[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I make flat colors look good? What type of inking/lines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_nw3d82HtW41ttiq1ho1_1280.jpg (853 KB, 999x999) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nw3d82HtW41ttiq1ho1_1280.jpg
853 KB, 999x999
How do I make flat colors look good? What type of inking/lines look good with flat colors? Please help me /ic/ I've got 4 days to complete an assignment
inb4 tumblr pic yes that's where some artists post
>>
>>2547900
You won't get much specific help unless you actually post your image that you are struggling with.

If you are really stuck you can colour pick off an image that has the palette you want. Flat colours can look good on almost any inking style btw.
>>
>>2547900
well if pic is related, dont make the lines black but a darker value off the colors they are attached to works well I think.
>>
File: CXZaPK7UAAAqyVM.png (818 KB, 599x629) Image search: [Google]
CXZaPK7UAAAqyVM.png
818 KB, 599x629
>Colors
Color theory
>Inking
Translate the form, not lines on paper
>>
>>2547900
Who is the artist of OPs drawing?
>>
>>2548273
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=2801691
>>
>>2548276
>http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=2801691
Thanks! I am on an iPad and can't reverse image search.

I like the loud color choices
>>
>>2548230
the artist who drew that got some guts
>>
>>2548230
>>
>>2548362
Why?
>>
>>2547900
a thing that really helps me with flat colors is not jus manually picking off the color wheel but using color swatches before hand and carefully planning out the entire range of colors i want to use (usually try to keep this very limited) in the image before hand with care to balance what goes where and why (think about how the blue is used in the image you posted as an accent/highlight to draw attention to the figures)

also look into photography for inspiration as to what colors work well together in a composition, again, referring back to the image you posted, i could totally see all those same colors on an image of a sunflower with a ladybug on it with just a sliver of a blue sky and clouds in the background
>>
Besides the "lines not dark but a darker value of the color below", what I often found the key to make a flat color drawing really beautiful is non-flat coloring in carefully selected spots (like your picture, a few shadings and highlights) and subtle gradients everywhere (like Morita Kazuaki).
>>
>>2548472
artist, most likely drawing with his right hand, that dudes right hand, geez boss I dunno
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.