reason sometimes I am somewhat acceptable in drawing (speciffically people) is that I occasionally autism-out and start COPYING pretty good. Not using any geometry, or helping lines, or anything, like you should be able to do. Just fucking copying. Oh god, I don't know what I will be doing with my life, most already knows their plans well, they are really skilled but will do NOTHING related to art and most likely score in life, the fuckers. Meanwhile, me and my parents, poor as fuck as usually, live 20 km away from my inspiring city, witch has plenty of art galleries and other stuff like that. I can't get there every fucking day, because there's no normal fucking bus traffic in this fucking god-forsaken "village" into the city. The only way for me to get attention in school as an artist is devoting myself 100 %
>>
>>2558053
and, offcourse, me being a 4chan user, an occasional /r9k/ lurker and, offcourse, a fucking loser in general, I can't just devote myself because I have a fucking lazyness problem. It's not even fucking funny anymore, I have to go to a fucking psychyatrist because of that and a load of other bullshit, because it has became bigger than me over the fucking years of the little faggot FUCKING GLORIFYING LAZYNESS AND "GAYMING" fuck, oh my fucking god, please help...
>>
>>2558053
>>2558065

Seek help. You're still young and can make fast and good progress.

Jesus christ sounds like you need put on nerve pills
>>
File: face.png (63 KB, 170x197) Image search: [Google]
face.png
63 KB, 170x197
>Spend a year just drawing figures from reference
>Still can't draw shit from imagination
kill me
>>
>>2558103

Separate skill sets with limited overlap.I find it astonishing how little this is discussed in the art literature.
>>
>>2558109
I see what you're getting at. I keep getting caught in this dumb cycle of
>try to draw
>can't think of pose
>study references to try and build mental library
>come back and still can't think of poses
Honestly now that I think about it, it's probably just that I have a habit of trying to draw without much of an image in mind. I just make lines without a goal and expect something to come out. I need to start coming up with ideas before bullshitting something on the page.
>>
>>2558103
Well have you studied perspective and form also?
>>
>>2558103
>why can't I draw something that doesn't exist if I studied stuff that exist for years!!!.
Referenced and from imagination are 2 totally different categories. Try loomis instead of dodson.
>>
after my sudden inspiration to learn to draw i tried to draw that new circle owl pokemon and i drew an oval just end it all i give up
>>
File: what kind of feel is this.gif (70 KB, 192x224) Image search: [Google]
what kind of feel is this.gif
70 KB, 192x224
Tried to do my own request, and i just pulled out a gigantic piece of shit.
>>
File: 1460865708400.jpg (5 KB, 250x175) Image search: [Google]
1460865708400.jpg
5 KB, 250x175
art studies are the most infuriating thing to me so instead I just draw from imagination and copy popular artist in the hopes i can improve that way. I tried drawing with no reference a few days ago and it came out like total shit, I also haven't improved in months. just kill me senpai
>>
>go to sleep
>get told in my dreams I'm shit and will never make it
>wake up 3 hours later
>eyes red
>realize I'm shit
>>
>>2556532
This is called "getting better."
>>
a friend of mine that teached me some stuff when i started

i discovered she traces EVERY drawing she does...
>>
>>2558303
Chin up anon, this is good news.
If yours looks like shit in comparison it means there's room for improvement.
Take notice of how you goofed it and draw it again.
Iteration and observation are key to improvement!
>>
>draws humans just fine but bg is shit
>questions quality of art skills bc tfw no art friends
>my art is not bad but not good enough
>>
>>2557409
>episodes of "Never Gonna Make It"
Yeah, the heaviest part of my depressive episodes gets impacted by this a lot. I already feel shitty about everything else but getting anxious about other artists, my work, and potential future just makes me worse. Even the last few days where I haven't been able to draw and wonder if I'm actually gonna quit has only lead to me thinking about drawing 24/7.

