[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hello /ic/ this is my first time on this board so please go easy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: imgres.jpg (116 KB, 599x599) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
116 KB, 599x599
hello /ic/ this is my first time on this board so please go easy on the bully.

I'm posting a few of my practices here for advice. So due to shitty change of major in uni, I didn't have enough time to spend on drawing. I was kinda of in a situation where I had to force myself to cut down time on hobby for the sake of maintaining my grade. Sadly between drawing and language study, I dropped drawing because I didn't see myself improving, or it would benefit me on the long run. Now that i realized how shitty my reason was to choose that major, I changed to a new major which gave me back a slightly sufficient amount of time for drawing. Today I accidentally looked back into my sketch books and I feel incredibly dumb for not dedicating enough time to my hobby in those wasted time.

you can skip the anecdote, but now I what I'm look for is how can improve on my shading technique and coloring? up to this point all I've been doing was mostly sketching. I have a rough knowledge on coloring, but blending colors and separating between shades and tints etc are zero.

I think I'm very good at using reference, but when it comes to drawing from imagination I just don't know any proper techniques that can allow me to bring that mental image into paper.

Just to REMIND you that, I have never taken any drawing class before in my life. My uni's art department is bat shit. All of these sketches are the result of what I have learned through reading books and youtube videos. Without a proper class, I don't think I can achieve any "wow" worthy art, but that's not my point anyway, since I just like drawing and I wish to nourish it.
>>
File: IMG_0567.jpg (2 MB, 3024x4032) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0567.jpg
2 MB, 3024x4032
>>
File: IMG_0568.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0568.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>
>>2511568
>>2511570
>4032x3024
>>
File: IMG_0569.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0569.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>2511566
I couldn't find a legit anatomy book that would help me so I had to dig the web deep (this was before I know about 4chan)

took an advice from this blog and just had to roughly apply from what I can see.

stalked a few sketches from the CGM academy forum.

http://illustrationfixation.blogspot.com/search/label/Anatomy
>>
Nice redrawings of things in books. Got any studies or drawings from imagination?
>>
File: IMG_0574.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0574.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>2511576
some studies and redraw
>>
>>2511575
tfw I have the exact same wood on my desk and also the same keyboard

quit studying anatomy meme and just focus on the core fundamentals form/perspective/values/color/composition

instead of trying to draw from imagination just focus on doing w/e you want from few references, without exact copying anything

you can also iterate from imagination and with no references something you've recently studied
>>
File: IMG_0581.jpg (141 KB, 756x1008) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0581.jpg
141 KB, 756x1008
>>2511595
>>2511576
my problem with drawing from fantasy is, I cant go any further from rough sketches of the dummy. If I can do, it just usually turn into crap. It seem the anatomy just can't attach itself in the dummy. foreshortening is unbearable, there is no easy loop hole to it and I still cant get my head around it yet.
>>
>>2511595
thanks I'll take a note on that.
>>
>>2511599
because you're not drawing form at all yet, you're only doing controling shapes, not volumes

You have to break into 3D thinking
>>
File: IMG_0579.jpg (109 KB, 636x847) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0579.jpg
109 KB, 636x847
>>2511599
from imagination
>>
File: IMG_0572.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0572.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
>>2511602
yeah I remember, I did try that before, the information just slipped by. I started drawing to this far roughly around 4 to 3 months
>>
>>2510967
>>
>>2511566

Firstly stop with the exposition, we don't care

Secondly, stop making your own fucking threads you drooling retard.

Thirdly, the resolution in your images is way too big. we need to see the whole picture.

Fourth, read the sticky

Fifth, stop being a mouthbreather
>>
I'm going to help you
1) don't make another thread like this. Post in the draw or/ begginer thread.
>>
>>2511566
IF you want to improve your shading and you only want to stay traditional, wich i assume, i would say stop being afraid of using harsh shadows, going in full-on black with a soft graphite pencil, instead of this overall grey you have in your drawings.
It would help if you tried drawing with marker or pen to see where the darkest parts of the shadows are and where the lightest, it kinda forces you to extreme contasts.

i dont know a method of getting better at imagination drawing because it largely depends on what you want to draw, mostly, the things you were most interested in all the time will be the easiest to draw, like if you are mostly interested in creatures or characters, you will have a harder time with interesting environments or vehicles from imagination.
>>
>>2511871
when i open large pictures, their size is limited to the size of my browser window. ur doing something wrong.
>>
>>2511568
jaa
>>
>>2512617
oh y god it's spreading
>>
So... Have you heard of this guy... Ahem... Called Loomis?
>>
>>2511614
>the information just slipped by
because you are doing it wrong, you are not suppose to copy it, but Analise it and draw your own
>>
>>2511595

Post work (not op)
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.