[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a way to become more positive about your own work? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (97 KB, 750x366) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97 KB, 750x366
Is there a way to become more positive about your own work? I believe I'm a bit above average, I've done commissions, people online like my stuff and I see it posted regularly, yet I hate my own work and every time I post a drawing I get caught up in the small imperfections and nearly have a panic attack. I've become so afraid with quality and the fear of being judged that I'm nearly drawing any more.

I want to get to a point where I can accept my shortcomings, not get hung up on them, and learn from them, but I also don't want to become blinded to my own mistakes and become a Dobson or the like.

If anyone has any advice or know some material to help me get past this I'd really appreciate it.
>>
Work as hard as you can, so that, while you might not even like what you've made, you can honestly say: "Well I did my best, so I've at least gotten better for having made something not so good".
>>
>>2504230
It's probably very individual. I'm highly critical of my own work, and feel like I'm completely blind to my own style and the positive qualities of my art.
I'm a perfectionist and obsess over details that probably don't matter, and I have no idea what other people see when they look at my art. I rarely get negative criticism and people seem to really like my art, and while I have a ballpark idea about where my skill level is at, I really don't know where others would place me.

What I see when I look at my art also depends on my state of mind. Most of the time, I just see boring, dull art with no style, almost like a poorly drawn technical drawing. At other times I can look at my art, and see a fun, vibrant style that's skillfully drawn and full of personality. But the worst part is the blindness you get when you work on something for a long while. I might draw something I feel happy about at the time, but when I come back and look at it a while later, all the flaws I couldn't see stand out and it looks like shit. In the end, I can't trust my ability to judge my own art, because it varies so much.

Bottom line, I can't help you, and have no idea how get out of this state of mind, if it's possible at all.
>>
>>2504240
I've gotten that advice here before when finishing a commission and it definitely helps me get stuff out, I just wish it would also improve my disposition to my work.
>>2504243
It's like listening to myself. I think the worst part is that blindness. You get your skills up to a certain point and then you just become blind to what's good or bad about your art and it leaves you in this nervous empathy. It's like you can't see the whole picture.
>>
>>2504253
>It's like you can't see the whole picture.
I guess that right way to deal with this would be to regularly post stuff so it can get critiqued, though I'll admit I don't adhere to this myself, primarily because I can see flaws in my own works that I'm unable to correct, and don't want to expose to others. Granted, that's just a mental block and a poor excuse to avoid criticism.
>>
>>2504230
Left to right or right to left?
>>
>>2504942
Left to right you fucking weeb
>>
>>2504942
works eitherway desu
>>
>>2504954
I like the right to left reading more.
>'I'm gonna do my best'
>proceed to do nothing
It's a perfect representation of my life, except I'm not a cute girl and my house aint on fire
>>
>>2504302
I'd love to post my art here but sadly I was permabanned for something I didn't do, the mods won't respond, and due to my internet provider it's damn near impossible to change my IP adress. Sadly I don't know many other active art communities online with skilled people and harsh feedback.
>>
>>2504230
Dont ask for criticism or opinions on /ic/ if you looking for encouragement. You could try posting on Tumblr if you want excessive praise though.
(I like the pic)
>>
>>2505384
It's not mine. I just thought it was sort of appropriate. My stuff would likely start a shitstorm and I don't really want this drama linked with my name. I try to keep a fairly professional online presence.
>>
>>2505388
Shitstorms are the best though. Anyhow good luck to ya man.
>>
>>2504230
Draw what YOU want to see.
Write the story YOU want to read.

If you're afraid of judgement then don't upload your work to the internet. This way no one will ever judge you and you can be as creative as you want to be.

I recommend you read the book Steal Like an Artist. It helped me with my problem.
>>
>>2506207
Tracking down the PDF now, I appreciate it.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.