Thanks, Nosebro, for the post. I'll try to look closer at my old stuff and study the greats and my favorites. Time for some (positive) introspection.
>>
>>2551501
"Remember to have fun" seems like the number one thing people tell me, when I talk about my procrastination habits with the shrink (amongst other problems) she says I forgot to have fun with my art long ago (I forgot to have fun in general) and then this place goes on and on about
>draw everyday
>git gut
Maybe I'll never git gut but art used to be the thing I came home to, not a chore I subsequentely tried to avoid now.
>>
>>2559125
Try all different kinds of art, anon. I really got tired of drawing (in art school) and there was a long period afterwards where I just didn't want to make anything. Then I attended a lecture by Stephen Silver where he gave advice for caricature: don't even look at the paper until you're done, just move your hand how your subject makes you feel, kinda like blind contour. It got much more interesting results than I ever had before, and it was fun; drawing was actually surprising again. After doing that for a while, my passion for art in general is coming back.
>>
>>2558053
>the teacher slowly gave up on me and started working with the best ones instead
That's a sign of a bad teacher, teaching people who already know everything instead of teaching the students who really need it. Anyway, relax I didn't start seriously getting into art until I was around 22.

>>2558065
Saying and thinking bad things about yourself only demotivates you and causes a load of other mental problems, you clearly don't want that. Try to stay clear of places like /r9k/ that glorify self loathing. I know negative self talk can be addicting and it's a hard habit to break, but once broken you'll have a shit load of confidence and energy.
>>
>>2559150
>Stephen Silver
I'm a little jealous, I'd love see one of his lectures.
>>
File: image.jpg (104 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
104 KB, 960x540
>Be me... right now.
>Be 19 years old.
>Two years since I should have started College.
>Be in this small art school.
>Be best friend with these two guys.
>One is almost a wizard, 24 years old, works at Best Buy, likes anything pokémon, draws anime all day and never started college.
>The other is a really smart dude, 23 years old, left college and ended working in the night shift of a 24-hour store, dealing with niggers and thus hating all of humanity.
>Mfw the pokemon guy has better social skills than me.
>Mfw the sociopath store dude is smarter than me.
>Mfw I'm going to end in a shittier work than theirs.
>Mfw both of them draw way better than me.

Why try, then?
>>
>>2551510
>mfw had a bf who was shittier than me in art who never took my advice
fuck me
>>
File: 1452602613351.gif (5 KB, 210x121) Image search: [Google]
1452602613351.gif
5 KB, 210x121
>Met a girl in my college class because she saw me drawing random stuff while we were in a group for some lab
>We talk about drawing a bit
>She shows me her stuff (its mostly like photo studies and stuff, nothing cringy or crazy good)
>She is better than me in terms of finishing and values
>Girl has never drawn humans and lacks the knowledge of anatomy and is outright shy too
>Show her my pictures that are mostly human studies and incomplete pictures from classes
>She's impressed with what she saw
>Tell her to take a drawing class at the college
>Ask her if she wants to take the same class since I (don't really) need to take Life Drawing 2 and she can take 1 (we're in the same class either way)
>Kinda afraid that this might go wrong and just end up not really going anywhere with her
>>
>>2559389

Stop with the defeatist attitude. Show those fuckers you are better than them.
>>
>>2551501
>working on a fantasy self portrait at Starbucks
>Frazetta style
>random dude looks over my shoulder
>"hey that's cool as shit, you drawing Conan?"
>make friend
>takes me and my wife at the time out for sushi with his wife
>>
>>2559389
Man up you little bitch.
>>
>>2559182
>That's a sign of a bad teacher
the op admitted he's lazy and doesn't practice enough. he's paying to be there and he doesn't deserve extra effort from the teacher if he's not willing to put in the time
>>
>>2551868
>Why don't you ever draw x?
>Is my drawing done yet?? You're so slow anon!
this hits way too close to home fampai
>>
>>2551762
>She is chubby

Bitch would be fat soon
>>
>>2553137
Draw tits or GTFO
>>
>>2554226
Same here fäm

>>2554323
Drawing from imagination. Pretty easy, but would have been great if I had a little sis
>>
>>2551868
>>2551936

Fuck off Marco. Why did you ask for nudes?
>>
Learning how something works, then being disinterested in half of the artists you follow.
>>
>>2559389
Get to drawing or perish, these years go by faster than you'll ever know. You're supposed to try because it's what you want, how do you think I feel when I see some bright 16 year old who grew up with the new internet, has way better skill than I ever did at that age, can easily pander because it's what they actually like to draw and are disciplined enough to go after STEM in college? It doesn't feel good to see all of these teens who know what the world is like right off the boat and are better equipped both mentally and with better technology. Pisses me the fuck off if I'm being honest.

