[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Strong composition books to buy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: Reni - St Sebastian.png (765 KB, 1000x634) Image search: [Google]
Reni - St Sebastian.png
765 KB, 1000x634
Hi guys,

I am looking to buy some good books of painters (over amazon) with some strong compositional elements to apply to photography.

Any recommendation?
>>
>>2517217
Is there a reason you want to get a book on artists over photographers?

And I suppose it depends a lot on the type of photography you do as well. I really like the composition of Andrew Wyeth and Edward Hopper and think both of their work would carry over fantastically to photography, but that is just my personal taste.

I would avoid any books specifically on composition though. It's mostly pretty bullshit. Composition is one of those gut-feeling things and it is dangerous to fall trap to conventions and formulas, plus a lot of the analysis on composition is made-up and not what the artist intended.
>>
>>2517220
I also buy / bought books from photographers, but i want to learn from the core. Maybe i have more margin to create things from there to here (photography)
I am interested in portrait, street and social documentary photography.
Hopper is very good, already have a book of him. Gonna look Wyeth stuff. I was also looking some baroque and renaissance stuff.
thx a lot
>>
>>2517220
And yeah, we have the same felling about that shitty composition books.
One PDF is enough for that.
>>
>>2517242
To be honest I'm not sure how many painters would help you with portrait or street photography. Like maybe you can learn some stuff about lighting portraits, but honestly that would come from a basic book on photography as well. The things that make portrait painters great are things that can't translate to photography well.

For street scenes and social documentary too I am not sure how much overlap there is. Those tend to be more informal records of what is in front of you rather than something that is highly crafted and planned like a painting.

The closest I can think would be Bernie Fuchs maybe? He's an absolute genius when it comes to composition. His use of empty space and unusual framing as well as his storytelling are all things that would work well for photography. Plus he also depicted many ordinary scenes as well. There's no book on him unfortunately, but there are hundreds of his images online. Here's an example: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattdicke/albums/72157625369781729
>>
>>2517217
the practice and science of drawing from Harold Speed is pretty decent on composition, and an all around great read.
>>
>>2517266
It's a good book but I wouldn't recommend it to a photographer
>>
>>2517268
hmm ya, you are probably right
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.