[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Use your viewfinder This book is a meme. I did the upside
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
>Use your viewfinder

This book is a meme.
I did the upside down drawing and the vase thingy. Can I skip this book and do Keys to drawing?
>>
File: htwins.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
htwins.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>2546209
Do whatever you want to do!
>>
>>2546211
I want to improve tough. What would the hodges do?
>>
>>2546216
I feel like that book is too pseudo-science bullshit to be of any significant help. Just read the loomis books.
>>
>>2546218
Loomis > Keys to drawing?
What loomis book first?
>>
>>2546209
>>2546218

yep the theory is pseudo science bullshit, but the excersices works, because this book is intented to teach observational skills, if you really want to learn drawing for imagination you go for loomis.
>>
>>2546209
keys to draw >>>>>>>>>>>> right side

right side shouldn't even be in the sticky
>>
>>2546223
It's the same observational skills as Keys to Drawing though right?
>>
>>2546222
>6222 ▶
> >>2546218 (You)
> Loomis > Keys to drawing?
> What loomis book first?

I generally go for Fun with a Pencil first, then go follow your heart after that.

>>2546223
I heard that, but I guess I'm just too wary of pseudo-shit to give it a chance. OP, if you feel like you can still derive use out of the book without buying into the 'unlocking your brain' bullshit, then take onto it instead. Whatever works, man, this is your personal venture.
>>
>>2546209
it's a shit tier meme book designed for retards and normies, most of the knowledge in it you will get with actual competent instructors and common sense
>>
>>2546230
Well. i'm rather confused right now.
I'm gonna try Keys to drawing first (suggested everywhere I go)
then fun with a pencil.
thank m8
>>
>>2546235
Can you explain why and some examples?
>>
>>2546237
Pretty much as long as you're learning, you're doing fine. Any sense of 'direction' is just pointless since you'll need to get there any way and art/illustration isn't a skill that's learned linearly. Knowing some things make it easier to know others, but at the end of the day you just need to cover it all.

I just hate Right Side because it gets borderline spiritual while any of the Loomis books remain pragmatic and grounded into reality. I can't advocate for WHICH Loomis book to pick, only that you shouldn't go for Right Side.
>>
>>2546239
When the book opens with "Let's get ready to unlock your unused portion of the brain" then something is fucking up.
>>
>>2546245
Seems fine to me.
>>
>>2546245
kek
>>
>>2546247
Don't invite me to your ritual parties, please.
>>
>>2546239
Take one of the basic exercises in the book like using negative space, literally every art instruction ever created will explain to you what it is, and usually without treating you like a retard, theres nothing in this book that makes it worth reading over something else
>>
>>2546229

yup, technically, both books will teach you to draw something in front of you accurately, and the most important concept, observe something. So it's your choice, pick the book that you feel more confortable.
>>
watch accuracy by Dorian Iten, it gives you the actually useful stuff in those books without all of the meme garbage and is free
>>
File: Rside_brain_resume.jpg (671 KB, 615x2827) Image search: [Google]
Rside_brain_resume.jpg
671 KB, 615x2827
>>2546209
>skip this book

Come on Anon, even if you just put one hour per day into it, that book and the exercises would last you 2 weeks top.

Here's a resume I made of that book one year ago. Hope it will help you to skip the insufferable feel-good stuff and go to the good parts.

I'm currently reading Keys to Drawing, and so far yes it's better and goes deeper but also is more demanding. Just skimming through chapters I can see that I'll spend way more time on it.
DotRSotB is basically a book for people suffering from self-doubts (I can't draw, I can only draw stick figures, I'll never make it...) and/or total beginners.
>>
>>2546263
2 weeks to master sight and observation? Nice. What about KtD?
>>
>>2546263
I'm at page 129, started 3 days ago. I guess i'll do the yellow highlights, thanks man, I appreciate it.
>>
>>2546263
Whoa.
Do you do these often?
I would like to see this for some other core books for /ic/
>>
While we're on the topic of worth when it comes to resources, what's the opinion on Drawabox?
>>
>>2546273

You're welcome, Anon. We're all gonna make it.

>>2546275

Unfortunately I more or less stopped drawing in 2015 (for reasons which wouldn't make for a good greentext story). I'm only back into it recently, hence returning to /ic/ one week ago.

