[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help on Art School
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4
File: p1010016.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
p1010016.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2560
I'm a frustrated engineering student, and I want to get into arts. The problem is:
- I'm a begineer in drawing, and to convince my parents that I can do good in arts, I should git gud till february
- In the next february will happen the next admission in the university. It is a test in visual perception and drawing.

With that in mind, I want to focus this year to git gud, and be ready to pass the test, and show my parents that I can do arts.
So, someone can help me with a routine for rest of this year? I'm thinking in at least 6 hours per day in the beginning:
- 1 hour with line exercises
- 2 hour with still life drawings
- 2 hour with figure drawing
- 1 hour with landscape drawing
>>
Ask yourself if you've ever done anything as rigorous as 6 whole fucking hours each day.

Use your time wisely. And always keep learning. Accelerate that learning any way you can.

That doesn't necessarily mean 6 hours a day.
>>
>>2484447
Line exercises are pointless after your first 20 hours drawing because you will be practicing it in everything you do

Also the stuff you listed is just different subjects not actual fundamentals like shapes perspective anatomy and values.

go to the sticky
>>
>>2484454
When I say still life, for example, I mean everything that include it, like 3d shapes, some shades and values. When saying figure drawing, that includes gesture, basic anatomy, etc.
I'm using some books from the sticky.

>>2484451
That's a problem that I have. I will try to begin 'little', then keep increasing that time.
This six hours would be spaced throughout.

I am searching for help cause I must git gud till february, otherwise I'm out.
>>
>>2484467
My point is you should choose a focus for your art, what do you want to draw, learn that first not trying to cram figures and landscapes.

If you just want to show off something good its super easy to get good a copying a photo in that time but actually drawing at the same level from imagination will take you longer then a year.
>>
>>2484521
What do you mean by focus?
The point is not to show something good, but studying and progressing to at least show my parents that is something that I can do.

The test happens in 11 months, and usually is composed by:

2 or 3 drawings from observation, usually basic forms, values and shades/illumination.
2 drawings from imagination, based in a piece of poem. (Can be human figure or simple landscapes)
>>
>>2484528
Figure drawing is a focus, if you want to actually draw people you focus heavily on that and don't look at landscapes.

There is so much to learn about figure drawing you wont even want to think about landscapes.
>>
>>2484533
Thanks, that is something that I will have in mind.
Any tip in a routine that I must follow?
>>
>>2484536
Start with draw a box and do the first lesson then just crack open as many drawing books and start learning them.
>>
>>2484536
There's a few.
Can anyone link the pdf line on "1 year to git gud"?

It's a decent pdf, but it'll give you an idea of what fundamentals to learn.
However, the books offered in the pdf are a bit minimal. It should offer more research/study for each subject.

Be sure to look for lectures to download on said subject as well. And since you're a beginner, mileage is very important. To increase that mileage, do double the homework.
>>
>>2484539
Thank you!

>>2484539
Thank you very much! I will look for this pdf!
>>
>>2484533
Different anon here, what if you want to draw comics/dynamic stuff? Don't you need to know both figures and landscape/drawing from environment, so you can place the figures accurately in their environment? Can you have 2 focuses?
>>
File: ARB.jpg (3 MB, 3262x4982) Image search: [Google]
ARB.jpg
3 MB, 3262x4982
>>2484447

Don't go to art school until you've given yourself a good deal of time on your own (I'd say get a part time job and try to apply to art school - if necessary - when you're no younger than 22; these schools are NOT going to disappear if you don't attend them right out of highschool or whatever your equivalent is. If you're just deciding to draw right now spontaneously and want to go into art school going in basically blind you're making a terrible mistake.
>>
>>2484567

Don't comic book artists like drop off the scenery and stuff to other departments and the big artists draw the characters?
>>
>>2484572
this
I did the same mistake of OP when in economic high school. I decided to switch on arts so I started grinding them at the cost of my high school grades, which being in the last 2 year where the most important. I even had an art teacher in this period payed by my parents and yet I did poorly in the entry exam, so my parents didn't allow me to neet

now I have a job and draw in the free time, and made my biggest art gains yet. I feel, if I could put some money for it, I could enter in an art university, and also make use of it. if you are not decent at drawing, an university won't do much. you first have to learn the abc of something before entering in a uni for it, and that takes years

tldr: you need more time than that, get a job, neet for a while, get again a job, and go for it when you'll feel ready
>>
>>2484447
Art should be a hobby for you, at least untill you get gud
>>
>>2484572
>>2484604
Thanks for the advices.

I'm 24 years old, and where I live university courses are free. I really know that just one year is a very short time. During this one year milestone, I would remain in engineering, but working all my free time to work this idea.
Every february there are submissions to this school, so if I don't make it this next, I can try 2018 and so on.
>>
>>2484587
Western artists don't have that luxury, you're thinking about manga artists and their assistants.
>>
>>2484636
as far as I know western comic artist can work on teams too, but they are more like:
>one guy for sketching
>one guy for inking
>one guy for coloring
>>
>>2484447
Don't switch majors.
Just aim to be a straight C student and spend most of your time drawing.
>>
I'm a 25 year old finance major and my plan is to graduate and work in finance/accounting full-time and work on my Art during free time. Then take online courses at Watts. I originally wanted to do art school when I was younger but realized that shit won't pay the bills. A degree in art is worthless if your skills aren't up to par. My finance degree on the other hand will land me a stable job with good pay and benefits while I settle in and draw whenever I'm free. And perhaps one day transition to an art career if I get gud
>>
File: 52540054c49fb-full-0.jpg (49 KB, 423x768) Image search: [Google]
52540054c49fb-full-0.jpg
49 KB, 423x768
>>2484673
>i can learn art in my spare time
>being this delusional

Good luck on creating nothing exceptional.
>>
>>2484626
even it being a hobby is git gud
if you want to like your art you have to get better, even as a hobby
>>
>>2484447
>a frustrated engineering student
what engineering is it? Computer? Electrical? Mechanical?