I'm 24- wasted my early twenties being a depressed piece of shit, don't do what I did. A lot of us in that age group just kinda got lost. I'm desperately trying to find my way in this world and they are too, don't be fooled they probably have more angst than you right now.

That feeling never goes away unless you actively work on your skill, trust me.
>>
>have to have day job to feed self
>don't draw anymore because too tired
I literally eat, sleep, and pass out once I'm done with work. I already have to force myself to sit down and get the job done so much that I just can't do it again at home.
>>
>>2559417
I actually know some people that are great at art but give shit advice
>>
>>2559467
Might want to tell her you're interested before you commit to taking a class with her, but if it doesn't work out maybe you'll get a good fiend out of it like I did
>dated a qt I met in art class
>ended up splitting
>turns out she was actually a lesbian
>stayed friends
>life at home became worse and worse
>she was still there for me
>end up closer than ever before but just friends
>gonna take another semester of classes with her
>she basically saved me in terms of my future
I had no idea what I was going to do and she brought up the major she was doing which happened to be something I've wanted to do since childhood

Life is weird and frustrating, but I don't want off this ride just yet
>>
>>2559389
>People older than me with more practice are better than me
>Why try?
Stop being a faggot.
>>
>>2551510
I was in the opposite situation. It was a cute dynamic at first, but i ended up pushing her more and more and got frustrated when she wasn't improving at the rate i knew she could. Though it wasn't the main reason, it contributed to things falling apart. You don't want that kind of dynamic in a long term relationship.
>>
>>2560967
I would actually just send him tutorials that I've used and some basic fundamental shit that he didn't know. He was all about "muh style" before he actually knew how to draw.
>>
>>2560967
>follow artists on tumblr
>see questions about their process, tools, advice, etc.
>"lol omg i just throw shit on the page until it works. thanks so much for the ask sweetie pie you're the most beautiful star in the galaxy desu OUO UwU <3 <3 <3"
It's this every time or they're snarky and condescending as shit for no reason and they STILL don't give an answer.
>>
>>2561246
Artists get tired of being asked the same inane questions, especially when it's just on their process or tools, which can at times come across as condescending and reduces their art to tools instead of skill and ideas (I want to draw like you, what brush is it that gives that effect??). Many artists also work in an intuitive manner and have trouble verbalizing exactly how they do what they do, or if they did it would take more than a small tumblr writeup to fully explain. Also once you are skilled you realize that techniques and tools are very personal things and what works for one artist won't necessarily work for another, so it is best to just discover on your own instead of trying to do what artist X and Y do.
>>
>>2561251
I understand that, but it's just the attitude behind it. I get they are asked many questions, so just be like hey, here are some basic tutorials, read the faq (if they have one), tell them and it comes from experience. Easy. No cutesy shit, no asshole remarks. Done. Instead it seems like they are over compensating for not knowing or wanting to explain it. Just be straight up about it, that's all.
>>
File: 1397547431979.gif (1 MB, 499x341) Image search: [Google]
1397547431979.gif
1 MB, 499x341
DUDE DRAW NINJA JESUS RIDING A RAPTOR ON MARS SHOOTING A MACHINE GUN FIGHTING NAZIS WHILE BEING FUCKED BY ALIEN CHICKS IN A RACE CAR RACING AGAINST CAPTAIN FALCON ON FIRE WHILE TAKING A SHIT
>>
if my hands are dry or my neck hurts or i hit my knee on my desk i can't do shit

also it's great when you sit down to draw and you forget three different things and have to get up three different times and by then screw it
>>
>>2559182
I'm the same guy you responded(both of the posts) and I have to say that the teacher only gave up on the last week, when we had this 4 day practice session. He actually tried to improve me from the start, but my passion, probably just doesn't appear as much anymore, and about the second response, I actually made an improvement like that with myself once roughly 4 months ago, it felt good and motivating for a bit, it's just hard to keep it that way when you're not good enough yet and everyone around don't really want to accept you, or even worse - fake it in front of you that they 'accept' you. But I guess I could do that, if I would just keep my company to myself and concentrate more time into more productive things
>>
>>2558121
I'm just like you, holy shit. it's been driving me insane
>>
>>2555669
This is why I keep separate sketchbooks.

