[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Had a good question
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1424289887076.jpg (42 KB, 600x695) Image search: [Google]
1424289887076.jpg
42 KB, 600x695
Hello
I was wondering what would be a good price range for a portrait. I have been commissioned and haven't settled on the price yet. For more information I have a B.A. in art and a working artist but always had trouble in pricing my art.
>>
>>2547940
Not enough info. What medium? Who is hiring? What is it for? What is your skill level?

There will be very different answers if it like a digital fantasy portrait for a card game or an oil painting of some important person.
>>
>>2547946

It be acrylic or oil. It be a lady having a portrait of her children.
>>
>>2547947
post an example of your portrait work

skill level dictates price
>>
>>2547947
Usually portrait artists charge by square inch. The bigger the canvas the more expensive the painting.

How skilled are you? How long would it take? Do you need to do a photoshoot or something for it? Just make sure you don't undercharge. It's a skill that you spent time learning that not everyone has, and you should charge as such.
>>
>>2547940
For a portrait, I mean, depending on who's asking for it and what they plan on using it for the price varies wildly. Ask yourself how much time you plan on putting into it and how much value that time is to you vs how much you think they'd pay. I'm just throwing this out there but I'd say 250 to 300
>>
>>2548157
Are you kidding? 250 for a painted portrait? from a working artist?

never change /ic/
>>
>>2548181
I mean if it takes like a couple hours. If it's digital it can be pretty quick, maybe a day's worth of work. If traditional you'd charge like 500 because of the physical presence of the piece etc.

And again, you have to take into account who you're charging. If it's some rando asshole teenager off dA then you're not going to get away with 500, maybe not even 300. Sometimes you just have to settle because you might not get jack shit otherwise
>>
>>2548260
>Sometimes you just have to settle because you might not get jack shit otherwise
Fuck off. You earn more if you charge more. If you want to make minimum wage, work at mcdonalds.
>>
>>2548269
>hey /ic/, what's wrong with my fries?
>read the sticky, you need moar salt
>>
Usually you should settle price before even initiating the commission.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/business-services-charge-how-much-30158.html
>>
>>2548181
$100 is reasonable if private commission. Or you could work at Walmart for 15 hours instead, your call.
>>
>>2549036
not gonna make it
>>
>>2549047
>tfw already made
>tfw haven't worked a real job in 4 years
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.