[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How much work is art school actually? And what art schools are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: mission-art-center-7-780.jpg (93 KB, 780x342) Image search: [Google]
mission-art-center-7-780.jpg
93 KB, 780x342
How much work is art school actually? And what art schools are just looking for warm paying bodies

My mom wants me to do something other than NEET after I've spent a few years out of high school ostensibly working on my portfolio and I have nothing else I'd want to do so I might as well go because we're wealthy and she's footing the bill, but I really don't want to put in the work, and if we were really honest with each other we'd just admit that family money will be funding my lifestyle for the rest of my life and I'll never actually do a dimes worth of work in my life but we aren't exactly to that point yet. I practice maybe half an hour each week and have no intention of changing but I don't want to have to say I failed out of literally the easiest college option there is in the world.
>>
You know I was going to give you some advice, but your post just filled me with contempt.

I almost suspect this is trolling, but I'll answer the question anyway.

Art School is exactly as hard as you make it. If you want to do the bare minimum of work you can probably pass all your classes and graduate without much difficulty, but you'll never make it as a professional and your degree will just collect dust.

Since that seems to be your goal, you should go apologize to your mother for wanting to waste her money like that.
>>
>practices maybe half an hour each week
>has no intention of changing
>wants to be an Artist
>>
>>2494434

No, see. They don't want to be an artist. They want to slack their way through school so they can convince their mother that they're doing something, anything with their lives.

Why don't you go to school of visual arts in NY, OP, if you're hell bent on this ridiculous course of life? My roommate went there, and he says that they'll let anyone in.

But, they actually have talented and experienced teachers there, so if you change your mind and actually feel like doing something with your life, you'll be in a place with actual resources and quality teachers.
>>
I went to art school with a guy just like you. Rich mom in Thailand funded his education, he was moderately talented, but didn't give a shit. He bombed most classes because he just didn't work, and barely graduated, because he was more interested in socializing. Afterward he bounced around between his home country and the states; after I got a job at a studio he tried to get me to get him a job, but he couldn't even bother to get together a portfolio for me to show anyone, and I said I couldn't recommend him because he was never going to do the work. I only saw him once after that. He seemed really sad and lonely. I think he just went to school and wanted the job to hang out with people.

So my advice to you is to go study something you might actually find satisfying, since even though you have all the money you need, you are gonna be very alone after all the friends you make there go get jobs and you didn't give enough of a shit to actually go work with them. At least if you study something you like then you'll be good at a thing.

And don't start with that shit about how you don't need friends or you have enough friends or you can always buy friends, little baby boy, when you're 35 having never accomplished anything and never been good at anything and don't have any genuine people in your life, you'll wish you had a couple people around you who love you for reasons that aren't your mommy's money.
>>
if your mom wants to throw 90k down the drain then why not?
>>
>>2494446
>Why don't you go to school of visual arts in NY, OP, if you're hell bent on this ridiculous course of life? My roommate went there, and he says that they'll let anyone in.
how much does it cost?
>>
>>2494417

I'm in the same situation as OP, but I do want to get better. But i have another problem, my grades.

My GPA is 2.5 and as I am an American that lives overseas I didn't ever even take the SAT.

I don't really know what to do. My skills aren't even that good, and while I do have potential, I feel like I'm loosing my motivation faster everyday.

I think that if I don't go to college by 21, I'll kill my self. Seriously, I think death is a pretty good way out of all this bullshit.
>>
>>2495418

I don't know. Too much apparently since he's always griping about his loan debt.

>>2495435

You don't need to go to college, per se, for art. There are many resources and schools that will give you a better art education than a college will.

What kind of art do you do?
>>
>>2494465

That actually hit really hard, brah. Sadly i've heard and know that advice and try to make an effort to change but then it fizzles out. I don't know what to do.
>>
>>2494417
> what art schools are just looking for warm paying bodies

Literally all of them

>How much work is art school actually
It's completely up to you. You can graduate by doing just the bare minimum It's near impossible to fail an art school. You can graduate and still be a completely shitty artist.

