[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright, /ic/ I need your opinion. At my art school, there's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: 1432323235045.png (220 KB, 366x480) Image search: [Google]
1432323235045.png
220 KB, 366x480
Alright, /ic/ I need your opinion.
At my art school, there's two classes I want to take:
Figure Sculpture (Fine Arts Department)
Maquette Sculpture (Entertainment Arts Dept.)

Since I can only take so many studio classes, I have to choose between the two. Ultimately, I want to be able to translate my 2d drawings into 3d be it traditional or digital. It's a skill that I think would be very useful in the profession that I'm working towards.

The Figure Sculpture class is basically described as "in strengthens ones eye hand translations as we work directly from models. Besides gesture studies, full body and bust projects during the semester, students are encouraged to explore their own interests in the figure or body. We also discuss how the figure is used in a contemporary context in relationship to its historical significants. But the emphasis is working directly from a model through out the semester."

While the Maquette Sculpture class is basically, "The ability to capture and represent a character in sculpture has many applications in the entertainment and toy industry. Creation of these sculptures are taught from concept drawings, through creation of armatures on suitable presentation bases through to the completion of the final sculptures, that are created in [super sculpey] clay."

Now I have very little experience in sculpting and both instructors said that they would teach it from the ground up. But I'm leaning towards the Figurative sculpture course as it might be beneficial....although I'll probably still learn just as much in the maquette course.

What should I do, /ic/...I'm very torn as these classes might not pop up again for a while after this semester.
>>
The question is really just do you want to do fine art or entertainment art?

The second class sounds appealing to me because I'm interested in character design for animation
>>
>>2313097

Look at the work the people teaching the class have made. Pick the class with the better artist. Some people will reply to this with, "but what if they can't teach", to which I would reply, "there is no such thing". The "good artist but bad teacher" is a myth spread by slackers who need to justify why they did poorly in a class with a "good artist". If the artist is good, and you work hard, you'll learn a lot from the class, end of story.
>>
>>2313110
I'm gonna disagree with this. I'm both a "good artist" and a good teacher (and I am not a 20-something puppy). I occasionally take classes in media I am not expert in to expand my skills. I do sometimes encounter good artists who aren't very good teachers. The students who usually suffer most are beginners as said teachers have difficulty teaching far below their own level. Despite that, I still tend to choose teachers based on their work because my own teaching experience enables me to eek information out of bad teachers regardless. So it's kind of a crap-shoot when you're a prospective student with little background info or reviews to go on. Ideally, you can look at the work and talk to former/current students to make the best decision.
>>
>>2313132
What course(s) do you teach? Does it pay well? Is it by choice or is it a way to pay the bills? How old are you and how old are your students?
>>
>>2313132
>the students who usually suffer the most are beginners as said teachers have difficulty teaching far below their own level

I don't see a problem with that. We need to stop coddling people who aren't going to make it. The world doesn't need anymore mediocre artists. Let the best rise, let the weak perish.
>>
>>2313097
>Look at the work the people teaching the class have made. Pick the class with the b

Hi OP, take the figure sculpting class.

Anatomy in 3d is way more important than in 2d. If you can sculpt the figure correctly you can do anything. If you can sculpt toys, you can only sculpt toys.

Also, nice image I've saved it.
>>
File: fba7b446594553.5607daaf201a4.jpg (65 KB, 600x451) Image search: [Google]
fba7b446594553.5607daaf201a4.jpg
65 KB, 600x451
Thanks for the responses guys.
I've done a little more research from when I posted this.
Just in case you guys were curious, the instructors are (FigSculpt) - Chido Johnson, and (MaqSculpt) - Larry Larson

I'm still trying to figure it out, but I think if I learned/watched a ton of sculpture videos/books over my 3 week break, it will give me a giant head start in comparison to going in blind.
I've emailed them both and still waiting on their responses... I will update with what they have to say. Pic sorta related (It's one of Larry Larson's students)

In the mean time, any good sculpting books? Videos? Gnomon and NMA is a given, but is there anything else?
>>
>>2313225
>one of Larry Larson's students

Glad you did that OP, reminded me to mention that you should also look at the student's work before and after if possible. Then you'll know if the teacher is a false prophet or the real deal.

You sound like you're on top of it though. Good luck.
>>
>>2313225

Stan Winston School, specifically Jordu Schell. He has a few demo vids on youtube as well.
>>
>>2313225

Philippe Faraut
>>
File: 1440350373095.jpg (70 KB, 604x472) Image search: [Google]
1440350373095.jpg
70 KB, 604x472
OP here again. Just got an email fro Chido Johnson. I don't know what I expected from a fine arts course:
"You will be able to use the figure as a mode of expression but it is not central to any of the projects. This class explores "sculpture" as a practice rooted in history but critically addressing the contemporary. The classes are project based and your materials would range in different mediums. From working with clay, plaster, rubber, wood, stone, cloth..depending on your ideas."

Probably going to go with the Maquette course after reading this.
The illustration department would be so based if we had an actual figure sculpture course that used live models and anatomy lessons...oh well.

One last question...since I won't be able to easily find nude models to pose for me, what would be a good way to have "life sculpting sessions" without the actual life part?

Thanks guys, you've been really helpful so far.
>>
>>2313714
If the figure professor is cool you might be able to sit in on a few classes. Ask, see if they'll play ball and see if it'll fit in your schedule. Many schools also host open figure drawing courses, and if you're in a city there will likely be classes you can attend for ~$5 or so. Ask around. In my opinion, if you want to go into illustration / commercial art, you should take the maq class and supplement fig sculpture / working directly from live models whenever you can fit it in your schedule.
>>
Alright...so I've dropped the Fine Arts course and decided to go towards the maquette course.

Also, regarding the anon above me, there are saturday figure drawing clinics and they said I could bring clay to these sessions.

How do I do gestures in clay? Do i need to have multiple armatures prepared? I get longer poses, but I'm confused on how to get the "quick gestural" part of sculpting
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.