[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For some reason every time I see a piece of art someone has made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1446510105952.jpg (24 KB, 500x373) Image search: [Google]
1446510105952.jpg
24 KB, 500x373
For some reason every time I see a piece of art someone has made I hate the artist and the piece itself, as opposed to being inspired.
So I ask, how do I stop feeling these emotions whenever I witness someone else's success?
I've wanted to make a name for myself in the animation industry for a long time but I get turned off and resent it all whenever I see some succeed.
What is wrong with me?
>>
Nothing's wrong. That's what happens.
>>
>>2548996
Talk to a therapist instead of 4chan because whatever thinking patterns your brain is stuck in is definitely abnormal. It's fine if there is occasionally some jealousy, but if every time you literally can't even appreciate something or be inspired by it because you are filled with hate then something is wrong.
>>
>>2548996
This happens to every one. The trick is to look for work that inspired you as a kid or even right now. For example when I watch any sort of smooth animaton it inspires me because I used to love it a lot as a kid
>>
>>2549008
>>2549882

I think you've spent too long on /ic/ if you just assume that everyone else is as bitter and vindictive as the average poster on here.

I don't give a shit about the success of other artists, at least not in any negative way. Even artists I don't like. I seriously can't fathom why it bothers people so much or why people spend so much time and energy complaining about other artists.
>>
>>2548996
git gud
>>
>>2549915
You haven't been rejected.
>>
This is a fixed mindset vs. growth mindset thing. Look this up.

You see other successful artists as a threat because you think it makes you look worse. You want to be perceived as good without actually being good, and they're fucking that up for you.

Maintain a growth mindset and you not only will get better faster, it should help mitigate the shitty feelings of inadequacy you're feeling.
>>
>>2549935
Being rejected is a sign of weakness
Kill yourself
Real artists never get rejected
>>
>>2548996
ressentiment par excellence, onii-senpai
>>
File: sbpage99.jpg (267 KB, 1210x1600) Image search: [Google]
sbpage99.jpg
267 KB, 1210x1600
Hey. Gonna get real for a sec, incase you actually need some help instead of people just being bewildered by how "wrong" you are. I had similar feelings for a couple of years. I accepted them in college because competition made sense and drove us all to get better at designing and drawing crazy shit. I became uncomfortable with it- as you seem to be- when I had my first studio position, had a good salary, and had job security. The feeling wasn't going away even though I had "succeeded." I still couldn't enjoy stuff I saw online, and I got fed up when it started invading my personal work. I couldn't focus because while drawing I would be comparing myself to a similar piece someone had just made- and at a point in the piece too early for that to be a helpful "benchmark" comparison.

So I stopped. I stopped looking at other people's stuff. I realized it was more toxic than helpful at the time. I unfollowed every artist on facebook and instagam. Including my friends that I would get jealous of. I quit stuff like art station and tumblr cold turkey.
I did that for about 8 months. When I started looking at stuff a bit more, things were different. A piece that normally would have activated my vindictive ego instead triggered "MY GOD HOW ARE HUMANS CAPABLE OF SOMETHING SO SUBLIME WE'RE ALL JUST DUST."

Which is better, I would say.

Give it a shot, if you can. If your first impulse when thinking about it is "No I need to look at the industry standard and be absorbing their techniques and tricks!"- I understand how legitimate that is but... I would advise you to consider how "helpful" that has been the past 6 months. How many proud pieces have you put out? Imagine, instead, that for just 6 months, if you want to see something amazing:

You have to make it yourself.

Best of luck.

Recent SB page attached because some people can't take advice without knowing the other person draws.
>>
File: GmkfFqh.jpg (18 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
GmkfFqh.jpg
18 KB, 600x600
>>2549973
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.