[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What hand should I draw with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
After years of putting it off, I've decided to kick inertia to the side and finally start practicing drawing. I have a few beginners tutorials set up, I've set a space and a time to practice, I've read up on grips and on how to use your shoulder... but that left me with a question. What hand should I use?

Although I'm a lefty, whenever I've imagined myself drawing I see myself using the right hand for some reason. I read an article a few years ago that stated people should draw with the hand opposite of the one they use to write since, for the brain, writing and drawing are completely different skills. Using the other hand would lead you to develop your skills without the interference of the habits you've developed to help you write.
I can't find this article now, no matter how much I try. All I find are webpages saying you should draw and write occasionally with your other hand to promote brain tissue growth or giving hippie testemonials on how it'll allow you to draw your "inner emotions" better.

At the same time, although I don't want to go pro with my drawing, I also don't want to regret doing it like this five years down the line, when I realize one can never reach the same skill-level with their non-dominant hand as they would have with their dominant one.
Does anyone have any experience on this subject? Can people reach the same level with whatever hand they start drawing with, or would the non-dominant one eventually plateau lower than the dominant one?
>>
File: UZEGW2y.jpg (106 KB, 593x698) Image search: [Google]
UZEGW2y.jpg
106 KB, 593x698
>>2492407

shut the fuck up and draw.
>>
>>2492407
>I've decided to kick inertia to the side and finally start practicing drawing

> I have a few beginners tutorials set up, I've set a space and a time to practice, I've read up on grips and on how to use your shoulder
Uh huh...
Draw you faggot.
>>
>>2492410
>>2492415
Sure, but can I go ahead and do it with the right hand or will I regret it eventually?
>>
>>2492420
It doesn't matter, just use your dominant hand instead of worrying about pseudo-science bullshit that doesn't matter in the end anyway.
>>
>>2492410
sauce on these boner condoners?
>>
>>2492420
You're going to fail anyways.
Just pick your feet and quit early.
>>
>>2492410
delete this 3DPD travesty
>>
>>2492407
Most if not all artists who are not ambidextrous use their writing hand to draw because it's your most dominant hand, the one that's strongest, and thus has the most control (which you want when you get into drawing).

So maybe for gesture and underdrawing you could use your opposite hand but you're not going to get any good details or specific lines if you're drawing with your non-dominant hand.

Stop being retarded and overthinking and just draw.
>>
>>2492441
>>2492464
Started already. Thanks for the advice.
>>
Is there anyone who choose to became ambidextrous and after succeeding, noticed problems that a lot of ambidextrous deal with or any other type of new found difficulties?
>>
>>2496072
I started growing ligameme in my left wrist. Feelsbadman.jpg
>>
>>2492410
i agree, way too many fucking people take weeks to find the right set of pencils and notebook to use before drawing and never get around it

the amount of excuses i've heard is acutally so insane i think, they clearly don't want to draw so i don't see why they should lie to themselves
>>
Is my hand supposed to touch the paper when I'm drawing?
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.