One for practice and study, one for personal projects, a little one for doodles, and one for porn.
>>
>>2551501

>going to school for engineering
>come home to draw
>want to be engineer, but want to be as good as professional artist too
>neither as good as a full time nerd who goes to robotics competitions ten times a year, nor as good as an artist who spends all his time drawing
>not best at anything

fml
>>
>>2562029
a-are you me?
well i also work as a programmer so im shit at 3 things not just 2
>>
>>2562063
>>2562029
So is everyone in /ic/ going for an engineering major?
>>
>>2562063
well i also work as a stripper so i too am shit at 3 things not just 2

>>2562073
well it shows more promise than majoring in art
>>
>>2562080
post pic of your anus with a sharpie in it
>>
>>2562029
Fuck this is my life, splitting my time between guitar, piano, opera, literature, drawing and fitness is driving me nuts. I love all of them so much but it saddens me that I will never excel in any one of them. A jack of all trades but a master in none I suppose.
>>
>>2562083
>fitness
Workout when youre not drawing

>music, literature, drawing
Maybe get an 'Idea' notebook? Once a month look through it and mess around with the music, literature, and drawing ideas.
>>
>>2554378
>nudist photography of children

I'm willing to bet money that's just a cheap excuse by the photographers who want to acquire CP
>>
>>2562435
well i meant specifically pictures of children who are at nudist beaches and stuff
>>
File: image.jpg (228 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
228 KB, 1280x1280
>>2562447
>>
>>2562447
...But thanks for the definition anyway, anon.
>>
>>2562083
>opera
There's an interesting one. Drawing doesn't really seem applicable to your other interests, unless you want to make an comic about a bodybuilder that comes with a soundtrack.
>>
>>2562447
Ambert alert out for this anon.
>>
>>2551501
I hate this double standard about music piracy or streaming. While people up and take photos and image art off Google image search and put it on their profile.
>>
>>2562651
That sounds cool as fuck man
>>
>>2551501
>first gf broke up with me 1st sem sr year after 2 and a half years
>studied furiously
>studied my apathy off
>built myself into a better person and a better artist
>learn more on my own in 6 months than I did in 2 years
>became good friends with a girl in her sophomore year
>interesting thinker, pretty, and a half decent artist despite no formal training
>we start dating after discussing our mutual interest in each other
>I graduate
>tfw couldn't find a job in the art industry
>tfw new gf breaks up with me after 3 months
>everything I'd learned and earned after my first breakup evaporates into nothing

And now I'm an angry, miserable cunt again. I couldn't find a job in the art sector so I ended up going into a trade.

I bought a new tablet just so I'd "have to" start practicing again, but I just can't motivate myself to start drawing (or do anything besides come home and jerk off).

I'm a fucking idiot, please kill me, I'm too fucking scared to do it on my own, apparently.
>>
>>2562073
Remember internships matter more than major

If you pay for ivy league and dont use its name to get very good internships you are a moron
>>
Vetry is only 16 years old and her work is amazing.

I wish I had that talent at such an early age.
>>
>>2563199
lel "vetry" is old timey word for "farts" here
>>
>>2563022
If you've just graduated, ain't it normal to just have a regular job for a couple years?
>>
>>2563199

Eh, who? link?
>>
File: ss+(2016-06-15+at+02.45.34).jpg (97 KB, 984x767) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-06-15+at+02.45.34).jpg
97 KB, 984x767
>>2555432
Oh shit thanks for this.
>>
>>2554436
did you even go to college?
>>
>>2551501
Just want an art buddy. Tried adding/talking to artists I admire but they blew me off, no one responds to me in group chats.. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here and it's really frustrating
>>
>>2563543

