[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Marker thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11
File: Alcohol-Markers1.jpg (59 KB, 600x362) Image search: [Google]
Alcohol-Markers1.jpg
59 KB, 600x362
What's a good paper to use with alcohol markers that won't just suck up all my ink? I'm using a Canson XL mixed media pad right now but I want to know if there's something better out there.

Also, general marker thread.
>>
File: work18.png (516 KB, 616x525) Image search: [Google]
work18.png
516 KB, 616x525
>>2535690
i know there's papers in arts stores just for markers. i havent had the chance to try one just yet. though i'd really like to. most of this is literally on printer paper lol

all my traditional stuff is currently done with markers/ink.
>>
File: IMG_20160523_174531_539.jpg (3 MB, 3006x3930) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160523_174531_539.jpg
3 MB, 3006x3930
I'm using bamboo fiber paper for that and I fing it great
>>
>>2535790
I hate you even more now.
Also, If you're going to get paper, I suggest you get Rhodia notebooks, but make sure they don't have grids/dots. It's really smooth and has almost no bleed for a heavy handed pleb like me.
>>
>>2536130
no h8 m8.
i'll give it a try. would be good to have suitable paper
>>
File: IMG_20160104_021852.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2176) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160104_021852.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2176
I like to experiment on lots of paper. I'm also a paper hoarder? I just like... paper.. idk. it's weird. Most of the work I do I use cardstock. Craft grade,white cardstock. Thickish paper, low bleed value, and allows for nice layers and has a good grasp of staying "wet on wet" for blending. For commissions I use Fabriano bristol board. Fucking the greatest feeling paper on the fucking planet. Michaels used to carry it, and they did a buy one get one free, plus like 25% off, so I got like four pads for 15 bucks ages ago. Great paper.

I have a giant 18x24 pad of Bienfang Marker paper, but its way too fucking thin. I can't deal with flimsy ass weights. I have copic illustrations from like 2011 and they're still perfect, no bents and shoddily stored cus they're on the fucking cardstock.

Anyone use the pigment markers? I know they suck ass on virtually all papers save for their own brand, but I saw a youtube video with them used on Yupo and was turned on. Idk.
>>
>>2536787
OP here, yeah, I went with the mixed media pad because all of the other "marker" pads might as well have been tracing paper. I will look into the Fabriano, thanks!
>>
I've made the best experiences with smooth bristol board as well, I've tried different brands too, so it probably doesn't matter as much which one you get.

Marker paper is super flimsy but it can be useful if you find a really cheap pad. I use one I got for free with a copic order to do color thumbnails etc - basically stuff I wouldn't want to waste my expensive paper on.
>>
I recently inherited a bunch of prismacolor markers from someone not using them. I'm not really sure how to use the blender.
I've heard that you put a 'base layer' of blender and then add the normal marker overtop, then blend over that, but my attempts so far haven't had the sort of gradual transition I see in a lot of marker work, even between similar values of greys.

Or is some of it just a matter of what paper / marker brand I'm using?
>>
>>2537163
It's most likely the paper, yes. Could also be your markers going dry. Hard to diagnose over the internet, especially without a picture.

Some general advice regarding the blender:
Most people use it more as an eraser (you can apply it to push back color that has bled outside the lines), or to blend a pastel color into the white of the paper.
When someone applies a "base layer" of blender its usually because they inted to cover a large area that might otherwise dry before you're done and turn out streaky.

Try applying a base layer of your lightest color instead, then go in with a darker marker, then switch back to the first one to blend it out while it's still wet. If the markers aren't juicy enough for that, it's the markers fault. If it doesn't work even though the markers are full enough, it's most likely the paper.

It's always kinda difficult to explain something like that in text though, might help to check out some youtube videos on marker coloring.
>>
File: IMAG1066_1.png (531 KB, 720x515) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1066_1.png
531 KB, 720x515
Marker paper.

You know they make it, right?

