[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I already made this thread like 6 months ago, but since I haven't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
I already made this thread like 6 months ago, but since I haven't improved at all, let's try again. How do you approach hair? Last time the replies I got were "it's hair so you can do whatever you want" but they always look horrible to me. Short hair is somewhat approachable even though I'm shit at that too, long hair is death and murder every time I try.
>>
>>2482566
Approach hair like ribbons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TnEi7ohMj0
>>
>>2482581
nice
>>
I find a good trick is to simply the hair into hair tufts. Look for patterns or forms and box in multiple hairs into tufts. Next assess where the light is coming from. Consider if the hair is matte or shiny? If you're drawing you want to use both a blunt pencil like 2B+ on shadows and to define the tufts and a sharp pencil like HB where the sharp light is and to define individual strands. Avoid drawing too many stray hairs, they usually clutter up your drawing if you do.

I don't have any good tips for painting hair, but i guess you just block in the colors and draw strands afterwards.

I think generally "less is more" applies to hair.
>>
Having the spark is a good trick, which you don't have.
>>
File: april-2-2016-3.jpg (479 KB, 802x900) Image search: [Google]
april-2-2016-3.jpg
479 KB, 802x900
im terrible at drawing hair but im awesome at painting it. idk how to block in large areas of hair swooshing in the same direction with thin pencil lines.

especially friggin black hair idk how to draw it without doing an outline and "coloring it in".
>>
>>2482656
fucking kill yourself
>>
>>2482669
Plan where the light goes and do the darkest area first. Try to use the flat side on the pencil. Start from the root and draw the stroke to the end. It's tedious as hell, but this is how you yield best results. Go lighter and lighter in gray done and you should be done.
>>
>>2483215
ill give that a shot. what you described sounds like it would be a lot easier in charcoal than pencil though. wish me luck!
>>
>>2482566
Just watch the first 3-4 min
http://www.cgmeetup.net/home/sculpting-hair-in-zbrush/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxY3AuFzsEk
you guys will probably call this tumblr tier but I like it
>>
>>2482581
Is Sycra just a bad meme?
>>
>>2483706
Fucking tumblr bullshit, i feel like a fag for just watching it.
>>
>>2482581
this is useless
>>2483706
doesn't even look like hair

All I fucking do is paint hair. Just all the god damn time. It's never ending. It seems like no matter how long I work on a never ending list of paintings I am always working on the hair.
>>
It took me about 3 years of constant struggle to even begin to be decent with drawing hair.

Some things that might be helpful...

Get the orientation/shape of the head the way you want it first then establish a hairline...this is important and sets the groundwork for the rest. Look up the shape of hairlines for men or women since they are different....and by hairline i don't just mean the forehead...there's a specific shape from the forehead to the ears to the back of the head that's nearly universal so learn it and remember it.

When you start the hair DO NOT fucking start drawing hair strands, in fact don't even THINK about drawing individual strands. Block the hair out like as if the person had an odd shaped helmet on. Where the hair folds over there are almost flat shapes at the top of the hair mass...don't just use round shapes.

Imagine the hair folding over itself or gently twisting. Some hair may go under other parts also. Take into account gravity at all times especially if the hair is long and flowing. If the hair has a parting show the hair flowing out of the part with a FEW well placed lines coming from the part and flowing out curving with the direction of the hair mass.
>>
Well yeah everybody is saying to pick big blocks instead of doing every strand, but how do you later go from big blocks to the finished product? I want to do more realistic hair instead of always resorting to cartoonish, blocky ones, but it feels like I spend 90% of the drawings just making hair and in the end I get tired and just say fuck it and give up.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.