[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I get good with traditional before working on tablet?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: Untitled.png (813 KB, 1300x834) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
813 KB, 1300x834
Should I get good with traditional before working on tablet?
>>
>>2492171
You can learn drawing on the computer just fine. Most people just advise against it because they can't trust you not being retarded and getting caught up in tools and tricks so they rather just take the choking hazard toys away from you and give you paper and pencil.

If you can't trust yourself not being retarded then do traditional first.
>>
>>2492194

> not being retarded

what did he mean by this?
>>
>>2492194
It's so easy for people like OP to do really close wrist drawing like they're writing words. If he never does traditional and learns to use his whole arm he'll be DA tier forever.
>>
>>2492196
If someone draws traditionally with a pencil and paper, there's nothing stopping them from drawing with their wrist.
>>
>>2492171
Just do both. Getting good is not something you just do and then get it off your checklist and move on to something else. Start drawing with a tablet early on so you can get used to it, but never stop doing traditional drawings every so often on the side.
>>
>>2492202

I just want to draw a few anime grills m8
>>
>>2492223
That's how it begins, then before you know it, you are thinking of going to art school
>>
>>2492246

xDDD
>>
>>2492223
Then people shit on you because you dont know fundamentals of the human body and you give up
>>
>>2492246
That was always my fear getting into art as a kid which is why I gave up on it. Didn't want to disappoint my parents and myself
Now I'm thinking fuck it, finishing my degree in accounting and working on improving at the same time
>>
>got an Intuos draw way back as a beginner
>didn't touch it after realizing it was much harder than paper
>absolutely turned off on digital drawing other than wanting to own a tablet
Did I fall for the meme guys?
>>
>>2492387
GIANO
I
A
N
O
>>
>>2492171
Kinda related, does anyone else have the problem that your arms/hands stick to the tablet when drawing and therefore not being able to use full ROM with shoulders and elbows?
>>
>>2493427
smudgeguard
>>
>>2492195
When you do traditional, it's pretty straight forward. You - tool - paper. On tablet your are facing too many choices and you will be overwhelmed with possibilities of photshop which will make you fall for gimmicks that are not fundamental. As for what are fundamentals. Fundamentals are skillz that you can tranfer to any medium be it pencil, photoshop or sculpting
>>
>>2492387
Yea, you fell for it.
>>
>>2493633
what?
>>
>>2492201
it's much easier to fall into, most digital artist get some tiny ass tablet like an Intuos small or something
>>
>>2492387

I don't understand people who say this.

When you are drawing you are looking at something or using knowledge and imagination.

Do people have to consciously think about their hands?

Anyway, just practice drawabox lesson on the tablet.
>>
>>2492171
Both!

>draw and ink traditionally
>color and cleanup digitally

You could have a shit tier sketchbook that you scan up into photoshop and turn into some sick digital painting/comics

Cintiqs and shit really don't compare to using some real flowing ink and some good old dry media. But, getting a cheap ass tablet to color and paint over your stuff will give you a sort of quality that's hard to beat.
>>
>>2493427

I don't have this problem myself, but a lot of artists I know use this:

http://www.coolgraphicstuff.com/products/smudgeguard2
>>
>>2492387

I avoided digital art for years because I just couldn't get a feel for it. Finally I just brute-forced it because every studio wants you to know digital art.

When I got a Cintiq it got much, much easier.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.