[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck is this art when I could literally write my name
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (701 KB, 1853x2497) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
701 KB, 1853x2497
How the fuck is this art when I could literally write my name on a toilet and it would have the same effect?
>>
Bait thread. Read art history.
>>
>>2483794
>How the fuck is this art
It isn't.
>>
Hey OP who decided to let you be the judge of what is art and what isn't?
>>
>>2483826
Everyone knows art is objective.
>>
>>2483794
how is it not art because you could hypothetically produce the same kind of art?
>>
>>2483794
art is subjective
>>
>>2483794
It's deliberately trying to attack astheticism. It was rejected from an open art show that would show anything. The artist signed it "R Mutt" instead of his real name.

It's the beginning of a sort of postmodern conceptualism that I fucking hate. But it was clever at the time. And he could actually paint and draw.
>>
>>2483794
>>>/his/
>>
>>2483847
this is a good post in a bad thread
>>
>>2483794
>its art because it portrays where society is going
>>
>>2483794
Just look up the work of art professors in colleges. You will mostly see the edgy work of glorified soccer moms. No one knows any fundamentals or has any interest in learning to draw.

Those who graduate from those colleges and work as professional artists will make random stuff like you posted and focus on the concept and the edgy message behind the 'work'.
It would be naive to think that any of them could paint or make interesting sculptures when their professors and lecturers don't produce anything of value.
>>
>>2483794
Just like copying the Mona Lisa will have the same effect as the original?
>>
it's not art, dumbass. Don't let yourself be brainwashed by cultural marxism.
>>
ignore this guy, he's an attentionfag on /mu/ and is willing to look like a clueless retard just for replies. absolute cancer.
>>
>>2483794
Because he did it first.
>>
What's the difference between dadaism and post-modernism?
>>
>>2484176
Dada was ironically shit and it became popular enough that people started liking it unironically, which became post-modernism.
>>
>mfw I started signing urinals S. Puss
>Some dude draws a cubist work on the wall
>>
>>2483794
I swear to god...

There must be this one guy who sits in his office cubicle all day just waiting to come back to /ic/ and repost old bait threads.

This exact same thread was only here last week.
>>
>>2483847
it's the name of the porcelaine manufacturer by the way.
>>
Like, dude, what's art and stuff man?

Greatest minds of the past 100 years can't decide but you be your ass /ic/ can.
>>
>>2483794
Kevin McDonald gave me the best explanation I have heard.
>>
>>2483794
Because no one did that before.
>>
>>2484387

No it's not. You need to pronounce it as the german word for poverty which makes it a statement
>>
You didn't do it first though! Modern art is all about new ideas.
>>
Fountain by Marcel Duchamp (1917).

It's not the piece that's the art, it's the message.
It's commentary.

To quote art critic Dave Praeger:
"Of all the artworks in this series of readymades, Fountain is perhaps the best known because the symbolic meaning of the toilet takes the conceptual challenge posed by the readymades to their most visceral extreme."

Which means "hey, fuck your expectations, because they're already shit", which transcended "edgelord"; it's existential absurdism in via appropriation and recontextualization in physical form.

It was a pretty big "F YOU" in 1917.
>>
>>2484665

It was. Hence it is bullocks that it is today considered as one of the epitomes of art.
>>
>>2484676
I disagree.
In the social sciences and arts, any early impact via concept is called a "staple impact".
If this isn't art, then all conceptual art is no longer art.
Picking and choosing is fine as long as you have consistent rules and aren't just being an edgelord reactionary for the sake of self importance.
>>
>>2484690
>If this isn't art, then all conceptual art is no longer art.

correct
>>
>>2484705
"The only people that reject conceptual art are people that either lack imagination, or lack the ability to to understand contextual inspiration."
~ Jesus on the cross
>>
>>2484707
>anything is art if i say it is

kys scrub
>>
>>2484736
>something is art if i say it is

no
>>
>>2484196
This.
>>
>>2485817
Yeah exactly.

There is nothing wrong with calling a toilet seat art, you just have to adjust what you think 'art' means. I wouldn't pay money for it but doesn't mean it isn't art.

It was making a statement about art. I think it's kind of on the nose and pretty dumb, but there you go. Anyone who pays money for it is missing the point by a wide margin.

"getting" to call something art isn't really all it's cracked up to be, the trick is doing something that matters, or that actually makes you money, or that is good for mankind. It isn't some huge privilege to call something art any more than it's a big privilege to call something 'homemade'.
>>
>>2483794
you didn't do it first, dip dip
>>
>>2485824
To clarify:

I totally get why people hate that this is classified as 'art'. It's because (toilet seat I found in dumpster) is sharing the same intellectual space as some of the highest-effort/highest-skill items ever produced by mankind. It feels like it devalues the very idea of art to let them co-exist.

Just remember that 'art' is an extremely broad classification. Nobody is saying that dumpster toilet and David are in the same intellectual portfolio. It's just a word. That some people get a huge boner for art that pokes fun of art is really more indicative of how people felt about art at the turn of the last century. It makes for interesting history but that's about it.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.