[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Time to draw/artist profession
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20150510_203721.jpg (20 KB, 601x559) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150510_203721.jpg
20 KB, 601x559
Hello, anons. I just wanna know if there is any of you that takes art as job, life basically depends in creating art or have reached a high level in drawing stuff and also how any event in your life could try to screw up with your passion (if art is it) or how it succeeded to screw up with you. Yeah, I kinda want to know your life history until you become what you are now and how did you do it.
As example, I can talk about how I was trying to be an artist when teenager but having to study and to do more things because of pression from parents killed all my time to draw and study more about drawing. Yeh, I've failed.
>>
all i hear is excuses
>>
>>2516171
I do it for a living and I have screwed up before. When I first started applying for indie gigs 3 years ago I got very bad clients but learned to talk business and look out for red flags. It's all max comfy now.

Honestly if there's anything that gets in your way when it comes to making it, that's your fault.
>>
>>2516171
cute
>>
>>2516389
What are the red flags that you noticed?
>>
>>2516389
tell me about max comy :3
>>
>>2516775
not wanting to sign a contract/ not wanting to pay in full at the start/ not wanting to pay/ not discussing the price

Same as any other scam.
>>
>>2516775
The ones I felt stupid for falling for in the first place because I believed the projects would be at least fun to work on.

>We'll pay you when out kickstarter makes it.
>Sighing a contract that REQUIRES you to stay for the length of the project under shit terms.

Other things were on me being new that they took advantage of so I had to note it in my terms of agreement.

>Getting paid just as much for things I'm not used to painting, (I can do them but they take more time which is money down the drain that I couldn't see beforehand. It ended up being a lot of mistakes and a very frustrated client and I)
>Conceptartwise, not limiting how much revisions you do before it's time to ask you for more money. I felt stupid about this. They said they loved my stuff and told me to do whatever I liked then tried to micromanage afterwards without extra pay. After the fourth time I quit.

There's a bunch more I can't think about off the top of my head that I just got from experience. Those were the first few though.

>>2516779
Takes a bit more time but I can find clients that are actually enjoyable to work for and single piece commissions on my off time. To be honest because of earlier experiences I still get nervous during the thumb nailing stage even though I know they hired me because they like my stuff. I get an adrenaline rush when they approve of them though.
>>
>>2516389
>I do it for a living
Post your art.
>>
>>2516842
Sure is summer in here.
>>
>>2517370
I asked that, because I would like to know exactly how good I have to be to make a living. It would be helpful with deciding what should I work on and with setting long term goals for myself.

Is there something wrong with that?
>>
>>2517559
Yes because whoever posts their art to prove their point gets shit on, no matter how good the art actually is.

You don't have to be great to start getting gigs, you just need lots of connections and you need to be good with business. With higher skill you get better and more jobs of course.
>>
>>2517562
>whoever posts their art to prove their point gets shit on, no matter how good the art actually is
That's just your assumption - in the past there were people who posted their art and who get praised for it.
Besides, there's nothing wrong with getting critique.

>You don't have to be great to start getting gigs
I'm talking about being good enough to make a living with my art, and that's completely different from making a random commission once a month.
>>
Do you have any resources to actually finding people who want commissions? It do the clients just contact you?
>>
>>2516171
>always drew pictures
>learned to paint in high school
>went to school for art
>graduated
>worked a shitty job and painted on the side
>majority of my week is consumed by menial tasks that a monkey could perform
>say fuck this shit
>quit job
>make art full time now (canvases, murals, posters, etc.)

I make less money now, but have more free time. Financial stability has been increasing as I've begun to get name out there. Do it or don't, if you want it you can make it happen.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.