Poster board and bristol board are the ideal for serious projects, though, because it's a hell of a lot hardier and you can use other materials without fear.

Pic related, markers and some colored pencils on I thiiiink it was bristol. When you blend over, the alcohol melts the pencil wax. Great when intentional but something to watch out for if you're a newbie.
>>
>>2535790
The marker paper at the store is pretty much just printer paper. Its slightly smoother but not enough to justify the price in my opinion.
>>
>>2537220
You used alcohol markers over wax based pencils? Have you had any trouble with the nibs getting damaged or clogged by the wax?
Because I've heard a lot of people say that you shouldn't use markers on top of colored pencils for that reason, but I've always suspected that may be bullshit because I've heard the same about using markers on top of (dry) watercolors, and that has never given me any trouble.
>>
File: work19.png (571 KB, 600x646) Image search: [Google]
work19.png
571 KB, 600x646
>>2537254
ah okay. also, took this as far as i wanted to go. calling it done
>>
>>2537254
It's not about the smoothness, it's about the absorbency - in this case, the lack of. Comparing the ink-soaking sponge that is printer paper to marker paper is kinda dumb.

>>2537353
Not damage in my experience. (for reference, copic marker and prismacolor pencils.) The tips do get a bit of a coating of the pencil color that will leave a smear if you immediately start using it on another area, but I just kept some scrap marker paper nearby and it'll wipe off with a few strokes.

I used it to get a depth of tint on a marker base, then when it was dry went over it with pencil in more detail. It was kind of like working with a purposeful stain.
>>
>>2537405
Good to know. Might have to give copics + colored pencils a try then sometime soon because that sounds like it'd open up some interesting possibilities.
>>
File: 20150720_194527.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20150720_194527.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>2536978
>>2537157
Smooth bristol. yepyepyep. :3 I personally hate the strathmore pads. You get what you paid for, etc, etc.

>>2537163
"Blender" markers are for shit tier marker illustrators. A blender should *ONLY* be used when >>2537197 has stated. What I usually do, to blend, is what they said as well.

E00 (base skin tone)
R20 (sardonyx, blushing. nose, cheek, chin, wherever)
E11 (shadows)
E13 (darkest shadows)
And then go back over your work with the base skin tone E00 to blend. Use a blender if you want a gradient. Sometimes I do lips with a dark color, like R56, touch tips with the blender, start at either the edge of the lip or inner lip, work fast and blend out. :)

>>2537358
I like your style. Instaa? Tumblr?

Vellum is a fun material to use markers on. All the ink sits on top and it's like drawing on plastic-y paper.
>>
File: work8.png (503 KB, 648x490) Image search: [Google]
work8.png
503 KB, 648x490
>>2537541
thanks anon~
http://bigfancynoodlings.tumblr.com/
>>
>>2537547
webcomic. soon. plz. wiff markers. <3
>>
>>2537571
wouldnt know where to begin with one lol
>>
>>2537612
the adventures of tree, maybe.
>>
>>2537612
I like the wiry branches/cherry blossoms. Maybe a red panda turned super sensei with a magical powers.
>>
>>2537405
OP here, I've tried Marker paper and disliked how flimsy and transparent it is although I do like how it handles the ink. Are there any kinds out there that are a little thicker? What do you recommend?
>>
>>2538140
Copic has marker paper which is cheaper than Bristol board. Both are thick and heavy, but very smooth.
>>
>>2538140
Just use smooth bristol like a big boy
>>
>>2537612
Calvin & Hobbes slash fiction
>>
>>2538140
It's made that way for a reason. It's thinner so it doesn't soak up as much ink, and it has a coating on the back to stop ink from bleeding through. Being transparent is a side effect of this, but it makes it makes working over sketches easier and makes colors a lot more vibrant when you put the finished work over a white background so light can reflect back through the ink.
>>
I have a weird fixation on markers.

