[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
her hand holding the spear is driving me crazy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: huntress_by_castaguer93-d8nc45i.jpg (381 KB, 1280x1489) Image search: [Google]
huntress_by_castaguer93-d8nc45i.jpg
381 KB, 1280x1489
her hand holding the spear is driving me crazy
>>
Her Hands are small
weak knees arms are tiny
there's no form on her sweater already
mom's spearghetto
>>
>>2517863
it looks like her hand has 7 fingers
>>
>>2517863
its not supposed to be holding the spear at that angle

how the hell is the spear handle in front of her if the angle of her hand would have it be behind her?
>>
>>2517876
this. what the fuck OP?
>>
>>2517863

This could have been easily solved if you stood in front of a fucking mirror with a broom stick and recreated the pose and snapped a photo of it with your phone. You'd quickly see what angle works and what doesn't. I do it almost daily. You should see my reference photos... Especially the ones where I pose as a woman for my NSFW commissions. Fat, pale, the black soulless eyes of a freelance artist, the hairy balls hanging out of my underwear as I spread my legs in front of the mirrior... But I digress. It's pretty useful though.
>>
>>2517863
>autism the thread

It's gonna be really hard finding art that has no faults whatsoever. What really matters is that it looks good overall and especially that it gets you jobs. Most people aren't gonna notice anything wrong with it and even if they do, they won't care much because it's still a solid piece.
>>
>>2517952
That spear is some Escher shit though. Fucks with my head.
>>
>>2517952

Art directors do notice shit like this though, as it is a pretty fundamental drawing error and shows lack of problem solving. If the spear doesn't bother you I guess art isn't for you. You clearly don't have the "eye" for it.
>>
>>2517898
>This could have been easily solved if you stood in front of a fucking mirror with a broom stick and recreated the pose and snapped a photo of it with your phone.
how do you do that while you're posing
>>
>>2517969
timer
>>
>>2517898
Not OP but I don't want to use references. It feels like cheating. If you can get to a point where you can draw exactly from imagination you can draw anything you want on the spot. Using references impedes this process.

>>2517961
He is fine if the spear doesn't bother him
>>
>>2517974
>Not OP but I don't want to use references. It feels like cheating. If you can get to a point where you can draw exactly from imagination you can draw anything you want on the spot. Using references impedes this process.
Holy shit this is what people on /ic/ actually believe. No wonder no one here ever makes it.
>>
>>2517974
>dont want to use references
i bet you're one of those chumps that believed frazetta too
>>
File: jaguarWIP4.jpg (153 KB, 700x875) Image search: [Google]
jaguarWIP4.jpg
153 KB, 700x875
>>2517863
YOURS LOOKS SO MUCH FUCKING BETTER THAN MINE IF FUCKING AHTE ART ATRNKITRJUTKBSGBKJGBSGBJKBGSKGBKJGBSGNMSG BKMNS WHYA AM I SO GARBAGE FSJJJJJJJJJJJJJJKS:LFFS
>>
>>2517863
has escher come back from the dead?
>>
>>2518006
OP probably isn't the person who painted that. Also whoever painted that picture has been doing art probably years longer than you.

Rather than just get jealous maybe try to figure out how they were more successful, and see if you can learn anything from it that you can apply in your image or your next image.
>>
>>2517969

I use my second hand. If I only wanted reference for holding the spear I wouldn't need to nail the whole pose perfectly. Also I like to snap a pic of my sketch and look at in my phone as I get a feeling for the pose in the mirror. Sometimes just acting it out is enough to realize what angles and weight shifts etc I need in the drawing.
>>
when photobashers paint

>>2518009

haha this
>>
>>2517974
>If you can get to a point where you can draw exactly from imagination you can draw anything you want on the spot. Using references impedes this process.
Oh dear god.
Drawing from imagination draws from your visual library. Your visual library is built from studying reference. What you are impeding by not wanting to study reference is exactly what you want to accomplish in the first place.
>>
>>2517867
kek I love it
>>
>>2517988
>i bet you're one of those chumps that believed frazetta too

I actually believed that shit until I saw a blog that shows clear proof of him swiping and using photos.On a level that IC would call the artists head for if it was another artist.

