[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one here that was heavily inspired to start drawing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 18
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 312x445
Am I the only one here that was heavily inspired to start drawing by Magic Cards? Goddamn, the illustrations from the early years were incredible.
>>
Fucking, of course not.

Illustrating a magic card is my "made it" benchmark.
>>
>>2532872
The newer ones got a lot "better" but lost all their character in the process. All new ones look so polished, generic and streamlined. Its sad really
>>
>>2532890
Non digital magiccard artworks are really the best. I know as a kid I thought better and was a John Avon fan for his landscapes but now I know better.
>>
>>2532890
I agree, it's easy to see the shift where MTG was more derivative of things like Album covers or just traditional painting and illustration, and then became more derivative of comic book art / deviant art illustrations / video game concept art.

There's no denying that over it's long lifetime the game has seen some major changes in art direction, for the worse in my opinion.
>>
>>2532971
Anyone got examples of the "new" style? I haven't played in years.
>>
File: Image.png (141 KB, 223x311) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
141 KB, 223x311
>>2532974
Know what a Planeswalker is?
>>
File: 18blthr4a4pokjpg.jpg (117 KB, 800x643) Image search: [Google]
18blthr4a4pokjpg.jpg
117 KB, 800x643
>>2532980
Do you think that looks good?
>>
>>2532974
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/spoilers/170-shadows-over-innistrad

Just scroll down here and get a sense of what most of the cards look like. They are almost all highly polished shiny digital things now. They're well done but as other say they lost some personality. It used to be that you can immediately pick out different artists even from the small size of the card images, but now they are all so similar you usually need to look at the name printed on it to see who did it.
>>
>>
>>2532982
Obviously not, which is why I posted it

>>2532984
Innistrad is a good point of comparison, because it's suppose to be horror inspired and scary, but there's not a single card in the whole set at metal as the card OP posted.
>>
>>2532989
Oh, my bad. I got it.
>>
>>2532872
drawing illustrations for card games is my goal
>>
File: minyum.jpg-large.jpg (73 KB, 1024x748) Image search: [Google]
minyum.jpg-large.jpg
73 KB, 1024x748
>>2532989
Yeah there is a very different feel, though I do like the way Min Yum paints and am happy with this one.
>>
>>2532984
Another good example are the card borders themselves. Old magic cards had different borders for each color, red looked like it was made of stone, green of wood, black of some bubbling swamp spunk, but not the borders are all just amorphous textures of different colors, but not different styles.
>>
The most distinct difference emerged with mirrodin when artifacts changed from "artifacts" to "robots"
>>
File: lel.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>2533005
check out the amazing art and borders :^)
>>
>>2532980
So they are basically just doing Hearthstone art now? It's lost all its character.
>>
Yes, I one day want to reach that level. Right now I can't even anatomy.

A modern mtg artist that always stuck out to me is Jonathan Voss. He did Blood artist, various waifu Angels, gift of orzhova, etc.
>>
>>2533043
It's Johannes, not Jonathan. More people know him as Algenpfleger though.
>>
>>2533036
Ya, they started a decade before hearthstone though.
>>
File: image.jpg (187 KB, 506x697) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187 KB, 506x697
>>2533043
I'd like to be in those breeding pits.
>>
>>2533067
You forget how much of a thing power creep is until you look back at old cards and realize how shitty they were
>>
File: wordofcommand.jpg (29 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
wordofcommand.jpg
29 KB, 312x445
They don't make 'em like they used to
>>
File: MadProphet.jpg (855 KB, 1200x920) Image search: [Google]
MadProphet.jpg
855 KB, 1200x920
The new artwork is far more skilled in terms of composition/staging, anatomy, lighting, etc. But yeah, it does kind of look samey, and there is something nice about the naivete and kitchyness of the old art. It reminds me of a bygone era when it wasn't cool to be a nerd. A time when only uber nerds played computer games, watched sci-fi movies, and listened to heavy metal.

But hey, check out this Iain McCaig card. I was scrolling through the new cards that were linked and saw a face that was far better realized than usual for Magic and was like hmm who did that one... Iain McCaig... oh no wonder.
>>
>>2533079
that face looks like a photoshop filter added on a photography with a shitty background painted in.
why do they try to do big illustrations for a tiny card when they should just do more iconic/graphic pictures like the old ones.
>>
>>2533108
>that face looks like a photoshop filter added on a photography with a shitty background painted in.
I was thinking the same thing. Iain is a great artist, but he should stick to pencils. The hands are nice though in that painting.

