[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
your favourite vidya artists? >Yōji Shinkawa https://www
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: 4MxCXQa.jpg (409 KB, 1086x1257) Image search: [Google]
4MxCXQa.jpg
409 KB, 1086x1257
your favourite vidya artists?
>Yōji Shinkawa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouI8KXTdzhI
>>
>>2547290

that man is an ink god.
>>
>>2547290

How does he have such an abstract understanding of light and form that he can use a brush to make such a detailed face/person? It starts out looking like random lines and strokes but at the end the form is unmistakable. How to develop this skill? What do you have to study to be able to do this?

Also, I've been wanting to start using brush pens just to see what I can make, but I heard that using them can lead to bad habits forming. How true is this?
>>
File: TTS_Artwork.jpg (182 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
TTS_Artwork.jpg
182 KB, 1024x768
noriyoshi ohrai
rip
>>2547290
can't wait to see what he does now that he doesn't have to only draw bigboss over and over again
>>
>>2547788

What bad habits were alluded to?
>>
File: 1463508522561.jpg (386 KB, 1024x1440) Image search: [Google]
1463508522561.jpg
386 KB, 1024x1440
>>2547793
Didn't he also design Kojimmies new studio mascot?
>>
>>2547806
Any material/media can build bad habits into you, especially if you rely on some innate quality of that media to make up for or obfuscate more fundamental things in your art like draftsmanship

>>2547810
I hate that helmet, but otherwise it's a cool design
>>
>>2547820

I wouldn't say "proficiency with a medium" is a bad habit. If there are quirks of that medium that you're utilizing that aren't accessible in other mediums you're just utilizing the advantages of your chosen medium. Trying to be a jack of all trades just means you're going to be mediocre at everything rather than good with mediums you like.
>>
>>2547824
If you are just developing a proficiency in the medium and are effectively utilizing the quirks of it, then that's different (and a good thing). The bad habits I'm talking about would be like abusing texture brushes in a digital painting to hide the fact you can't actually paint foliage properly or something. Or doing a bunch of painterly brushstrokes in oils and rubbing out a lot of edges to make it more artsy and interesting, but the strokes and lost edges do not reinforce the drawing it just is a surface thing on top that is deceiving the viewer from the actual ability of the artist.
>>
I believe people like those pick up their styles just by fucking around on the paper until their brains tell them that it looks good.
Should never judge for ""bad"" sketches that don't look "real"
>>
File: Darksiders-8.jpg (168 KB, 1000x833) Image search: [Google]
Darksiders-8.jpg
168 KB, 1000x833
I have a lot but paul richards is not very know around here.
>>
>>2548549
I don't think that's how Shinkawa works, if you did that with a brush pen you would likely just end up with a black page
here he is drawing https://youtu.be/9gJQyVfKZJg
you can see that he knows exactly what he is doing
as for how he does it, I would say that he is really good at visualizing what he is going to draw, understanding the planes of what he is drawing and then drawing in the core shadows
https://youtu.be/JUM3SHNCfpM this is sort of what he does except shinkawa doesn't have ctrl+z
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.