time to git gud
>>
File: 7358569670.jpg (76 KB, 486x359) Image search: [Google]
7358569670.jpg
76 KB, 486x359
>one year since made up my mind that art is my thing and I want to pursue it seriously
>can't really tell if I even made any progress at all, maybe technically, but all my drawings are still boring crap
>somehow got into uni, starting in 4 months, prof told me my portfolio is lacking but he can see genuine interest in the subject
>my confidence went up through the roof, can't wait till uni, don't even care if it's literal meme degree (animation), I just want art buddies
>the school my dad's been working at for something like 20 years is closing down, he's probably just gonna move to another one since he knows people, however still unsure about future
>I've already wasted tons of my parent's money during neet period
>got crappy job, but don't enough to support myself
>genuine worried
I've lived my whole life in middle class, normal mode and financial worries are kind of novelty to me, plus I'm still new to the whole adulthood thing. I just don't know anymore, I'm gonna get a loan or something just to survive uni and then end up even more in debt after that. Feels like shit desu, like I'm just playing "let's be an artist" while completely ignoring reality. Then on the other hand I know that this is what I want to do in life and nothing else will satisfy me
fuck
>>
File: 1393798790583.jpg (33 KB, 315x363) Image search: [Google]
1393798790583.jpg
33 KB, 315x363
how can drawing backgrounds be so frustrating? from architecture to nature, it feels like so much work, not because you want to convey something but because some things must be there like windows on a building or leafs on a fucking tree. Its even worse when you have to use vanishing points and grids to get the perspective right, staircases are a nightmere, even in their simplest forms, there are so many details you have to add, only for things to not feel off or feel like something is missing.

And then texture, holy shit the texture, either different colors, shading or hatching for so many different objects, I just sit there and think I'm drawing every single brick on the fucking building eventhough I already simplesized to a level where it doesn't feel off.

Doing the grids alone feels like the greatest waste of time but if the groundwork isn't good, I lose motivation even faster, which is why I never completed a single background picture.
>>
>>2563568
Don't get a loan
>>
>want to draw
>feel guilty because I could be putting that time towards more useful parts of my life
>>
>>2553508
hey for story, I advise you to do quicker poses, and a lot of quick sketches of people from life. furthermore start studying design concepts like shape language and applying them to characters and sketches. this will train you more in the way you draw for storyboards. what you are doing now is not bad but do you think you could draw a stylized character from imagination in a certain pose extremely quickly? I see a gap between the life drawings which are quite good and your stylized sketches which are currently far far weaker which can be bridged by what I'm talking about.

also, to get a story job you need to understand camera and film relatively well, a couple good things to do are copy from films you like and reverse storyboard a sequence from a script.

I'm not a 2D artist myself but a friend of mine improved very quickly and is a summer story intern at pixar, my advice is based on stuff he did.
>>
>>2563423
Think he meant vetyr
http://vetyr.tumblr.com
>>
>>2554402
animation is exhausting dude... i feel you. I left art school early cause of financial reasons and was going to get a shitload of stuff done over the next few months. but I only finished about 1/3 of what I planned. I always overscope.

>>2558053
>>2558065
school can be stressful, I sympathize with you. but it sounds like you have issues. take the psychiatrist seriously, and maybe see a therapist too if you can. you sound super panicked but you're still young, you're only 18... there are people double your age who change careers and whatnot. take it easy. as an aside, the thing you mention about copying visually without geometry/perspective - that's a useful skill to have.

>>2563580
try using a 3d app to help with perspective?
>>
>>2563254
Yeah, probably. I mean, I'm not bitching because I don't have a job in my chosen field. The trade I'm in isn't bad at all.

It's really more that I don't draw or paint anymore. I don't find any pleasure in it anymore, so whenever I hype myself up enough to try again, I just fall flat after a half hour and mope. Shit, I don't enjoy anything these days.
>>
A year has passed, and I still don't understand how to draw bent arms and legs OR how to draw one oval joining with another one.

It's like I'm overthinking everything.
>>
>get someone to model for me
>fuck it up
I feel so sad afterwards.
>>
>>2563859
>http://vetyr.tumblr.com

She's going places. Very good drawing skills for her age
>>
File: let go.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
let go.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>2563199
I used to get demotivated by supposed extremely young artists until I remembered how easy it is to lie about your age on the internet. Seriously, everyone who is jealous of these people needs to give that a thought.