>>2546271

I wouldn't say "master" (hell no) but it gave me a good start as I had no idea of what I was doing. In comparison, Fun with a Pencil was too difficult for me at the time (I'll soon give it a try again), but of course everyone is different.

I'm currently on KtD, I'll make sure to post the resume once I'm done with it. My goal is to do that for each book that I'll use but I don't know how many time it'll take me.

> KtD

Please note that the dude who wrote KtD is a great teacher: he put a resume of the key ideas at the end of each chapter: just print each of them and you have a resume of the whole book on 8 pages.
The genius part is that he put drawings from the corresponding chapter on these resumes, which will tremendously help your brain to remember the stuff when you re-read it months later. A really good idea.
>>
>>2546230
me too. i have the book and almost finished it but its too much of a pain to read through. one part stood out to me where she brought up that her book got shat on by neurologists but she was kind of like "ill just go meh and show how i give no shits of the way i borrow scientific vocabulary for my own armchair purposes and tell you that meaning is still there." gaaaaah.. i feel like the most important parts can be summarized in a pamphlet in a step by step process. the rest of the book is if you really like this person and want to be in her little circle. fuck, man. i paid money for this.
>>
>>2546431
Definitely a huge mistake. I just downloaded it all and am slowly spending money to own the physical copies of the Loomis books and any other errant books I can't find downloadable around here. Be sure to always read the openings, since most don't do that. That's what I did for the Right Side and that alone let me know this bitch was bonkers.
>>
I feel the exercises in "drawing on the right side of the brain" also help line quality and help you to get straight lines. Furthermore it gives you confidence, since the pics you get are pretty good actually.
>>
>>2546245

Whenever I see it recommended people almost always add the disclaimer "just ignore the pseudoscience and do the exercise."

That said, while her choice of words could have been better, you could easily take that statement to mean "We don't utilize our full observational skills - with practice, you can."

And that's true. Any beginner artist will clearly demonstrate we don't look at the world through an artist's eyes without 'unlocking' it (IE, developing observation skills).
>>
>>2546209
>tfw /ic/ feel for a marketing scam
This books is literally just an ad for scam "courses".

The time you spend trying to do this dogshit may be spent elsewhere for better results.
>>
File: books.png (2 MB, 1326x744) Image search: [Google]
books.png
2 MB, 1326x744
>>2546209
Of course you can, I even recommended that. This book is a fanatical pseudo-scientific stuff, contains some nice exercise, but for complete novices. I have read a lot of books and I can confidently say that the right side of the brain is unnecessary. Do not read books by Christopher Hart too, it will be wasting time, for me it was. I strongly recommend Loomis. If you want to be good this book will help you a lot. Good luck.
>>
File: Spider-Drunk.jpg (761 KB, 944x1048) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Drunk.jpg
761 KB, 944x1048
>>2546263
>Alright, a cliffnotes for this book
>Let me just break out the book and get started, I want to do something today
>Oh, I don't really understand why it's not matching up to the book, but I'll do the first exercise (Self-Portrait, person from memory, hand) now anyways.
One tiresome hour later
>It's the wrong fucking version of the book

God dangit. It wasn't as fun as it was tiring. I''m beat after that. And rusty, holy shite.
>>
I was wondering if you guys use e-books or real physical books, and if you notice any differences between using either or?
>>
>>2546209
2deep4u

>>2546218
>psuedo-science
It's not psuedo-science, it's old science. So are Newtonian physics, they're not always correct but they're a good basic model for explaining things most of the time. Same for Drawing on The Right Side of the Brain.

>>2546245
>I'm using all my brain all the time and don't need no training or technique to improve
You do you, champ.

>>2547314
>fanatical
Projecting
>>
>>2550391
Shoving tobacco smoke your ass for purification was pretty old science.

It's really just too padded out and doesn't offer the information in a better way than any other book. It's a waste of time.
>>
File: don't hate me for adapting.png (9 KB, 242x182) Image search: [Google]
don't hate me for adapting.png
9 KB, 242x182
>Get started in art around August of last year
>Bought this book thinking it'd help me improve
>Try the exercises
>It bores me so much that I feel depressed
>Eventually give up on it entirely in November
>Start just drawing what I like to
>I've seen more improvement in just doodling what I like
Do what you will but I wouldn't wipe my ass with this piece of shit.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.