It's all completely up to you. Art schools give you the time, facilities, and competitive art atmosphere. You can complete your assignments all in your classes and go home to play video games the entire time and still graduate.

If you want to be good though you will utilize the facilities(like figure drawing, computer labs, and painting buildings to keep your longterm stilllives and figure paintings still setup in a building designed specifically for painting. It will have proper ventilation and all that shit.) and then you will go home and paint all day and not do dumb shit like play video games or go to parties. You can also learn even more by collaborating with other art disciplines while going to the school Photography, fashion design, animaiton, illustration, ect.

It's all up to you. Don't be a lazy.

I came from an incredibly poor family from rural america. The first time I left my state was to go to art school and I left all by myself. I have really bad anxiety and I'm shy and awkward as fuck but I went there by myself and graduated as one of the best artists in the school. I then went to get work.

You haven o idea what it's like to be poor and I doubt you ever will. Odds are you won't put in the time and just coast through the school like 99% of the rich kids there.
>>
File: 63951_001.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1920) Image search: [Google]
63951_001.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1920
>>2495435
C O M M U N I T Y C O L L E G E.
>>
>>2494417
Go to a school where there's a solid humanities dep't and take philosophy and literature. Learn about the suffering of the world and internalize it as you eventually realize how alone and empty your existence is in this vast world of individuals following their own interests. Take mushrooms and earn your own insight through your own chasm of semi-sanity, depression, and mania. Go to a hospital if you need to, but at the end of this, if it's all in conversation with your art, you'll be in solid runnings for being an actual artist :) <3
>>
Op I won't lie to you I'm similar to you. I work two jobs on and off finishing up art school and getting my masters in teaching.

I wouldn't say I'm particularly good. I draw animals and some abstract stuff but otherwise I'm basic, run of the mill.

i found my joy was in helping kids draw, and I'm okay with that. You don't have to be the most amazing artist in the world to be happy op, just have a plan and make some money. Hell, Picasso was broke for a good 13 years before he made any money.

There is a lot of know it all "I did it all on my own and your weak shit" answers but op you can make life literally whatever you choose. It just takes time and money.
>>
>>2494417
>I really don't want to put in the work

Okay, I'm not a great artist. In fact, I'm sub-human trash-tier. However, even I know that this is a stupid notion. Why bother going to college, or do art in general, if you're not willing to put in work?!

Art can be really fun, but you'll never improve if you don't put in the effort. I call BS on your claim that you'd

>ostensibly (work) on my portfolio

because that entails actual work.

As per the rest of your post, ignoring your atitude, I'd suggest you go to regular college and major in something else you like doing or think you'd be good at. That'a way, if your mom shoves you off on your own, you can secure a decent job with a degree. This will allow you to afford your living expenses and thus support you as you practice your art in your spare time. Only go to art school if you're 110% that you wanna' do art for the rest of your life, and even then remember that you gotta' bring the labor.
>>
>>2495913
Maybe I was unduely harsh...
>>
>>2495678
To add, when I was in school there was a girl in my class that told everyone that the only reason she was there was because her father would only pay for her living if she got a college degree. She said she choose art school cus it would be the easiest way to do it.

Which is true, I guess.
>>
>>2495435

>>2495689

Seriously. Get a high GPA on your A.A. and then transfer wherever you want to go. I was lucky I had access to CC during highschool so it made sense for me to just finish my first degree there. Dont get me wrong I got good grades, but I basically had a 3.5 at my CC and some experience in the field I wanted to work in through volunteerwork and I got into one of the most competitive programs in one of the most competitive public schools in my state. I'm not saying that to brag- If my dumb ass can do it you can too. And it's probably hit or miss but I had some good profs when I took art classes as electives. If anything I think my CC was way more practical and traditional minded (as opposed to modern art) than my current school.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.