[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey, /ic/, I already asked /diy/ and got nothing. Maybe you guys
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 1455172660220.jpg (417 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1455172660220.jpg
417 KB, 1920x1080
Hey, /ic/,
I already asked /diy/ and got nothing. Maybe you guys can help? I am planning on making a sculpture out of paper mache using paper, obviously. Ill seal it, prime it and paint it after. I've done this sort of thing before, like for shitty school projects, but never this big. It will be a life size woman-deity. I need to know about your experiences, thoughts and, most importantly, what is the best way to make the STRONGEST paper mache recipe I can?
>>
>>2517096
I haven't done paper mache on that scale so can't really help. If you are concerned of it being able to support itself though then it's probably a good idea to build an armature for it.
>>
>>2517096
I made a life-size human figure in high school. Unfortunately I don't have pictures, but in order for it to be stable, I created a PVC pipe skeleton first, then fleshed that out using chicken wire. It survived many a tumble, so I'd recommend that for strength of the overall figure. As far as the papier mache itself, perhaps using multiple layers of construction paper instead of newspaper would give you more support.
>>
>>2517158
Righteous. Thank you
>>
>>2517145
Yeah, I agree with that. It needs an armature. I'd probably start out with metal pipe bolted on a sturdy plywood base, then begin bulking out some of the volume with chicken wire and plaster. Alternately, expanded polystyrene foam blocks impaled on the pipe armature, carved down to fit. Skin with moldable papier mâché pulp. Don't forget to use salt in the recipe to inhibit mold, and to let it thoroughly dry out before painting so it doesn't rot.
>>
>>2517159
Yeah man, I wish you the best
>>
>>2517172
do you just buy polyesterine foam blocks?
>>
>>2517228
Yeah, or scavenge smaller pieces and glue together. The bigger blocks get expensive. I tell all my friends and relatives to save all the nice big blocks and sheets of packing styrofoam for me and dumpster dive the recycling bins at big furniture stores. EPS is an invaluable sculpting medium. Part of being a sculptor is figuring out where to find materials where you live.
>>
>>2517096
I found this video about making a life size baby elephant:

https://youtu.be/2vlFkRngRQY
>>
>>2517248
Thats a good Idea. Ill ask my mom, honestly
>>2517264
Thank you. I also found this incase youre interested. The gray paste they use is something awesome Id like to try.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULef3DJ_qmk
>>
>>2517172
OP here, wwhat do I use as an armature?
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.