If you are already in engineering school the hard part is over. Just power through the classes. Imagine how great it will be to earn 6 figures for low brow engineering work, then going home to draw for hours on end.

Also, look into product design and industrial design if you are studying Mech E or materials.
>>
>>2484447
My advice is to observe, draw from memory, re observe, then make corrections. When you feel you've hit an impasse draw directly from reference and make note of what you did wrong.

Do this ALL. THE. TIME. Drawing directly from a reference doesn't teach you much about rationalizing what you're seeing, and drawing from imagination is useless if you don't have a catalogue of information built up. Drawing, observing, and drawing again works a lot more of your drawing/thinking muscles than just doing line exercises or meticulously trying to copy what's infront of you.

You're totally free to change things up, like going to a coffee shop and just drawing your surroundings in your sketchbook, you don't necessarilly have to draw it from memory and then make corrections, just draw. Always be drawing basically. Just don't focus on training your eye, you have to train your mind as well.
>>
File: martinus final.png (1019 KB, 495x700) Image search: [Google]
martinus final.png
1019 KB, 495x700
>>2484447
Some stuff besides the basics recommended in the header-

Drawing on the Right side of the Brain- it's shit tier, but it should get you up and drawing quickly. Enough to impress your stupid family.Is it recommended in the header? Can't be bothered to check.

The Natural Way to Draw-Kimon Nicolaides, is an intensive drawing regimen, better with a nude model. Though you don't always need a nude model, but you can substitute with free or paid for nude artist resources online, but those aren't as good as the real thing. You could probably hire a real nude model and do drawings and take your own pictures for the price of some online resources like Proko. For a lot of the quick gesture exercises I like to go down to where people are playing sport or engaging in physical labour, and sometimes for the long period exercises I'd draw street vagrants, but that can turn out badly.

The Act of Drawing by Edward Laning is also quite good apparently, but I haven't used it as much.

The pdfs are super easy to find torrents of, or you could buy the books from Amazon.

And also colour theory is important, and this landscape artist on youtube gives some good advice. He covers the RGB and CMYK colour wheel for oil painting, but it applies beyond that as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rU2Juual18&list=PLKT4wTDASG8SGqK1Ww_rYxP3qqLP0lSxP&index=1&nohtml5=False

If you want to get really good at quick cheezy oil paintings, or just wet-on-wet techniques that you can then apply in plein air techniques to make sellable paintings with a modicum of skill, Bob Ross is a good resource. But this once he had a guy, Ben Stahl on who obviously went by the impressionist and post impressionist schools, and had won a bunch of awards for technical mastery. He managed to do a short painting, which you could continue with or leave as is, and managed to mumble everything there is about painting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8az7PxTUeNM
>>
>>2484684
Plenty of people are able to, I'm sorry you just don't have the spark.
>>
>>2484684
Anyone with a full time job can easily devote enough hours into drawing after work and during weekends, retard
>>
>>2484684
>/ic/ being able to create anything exceptional

Most people here haven't even touched on Loomis
>>
>>2484897
>falling for the Loomis meme

famalam Loomis doesn't have the spark of ligameme
>>
OP here. Is NMA an option?
Not worried now about a giant progress in 1 year.
>>
>>2484895
If they aren't too tired that is and don't have life outside work
>>
>>2484673
I'm with you on this fellow anon. Currently studying accounting and I'm 23 years old. I am absolutely horrible at art but at one point I used to be pretty good
I gave that all up as a teenager because I was afraid of falling in love with it too hard and disappointing my parents by deciding that I want to pursue it as more than a hobby
I'm relearning the fundamentals again and despite drawing atrociously, I'm much more happy now with myself
Keep going anon! If all else fails, we still have our business degrees to fall back on and live comfortably with
>>
>>2485213
>>2484673
>>2484703
OP here. I'm currently in Systems Engineering, half of the course.
You guys made me rethink it a little, and try to force my way till the end of it, and afterwards, try art school.
But, will I have time to practice seriously having a full time job?
>>
>>2485261
Yes you can practice seriously while working fulltime or going to school. Question is do you have the drive to studie art with all your free time or sleepdeprive yourself so that you can have free time at night. Because that is the kind of passion you need.
I had school 10-14 hours a day. i would do studies in the morning while eating breakfast and when i got home i would eat dinner and have a hour long break before doing more studies and original work until 12 or 1 am. after that i would watch some stupid show while laying in bed and then get a few hours of sleep and then repeat the next day.
I was able to do it for a few months and it was hard as shit to keep the motivation at times since i was doing it all alone. But it was the time period where i made the biggest gains and pretty much went from deviantart shit teir to decent enough to get started with some small paid jobs here and there.

If you don't have the passion to work on your art right now with most of your freetime it probably isn't worth going to artschool because artschools don't give you the skills automatically, you have to work for them mostly on your own.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.