Even if they are actually that age once they hit 18 all that attention they get will vanish in an instant, leaving them in devastation as they no longer have tons of people stroking their ego on a daily basis.
>>
File: why_even_live.png (16 KB, 520x549) Image search: [Google]
why_even_live.png
16 KB, 520x549
>>2552583
not op, but after my suicide attempt and the resulting heavy medication which returned me to my happy normie tendencies, I still struggle with getting back to art.

The one aspect of depression that never went away for me is the fucking indifference to my work, and it's killing me. I can't get myself to do anything.

help me /ic/
>>
>>2564166
>Even if they are actually that age once they hit 18 all that attention they get will vanish in an instant, leaving them in devastation as they no longer have tons of people stroking their ego on a daily basis.
Yes that certainly happened with Miles, Ross, Azevedo, DanielC, Jaime, and wait what? They're still all very famous and successful? Who woulda thunk.
>>
>>2564199
>with Miles

that guy sure loves to draw himself a lot
>>
>>2564210
He's a good looking guy. And self portraits are common for artists to do because it's cheaper than painting a model.
>>
>>2564242
tfw an artist is both skilled and good looking and you're neither
>>
>>2563543
I know that feeling anon. I had 2 long winded posts about it. I'll just say. The beat way to make friends is to be truly serious in your endeavors. Basically what the anon below you says.

Good artists are busy and your fellow artists will not pay you any mind.
>>
>>2563568
If you need my words. Than I just saved your life. Only go if you get a full ride, from a grant or a windfall. My life is seriously affected by poor financial planning. Find peace in another area of education if you must go. But continue working on your craft.
>>
>>2563828
Draw outside. Or away from your computer. Don't fret about studies. Don't think about a career you like art and it brings you peace.
>>
I can copy basic form but I can't draw out of imagination for shit

I just want to make a porno like my Asian niggas
>>
>>2564289
from the sticky:

>If you suck at drawing from imagination, you are a beginner.

>Maybe you can copy photographs perfectly, creating photorealistic pencil drawings. Maybe you still struggle with symbol drawing. Maybe you start off great with your paintings, but never manage to draw symmetrical faces. You need Loomis.

>The starting point is Fun with a Pencil by Andrew Loomis. Now you learn the basics of construction, the skill you need when you want to draw or paint from imagination.

>Remember that this book quickly touches on the basics; try to have fun with it.

>Good news: you can download Loomis's books for free right here:

>http://alexhays.com/loomis/
>>
>be me
>26/m
>shallow beautiful people think im deep b/c i'm an artist.
>enjoy 15 mins of fame
>go home
>realize how quiet your room is
>imgoingtodiealone.jpg
>wake up
>weekend
>say some stupid shit
>normies eat it up
>fuel my ego
>go to /ic/ to stay regular
>hide my head i wanna draw my sorrows
>no tomorrow
>no tomorroooow
>wake up
>go to art party with normie hipster trash
>say some stupid shit
>normies eat it up
>fuel my ego
>go to /ic/ to stay regular
>hide my head i wanna draw my sorrows
>had sex with girl who lives across the street
>7/10
>i dont love her
>realize how quiet your room is
>wake up
>phone rings
>beautiful girl crying about normie bullshit
>i want to fuck her but i don't care about her problems
>she comes over
>we drink
>the more she talks the less i think of her
>she sounds like she's 4 so this whole conversation is going nowhere
>turns out she was molested as a child or some shit and has this weird personality disorder.
>tell her i'm going to sleep
>"can i sleep with you"
>mydick.jpg
>we spoon for like 10 minutes
>i get the hardest boner imaginable, and it's like stabbing her in the thighs
>she start grinding against it
> after like 20 minutes of this we end up fucking
>i think i'm in love with her. but she's freakishly tall.
>after we finish fucking i'm about to actually sleep. She mumbles something, but i don't quite hear it.
>I ask her to repeat herself
>"no rules, just tools."
>i turn the light on as fast as i can,
>it's no other than legendary figure drawing instructor Glen Vilppu
>I am so happy
>He whispers into my ear, "Build volume."
>He grabs me with his powerful art hands and puts me on my hands and knees
>I'm ready
>I spread my ass cheeks for Glen
>He penetrates my butthole
>It hurts so much, but I do it for Glen
>I can feel my anus tearing as my eyes start to water
>I push against his force
>I want to please him
>He roars a mighty roar as he fills my butt with his love
>I've made it /ic/
>i've made it
>>
>>2564319
i believed this story until youve said you made it
>>
>>2551501
im sick of my inability to just sit down and draw on my own, every time i have to badger myself or drink
>>
>>2564319
are u me
>>
>>2564319
This anon is literally me
>>
>>2564304
Btw those books are no longer legal as the rights were scooped back up a few years ago.