Also some artists still do simple more graphic/iconic things. Kev Walker comes to mind.
>>
>>2533108
I was thinking the exact same thing.
>>
eldrazi card art is really cool
>>
>>2533134
got any favs?
>>
>>2533002
Are you studying illustration?
>>
File: 24005.jpg (50 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
24005.jpg
50 KB, 600x600
This is now a 90's death metal album covers thread
>>
File: i90.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
i90.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>>
File: image.jpg (478 KB, 1000x1383) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
478 KB, 1000x1383
Loved the art on this one.
>>
File: Dissection -Storm Cover.jpg (174 KB, 666x666) Image search: [Google]
Dissection -Storm Cover.jpg
174 KB, 666x666
>>2533199
6/6 black creature. 6 swamps to tap. Instantly kills any non-undead creature during attack/block.
>>
>>2532872
I was playing the IOS yu gi oh game yesterday, and now I realize how much they have improved since yu gi oh arc 1
>>
>>2533278
Is exodia still the most broken monster in the game?
>>
>>2533070
To be fair the power 9 are all old cards, and most of the Alpha/Beta cards are still pretty good, but it were the sets after the simple beginnings of the first few sets that dropped the power level.
>>
>>2533511
Power 9 are super good only because they didn't understand the mechanics of the game well enough and hadn't done enough play-testing. They had no idea how broken they were.
>>
>>2533522
I think even with playtesting Richard didn't anticipate how optimized people would play the game at. Power 9 make sense if you anticipate no one is going to sell their house to buy enough cards to make the most OP deck ever. They make sense in a drafting format too because they're rare and you're likely not to get one, and if you do there's no guarantee you'll draw one. But they didn't mesh well in real world deck construction conditions.
>>
>>2532980
To be fair making art for a particular woman is less creative then a concept as a Lord of the Pit. She looks all right but not as creative.

>>2533203
The amount of feeling in this is wonderful, you get that he is a jester hence the paint but its like there is something deeper there, a sardonic knowledge or something I dunno, its just such a particular kind of smirk.
>>
File: 145239_Blood+Crypt_FIN.jpg (379 KB, 1000x727) Image search: [Google]
145239_Blood+Crypt_FIN.jpg
379 KB, 1000x727
Is there a collection of high res MTG art?
I couldn't really find much.
>>
>>2533279
It's not that he's broken, if you got the right deck to stop him then your fucked there are a lot of cards that are supper broken like dark sage (dark magician + after affects of time wizard) he can destroy traps and spells whenever he wants to I think and there are many other cards like this that are banned
>>
>>2532872
>>2533278
>>2533279
>>2533990
I'm curious, what is more played in here? Yu gi oh, magic, or pokemon
I personally think is yu gi since I've seen threads of it in /v/, /vg/ and /a/, but I rarely see the pokemon card game mentioned (1 or 2 every 10 times yu gi oh is mentioned), but with magic I've seen southpark references and even a vice documentary on it.

How common was for people you knew to be playing?. Yu gi oh was by far the most played in my school (and from what my cousin told me, the university where she studied was full of people playing it too).
>>
>>2534007
I still play Yugioh with my roommates and online n shit.
I'd rather play MTG but my friends don't want to buy into a new TCG and there isn't a good online alternative to it.
Also.
>>2533279
Exodia isn't really broken, you have to build a whole deck around him to even pull it off, and if you brick you just loose.
Neither is shit like
>>2533990
Because that idiot not read the card so that's not even his fucking effect. He just searches one spell card.
>>
File: RescueCat-TU01-EN-R-UE.jpg (294 KB, 396x580) Image search: [Google]
RescueCat-TU01-EN-R-UE.jpg
294 KB, 396x580
>>2533279
Exodia was never really broken, unless you play in unrestricted or some shit. It's pretty inconsistent.

Most broken cards are broken unintentionally due to other cards working very well with it or changed mechanics/metagame, not necessarily because they were made to be really good (intentionally great cards have harder requirements for the most part).

Pic related, thought this cat is just kawaii-uguu? Nah, it had to be banned.
>>
no duel masters fan here?

played both duel masters and yu gi oh when I was a kid but liked more duel masters for it's simplicity

now I don't have anyone do play with tho and playing online is just not the same
>>
>>2534038
>only 1 turn

Useless cat.
>>
>>2534815
It's for xyz, syncro or even tribute fodder.
>>
how did this turn into faggotville?
>>
>>2534924
YuGiOh.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.