[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i hate non representational art
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7
File: safdasfd.png (233 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
safdasfd.png
233 KB, 1024x768
but its all i can do

please can someone edit this into something representational,
like i dont care if you just make a collage of dicks i just cant make the leap into representational from abstract for some reason
>>
Dude, just pick something in front of you and try to draw it for a start.
>>
>>2529474
I don't know what the fuck that is.

Do some still life.
>>
draw you're benis
>>
O FUK
>>
>>2529474
I have the exact opposite problem, need to turn in an abstract painting tomorrow, I can't for the life of me draw something that doesn't look like it was made by a two year old and yet my still lifes and human anatomy drawings are bretty good
>>
>>2529910
Do you know what makes up an abstract piece of artwork?
>>
>>2529914
instructor didn't say much other than it being representational rather than realistic
>>
>>2529910
channel your inner pollock, whip out those tubes and spray it on a canvas. Shit is cash
>>
>>2529921
we're working with 18x24 drawing paper not canvas unfortunately

suppose I can still use paint but not so much in the frantic looking way he does
>>
>>2529916
Yeah, it's almost completely separate from a realistic piece of artwork. That's why still life and anatomy won't really help you. An abstract piece of artwork is all judged on line, shape and color. It pretty much is non-representational if you don't notice a subject matter, which you can include in the title or suggest one. Like Whistler's Nocturne in Black and Gold. If you just looked at it, it would be insanely difficult to know what it was, but with the title, you do know what the subject matter is. Or you can just create a suggestion of the subject matter through shapes It's all sort of up to interpretation. Like you use a square in your painting to represent a building, but hey someone might say that's not detailed enough to be a building so that's definitely not one. But nah, it is. It's just super abstract and hard to notice as it only suggests a building and could suggest basically anything since it's up in the air for interpretation.
>>
>>2529954
that makes sense, thank you anon, I realize that the skills I have in other areas wouldn't translate into abstract, I think I need to work on the small details that make abstract look, any other tips?
>>
>>2529984
Understand that the Cubists were representational.

Also apply the contrasts and pay attention to composition. Read: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Design_elements_and_principles

Main tip: If it looks like an object, abstract harder. Uniformity is your enemy
>>
>>2529474
Hey man, maybe it's all you can do because you were meant to do it. Maybe it's the way you see the world around you and you hate it because it's the realest thing to you. Maybe you shouldn't sweat it and keep doing it.
>>
>>2529921
>Pollock

One of the worst artists of the 20th century
>>
>>2531003
The drip paintings were a sensation but it came and went pretty quickly. I found Pollock liberating at first, then I realized that shit on a canvass is .....just shit on a canvass.
>>
>>2531003
Meh, I like him
>>
>>2531022
Can't argue against what you like, so more power to you. But he isn't a very talented artist. Lee Krasner had more skill than he did, his wife. But the drip painting were so radical to people at the time that he just sort of blew up. I think those drip painting are what put the final nail in his coffin, both artistically and personally to a degree. The fame sent him over the edge and back down again. But if you look at jacksons earlier work, I think you find more potential there, and for me, most aesthetically pleasing stuff. A lot of it was kind of a mess, but there were some good pieces, like sparks if you will. I like his painting called "Birth". It has a cool textured look, and sort of tribal/symbolic.
>>
>>2531022
>I like him
>him
>implying "he" made the paintings and gravity didn't do 100% of the "work"

You've never made drip paintings before, have you? It requires pretty much 0 autonomy to make one, and completely destroys the idea of "the artist", which has been the intent of the "art world" (Stein and Friends) for the past 200 years or so.
>>
>>2533675
>someone who doesn't understand the greatness of Abstract Expressionism
>>
>>2533677

:^)
>>
File: Stockholm Syndrome.jpg (200 KB, 1000x750) Image search: [Google]
Stockholm Syndrome.jpg
200 KB, 1000x750
>>2533677
Here's your (you)
>>
>>2533689

He's clearly being tongue-in-cheek.

Post more though.
>>
>>2533689
Lol

There are people that slap this kind of shit together and think it's good art. About as decent as hipster lo fi music and Pollocks awful drip paintings. At some point people just give up and think, instead of applying myself to learn, I'll just pawn my lack of skill off as an alternative aesthetic. Won't lie, I fell prey to this thinking once. And then I realized, no: no, not every peice of dog shit, half baked whim musical impulse someone sperms onto a peice of paper or canvass is decent art. Since when does being great and being passable count as one and the same ?
>>
File: image.jpg (199 KB, 933x998) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
199 KB, 933x998
I only have pencil and paper, but this is a rough image of what I thought of when I saw it.
>>
>>2533939
Tell me you at least have non-lined paper. No artist should go through this suffering.
>>
>>2533940
probably somewhere. I just grabbed the first notebook I saw. Do you need me to redraw it?
>>
File: ss+(2016-05-27+at+12.29.35).jpg (113 KB, 416x1003) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-05-27+at+12.29.35).jpg
113 KB, 416x1003
>>2533939
when i doodle i do a lot of these shapes
horizons, triangles, and especially a sun or sometimes a halo-type thing in icon paintings

I've been working on this for a few months now. what do you guys think? should I change the orientation? saw it into separate parts?

i do a lot of abstract stuff in order to just get my motion out. it's more physical and the experience of making it is way more important than the piece. like crazy people smearing shit on the walls.
>>
File: WIN_20160521_101734.jpg (861 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160521_101734.jpg
861 KB, 2560x1440
>>2538102
this one i did all in one sitting today. don't think it's done. I don't think that ones done either.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.