Not that I care kek.
>>
>>2564319
10/10
>>
I'm starting to realize that it's impossible to improve and have fun improving at the same time. What I really have to ask myself is do I want to have the added stress of doing boring as shit exercises every day for hours followed by boring studies for the next 5 years before I can draw what I really want to draw?

And i'm really discouraged because I wanted to get good enough to draw super good from imagination without a reference. Now I realize that is a skill almost nobody has and I can't count on every figuring out how to do it. I would have to gamble the next 10 years of my life on developing that skill and hope it actually happens.
>>
>>2564730
I think it's more pathetic that the artists we admire work for pennies despite all their hard work.
>>
>>2558053
I am also 18 and have been there, but on the other side. I trumped all the other students in my unit. Haven't spoken to any of them since finishing. I think they hated me
>>
So I meet this bitch who I had a crush on for the longest time and she draws a lot better than me but it's motivated me to step my fucking game up.

Anyways, shit happened and I don't like her anymore (or at least, try not to think about her) but her oldest brother who is dope as fuck is going through depression and is acting suicidal. Her 2nd oldest brother told me that the family is concerned but they don't know what to do cuz they're Asian I guess. So he told me to talk to her about it and to get in contact with one of their cousins that will help. Now I'm wrapped up in this whole family situation and I just wanna stop talking to them and just distance myself, but make sure the bro is alright first. Like goddamn it though. I just want to fucking draw and stop talking to this stupid bitch.

Also I need to fucking make art gains and hopefully make money off of it to move out soon because my parents are fucktards and just keep me away from drawing.
>>
File: 025 - 9SyfKil.png (90 KB, 480x477) Image search: [Google]
025 - 9SyfKil.png
90 KB, 480x477
>>2564896
>So I meet this bitch who I had a crush on for the longest time and she draws a lot better than me but it's motivated me to step my fucking game up.
>shit happened and I don't like her anymore (or at least, try not to think about her)

Me 3 yrs ago, She doesnt post her drawing anymore, so Im unsure if I've surpassed her.

I'd say talk the cool brother and make sure he's alright. Then get back to studying
>>
That feel when even Scott Robertson in his "How to Render" thinks you are a little bitch if you use gouache because it's "archivist" medium.

;___;
>>
>>2555432
>>2563436

I came here to shitpost about my life (woe is me, it's everyone else godamn fault if I'm not drawing everyday) and I actually learned something useful today.

Thank you D/ic/k! I don't know if I'm gonna make it, but at least I'm drawing real circles now. Really thought it was just me being shit with a tablet.
>>
>>2565260
craigmullins thinks so too, only syd mead and quaker oats guy aren't faggots for using gouache
>>
>>2564896
>>2564994
Is it easy to crush on other artists? I hardly ever knew any growing up and quit college before I got to the meaty classes.
>>
>>2563926
Sounds like a case of depression]

Get well
>>
>>2565260
What does an "archivist medium" even mean? Like it's outdated?

>>2565270
Craig learned to paint at Art Center with gouache. Depending which posts of his you read he says conflicting things on it, sometimes recommending it and saying it is a good medium to learn with, other times saying it is really hard to use and you shouldn't use it unless you are a masochist.
>>
>>2565296
If they're cute and are into a lot of the same things you are into yeah. Otherwise they are good source for connections.

Honestly, if you do crush on someone that draws better than you, it might motivate you to get your shit together but at the same time it might just depress you and then you start thinking of them too much if their feelings are unrequited.

So it's kinda like a double edge sword. Just don't give a fuck anon. Please, just don't crush on any artist for the love of god. I'm trying to save you much frustration and months wasted that I could've used to draw more.
>>
>>2564994

I'm curious anon.