On the face of it its absurd, Frazetta apparently took tons of pictures all the time and loved cameras but says he never used it in his artwork.

The guy was still a great artist but fucked up lots of artists with his bullshit,
>>
>>2517863

The spear should be behind her body with the angle that her hand is holding it
>>
>>2518133
A lot of his claims were made when he got old and for some reason got really insecure. It's a shame that someone of his calibre and genius still felt the need to lie to make himself seem better. Especially since he COULD do really good drawing and painting without a model, and did it often...but he still felt the need to lie and say it was always like that.
>>
>>2517898
>Fat, pale, the black soulless eyes of a freelance artist, the hairy balls hanging out of my underwear as I spread my legs in front of the mirrior
Thanks anon, I didn't need those sides anyway.
>>
File: NewImage2.png (378 KB, 382x600) Image search: [Google]
NewImage2.png
378 KB, 382x600
>>2518148
>It's a shame that someone of his calibre and genius still felt the need to lie to make himself seem better. Especially since he COULD do really good drawing and painting without a model,

Yeah honestly I can believe he could do an entire painting without a model that would look great, especially after decades and decades of painting and drawing. Just the claim that he did from the start is what gets me.
>>
>>2518216
It's common for artists to lie about their process. Tons of people would swipe and not admit it (obviously) and when photography became a thing many artists denied using them and claimed to use models when they didn't.
>>
i think maybe it used to be a bow

for some reason, maybe it's a request by the commissoner he changed it to a spear...
>>
>>2518283
This sounds like the more reasonable answer to why her free hand isn't clasping the dang spear like real hunters would in a real situation.
Also that pose makes no sense for hunting at all, especially if it's assumed she's hunting that bird in the back. And, how the hell is she supposed to kill a bird with a spear anyway?
Nothing in this piece makes sense and it would seem it's more to showcase the skill set this artist has for rendering, because that's the only thing that looks decent.
>>
>>2518348

Looks like she was climbing and using the other arm for support and balance and now she is finally getting into killing distance to her prey as she starts moving her hand to grasp the spear. The bird is probably her sidekick.
>>
>>2518368
I think her prey is actually not in view of the painting itself.
It would make plenty of sense if she's just holding it that way to get herself into a more favorable position for hunting
>>
>>2518006
I don't know, but you're right about your being trash. Why don't you go back to Tumblr with the rest of the trash artists who scream gibberish in all caps for attention instead of studying?
>>
>>2517863
You know, if you did a whole painting intentionally in that hyper-dimensional mindfuck style, it'd be pretty neat.
>>
The spear is pointing the wrong way and is not foreshortened enough. The way the body is angled and shaded the front of the spear should be facing further away to her rear and the back end closer to us whilst being somewhat shorter and fatter at the closer end. It's bad perspective.
>>
>>2518673
Why dont you go back? You can be as passive aggressive and bitchy as you like and nobody can call you out on it!
>>
>>2517863
Everyone's on about the spear hand but what really gets me is how the the upper arm and shoulder on the left have the proportions of a small child. I can see overlooking the spear at first glance but that stands out pretty bad to me.
>>
>>2519166
This
>>
File: fiora_render_by_zohoth-d92lcu0.png (350 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
fiora_render_by_zohoth-d92lcu0.png
350 KB, 1024x576
>>2517961
this is official art. look at her head
>>
>>2519170

Uh this is 10x times better than OP, so not sure what exactly you're on about.
>>
>>2519174
nothing wrong, might be a bit to far forward for my liking

but overall works with this "illustration"
>>
>>2518009
My first thought. It's like he's trying to contact us from the grave by fucking up people's works.>>2518009
>>
>>2517974
Do you imagine things you haven't seen in real life?
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.