One of my fantasies is buying empty Copics and filling them with Dr Martins Bombay india inks. I don't know why.
>>
>>2542814
Fair enough. Thanks for the info. I'm still pretty new to markers.
>>
File: Hex-Chart-7-9-15.jpg (348 KB, 1414x1372) Image search: [Google]
Hex-Chart-7-9-15.jpg
348 KB, 1414x1372
>>2543195
I'm a crackhead for markers.
Shinhan Touch, Copic, Prismas, Triarts, Letraset Trias, Pigments, watercolor. Ugh.

Soooo, those fucking crafters made a copic hex chart. Some bitch painstakingly matched colors together, and laid them out for people to see so they know what colors would blend best together. The pdf costs like 7 bucks. Anyone have the blank copy to share with us? Any photoshop studs can edit this lady's upload and blank it out for us?
>>
>>2544237
>some bitch

Pretty rude
>>
>>2544245
Never said I was a saint. :/
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3262x2447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3262x2447
>>2544237
Use your awesome photoshop skills
>>
File: touchnewmarkers.jpg (37 KB, 724x600) Image search: [Google]
touchnewmarkers.jpg
37 KB, 724x600
Has anyone here tried any of those cheap chinese Copic/Touch knockoffs on eBay (Touchfive, Touchnew, Touchliit, etc)? If so, what do you think?
>>
>>2544237

The easy way is to delete the colored spaces, duplicate in empty spaces and replace the value.

I'm not going to bother.
>>
>>2545551
I did, I use them with a few copics I've and they blend the same way copics do, the fine tip is not a brush-like tip but it does the work and the broad tip is also neat, anyway some markers run out of ink fast and you can't refill them (Or at least I did not find a way to do so).
>>
>>2545551
http://nattosoup.blogspot.de/ reviewed a bunch of different alcohol markers, including some of the cheap knock offs.

Overall verdict based on that and some amazon reviews I've read seems to be that they are okay. Usually don't have a brush nib, you can't buy refills, often there's a dried up marker or two in the bag (actually, people tend to complain the most about the storage bags), sometimes different colors of one color family are a bit too similar or you accidentally get doubles.
But they are alcohol markers, so you can achieve pretty much the same results as with copics, so that seems like a great way to get started.

Mind you, I haven't tried these myself so I can't speak from personal experience, but I own copics, w&n brushmarkers and stylefile markers and they're all very similar and blend well with each other, so if you're missing some important colors or want to replace colors you've run out of, you should be able to supplement the set with other alcohol based markers no problem, just like >>2545655 said.
>>
>>2545655
>Overall verdict based on that and some amazon reviews I've read seems to be that they are okay. Usually don't have a brush nib, you can't buy refills, often there's a dried up marker or two in the bag (actually, people tend to complain the most about the storage bags), sometimes different colors of one color family are a bit too similar or you accidentally get doubles.
>But they are alcohol markers, so you can achieve pretty much the same results as with copics, so that seems like a great way to get started.

I have some of these markers, this is all accurate (especially about some of the colors being similar...I ended up with about 5 of he same pink, all with different names) Also, the brush nibs seem to fray pretty easily and the color/names on the cap tend to be inaccurate on a lot of them so it helps to swatch before using.
Decent for the price, I'm planning on getting a set of Copics soon and these will work well to bulk out my collection.
>>
>>2537358
>month day year
>>
>>2546949
Oops, meant to say "broad nibs", not brush. Unfortunately none of the cheaper knockoffs have a brush tip AFAIK.
>>
>>2547023
That's how people in america are taught to write the date.
>>
I've noticed that copics don't blend with pen/ink as much as copics do. Using a prisma marker to line something with, and then coloring with copic won't blur the lines, but prisma on prisma will much easier. I would use prisma more if they had the shape of copic markers. Copics have a better grip for me and you can re-fill.
I absolutely hate the prisma markers that don't have the brush nibs. The fine tip bleeds too much for precise work.

>>2537163
I don't use the blenders because they don't blend colors hardly at all, but you can use it to make different affects like in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8EB6Xz9FI
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.