Did your feelings for your crush fuel your fire?

Are you satisfied with the work you've achieved after 3 years?
>>
File: 075 - i0YYJ7d.jpg (7 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
075 - i0YYJ7d.jpg
7 KB, 228x221
>>2565443
>Did your feelings for your crush fuel your fire?
Yea, but I had to change the "fuel," or reasoning to git gud. I think its foolish to fuel your flame with only jealousy and envy.

>Are you satisfied with the work you've achieved after 3 years?
No. A part of me hungers for improvements. After a year of trying to surpass her, I decided to git gud so I can make great pieces of animation and art.

Maybe the reason I tried to git gud, in the past, was so I could get back at her; for not dating me?

Im positive she's forgotten about me
>>
>>2565296

I started drawing cuz of a qt half Japanese girl in high school,

we used to hang out for hours after school, drawing and chatting and shit. I think she moved to japan to draw, it's been 5 years.
>>
>>2551501
I'm terrible at this and though I've seen improvement in my art over the last three years, I still can't really visualize anything in my head.

I'll probably never be any good.
>>
>>2565417
>it might motivate you to get your shit together but at the same time it might just depress you and then you start thinking of them too much if their feelings are unrequited

Yeah, fuck that- honestly hope I don't encounter this as I move along... crushes are absolute pits of despair even with regular people. I give too many fucks unfortunately. Even thinking of someone right now even though I know I really, really shouldn't- gonna try to detach myself as best as I can when it happens.
>>
>tfw can't draw 2D spouse without hating how you draw them
>tfw others draw said character amazingly
>tfw probably never gonna draw them good enough
At least it's good motivation. That's the only plus.
>>
Art is one of the few things I'm really passionate about, I can binge draw no problem for days at a time. But sometimes I feel so tired and lazy, and it makes my drawings worse right down to my fundamentals when I force myself to draw SOMETHING. I know tons of artists struggle with emotional issues but I don't see it visibly affecting their work like this. I wish I could pull myself out of these slumps because when art is all you have and you can't even art well, you feel like shit, man.
>>
>>2565393

Yes, outdated like oils and watercolor.
>>
I'm too stupid to paint digitally! Seriously, i cant understand shit of photoshop

and carrer related I hate that i need to get blood drawn to enrole for art school, I cant stand needles fuck fuck fuck
>>
>>2565994
*career

sorry my english sucks, second language and whatnot, plus im sleepy
>>
File: feelpu.gif (19 KB, 300x328) Image search: [Google]
feelpu.gif
19 KB, 300x328
>>2564319
I was really getting into this story

Gj on making it anon
>>
>>2565994
> i need to get blood drawn to enrole for art school
Where exactly do you plan on going to art school?
>>
>>2566054
in my country some universities do this

and the one im planning to attend has this bullshit health promotion programme or whtever

hence my problem, but fuck it I dont have to enrole till next year
>>
>>2565482

I think that I should try to detach myself from my girl of interest and hopefully stop doing this for sheer envy, hopefully then I can be happier and become an amazing illustrator.

>No. A part of me hungers for improvements. After a year of trying to surpass her, I decided to git gud so I can make great pieces of animation and art.

I'm sure you've improved anon. It's good that you're doing this for yourself now rather than for some girl.

>Im positive she's forgotten about me

She didn't see the potential in you. You don't need someone like that. You'll find that qt that's right for you. We all will.
>>
>>2551501
I am a perfectionist, i can't paint often because i keep at one detail for way too long
>>
>>2566120
work bigger and distance yourself from the canvas once in a while maybe?
>>
>>2565486
I started drawing because of a cute cousin of mine which was at us for one summer. after we exhausted all the games we could think off we started drawing shit around us
>>
>>2565673
So just take a fucking break?
>>
File: 1415030216316.jpg (332 KB, 699x1548) Image search: [Google]
1415030216316.jpg
332 KB, 699x1548
>>2552743
same here

btw, epitaph is a qt
>>
>>2553137
isn't steam a game platform?
>>
>>2553557
what about

>keep drawing everyday with an schedule
>>
>>2553557

What about stop being lazy fuck bitching for bitching sake?
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.