[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Character design challenge
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: 1456343698590.jpg (177 KB, 1500x1001) Image search: [Google]
1456343698590.jpg
177 KB, 1500x1001
I figured with all the cool ref images that are being posted in the ref threads, we might as well revive our old char design challenge threads.

Do a character design based on the ref photo. How close you wanna stick to it is up to you, stylized or realistic, whatever you want. Just no direct studies.
>>
>>2503572
Direct studies?
>>
>>2503603
As in, don't just draw exactly what you see in the photo.
>>
>>2503572
interesting idea and choice
>>
Zeuxen. Tamer of the sky, its inhabitants and all of its power. The one remaining soul of his blood line, a fragile tribe of fisherman mages.

As a baby his village was invaded in the dark of the night by a fleet of rogue, horseback wizards. Those who slept met a quick death, while those who awoke were blinded by a curse and savagely executed. All but one.
Zeuxen survived and was fed fish by a nearby flock of lightning birds (a common species known as the Dodeus) that were tamed to harvest food for the village. He became one of their own, and now spends his life roaming the planet through the eyes of the sky, seeking out the wizards that killed his family.

Scattered through the lands, flying high above, Zeuxen commands his fleet to hunt down its prey, casting down deathly strikes deep into the ground.
>>
Also is it just me, or does that backdrop look like the skybox from Doom 1?
>>
>>2503572
We need more of these threads but can the next one be something else than character design? It's the only thing I can't/don't want to do.
>>
>>2503808
What else would you want to do? You could use the ref as a basis for an interesting environment design. This particular one can even inspire a weird watercraft vehicle or some kind of bird creatures. OP said your interpretation of the ref is completely open so you don't have to stick to characters, you could really make anything you wanted of it.
>>
>>2503872
>>Character design challenge
>>so you don't have to stick to characters
Did you even read OP's post?

The part where they say "whatever you want" doesn't mean to avoid the thread theme entirely, it was referring to your chosen art style.

Eg. you are not restrained to making your art look a certain way (only doing a comic book character, or only doing a realistic painting of your character, etc).

It still has to be a character.
>>
>>2503899
A lot of people would argue an environment can be a character. Semantics aside though it's not like this is some super official contest thing. I'm pretty sure he just wants to get people drawing. I think people would be fine with you using the reference to design something other than a character as long as you're producing art.
>>
>>2503653
fucking gay
>>
>>2504041
is this a current shitpost meme or something?
seems to be a popular phrase among many /ic/ threads altely.
>>
All this talking and no drawing
>>
File: swamp-master.png (718 KB, 1926x1592) Image search: [Google]
swamp-master.png
718 KB, 1926x1592
this is my kind of thread
that was tons of fun
>>
>>2506931
I like it. Finally someone is getting it started.
>>
File: 0043b1.jpg (75 KB, 1000x540) Image search: [Google]
0043b1.jpg
75 KB, 1000x540
bump
>>
File: 0043b2.jpg (108 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
0043b2.jpg
108 KB, 1000x600
>>2508166
bump again
>>
File: idk.png (2 MB, 2480x3508) Image search: [Google]
idk.png
2 MB, 2480x3508
i love the idea of this thread alas i have finals to study for

ill be back
>>
>>2508582
>shines light directly into eyes at all times
>bottom right sketch has eyes in shadow
>>
This sounds like a fun project to tackle. I need to learn how to draw before I can attempt character design.
>>
>>2508582
lmaoo good looking, cant really be shadowy and mysterious with lights around your head. im thinking of either having them dim and decorative or one sticking from his hat. i want to play with the lamp and his some more.

im thinking of putting a bunch of lamps on his staff too. all thoughts.
>>
>>2508893
>>2508944
replied to the wrong anon my b
>>
File: Raftman doodle.jpg (1 MB, 1501x2238) Image search: [Google]
Raftman doodle.jpg
1 MB, 1501x2238
I know it's kinda bad, but my art skills aren't really up to snuff yet. Also, I didn't make a figure sketch beforehand. At least the concept's there, which is all I really could hope for at this point.
>>
Don't die.
>>
>>2508438
I like these!
>>
>>2508967
>kinda bad

You need the sticky, bro.
>>
>>2508438
all you did was copy it exactly and made it a girl
this isn't designing bro
>>
>>2513943
this
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.