[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what's the difference between drawing for fun and drawing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: anime.png (7 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
anime.png
7 KB, 640x480
what's the difference between drawing for fun and drawing as a professional? Do you think drawing for fun is a bad thing to do?

I just whipped up this drawing in a few seconds, free hand.
>>
>what's the difference between drawing for fun and drawing as a professional?
Responsibility, obligations, and money.

>Do you think drawing for fun is a bad thing to do?
No.
>>
>>2459352
Pretty much this. I want to also add critical thinking. An artist who is drawing for fun might not care about practicing anatomy and just want to draw fanart forever, whereas a professional might spend lots of time doing studies just to get better.
>>
How do I enjoy drawing again? I used to draw for fun, now I just get depressed at my lack of progress and how crap I am at it.
>>
>>2459388
Stop wanting to improve.
>>
>>2459403
How?
>>
>>2459415
You're using negativity to drive your improvement.
Just stop wanting to improve for a while and do something stupid.
>>
>>2459421
Honestly not trying to bait when I ask this but how do you do something without trying to improve at it?
>>
>>2459347

>drawing for fun
- fun

>drawing as a professional
- no fun
- no money
- no life
- draw shit you hate
- consider suicide every day
>>
>>2459423
Well, one option is drinking.
The other option is to do some kind of art you think is stupid.
At that point you won't be focusing on improving, because you really don't care about doing a good job
>>
>>2459427
Well I don't drink so I'll give the stupid art a try. Thanks
>>
>>2459429
It's a guess anyway, I don't know you personally, but I've dealt with a lot of problems.
>>
>>2459430
What kind of problems?
>>
>>2459434
why
>>
>>2460811
Don't steal my posts.
>>
>>2459362
>>2459403

I draw for fun as a hobby and don't aim to do it professionally, and part of that is developing a skill.
Trying to improve is part of the fun. It's satisfying to get better at something, most hobbyists don't want to sit in the same skill level forever.
>>
>>2460829
When your goal is pro though, you're putting your pride on the line.
It's taxing if you're a super serious person with moderate talent and it's easy to burnout once you hit a wall in your technique.
>>
you can make art for fun, and still participate in serious exhibitions. I enjoy the pride of people digging my work and critical acclaim (the little ive had) But with zero pressure. It can be a tiring and sometimes expensive hobby though.

I never had any intention of selling my work, its pretty fucking unown-able contemporary sculpture anyway. But ive had shows in NY , Paris, Sydney, London. You can reach a level where they pay for all the shipping ect and sometimes theres some money in it. ive never bothered trying to go beyond that though

The thought of having to make a living from it, and the stress of having to be creative all the time, i could not be fucked with it. just dont use the H word (hobby) when you're interacting with the art world/fellow artists.

Lately I just draw/paint for my own gratification, im feeling a bit burnt out and uncreative with the sculpture recently.
>>
Somewhat related question to OP

Why do people insist on being paid for art, and why do so many insist that what they have created is worth something?

I get paid to program, but programming sucks. They have to pay me otherwise I wouldn't do it.

I draw for fun, but I don't demand payment because I'm compensated with the joy of creating.
>>
>>2459424
am I doing something wrong here? I draw for fun but I also consider killing myself every day.
Especially after I see my drawings and they all turn out to be shit.
>>
>>2460915
have you tried printmaking. theres something about not being entirely responsible for the outcome that frees you from the self loathing.

If theres an etching course in your town try it out.

Or use a different medium and free yourself up a bit.

how old are you anon ?
>>
>>2460928
>Printmaking
Hell no, my dad died doing that.
>>
>>2460939
how did he die doing it?

I dont mean do printmaking till you kark it, just to get out of a rut
>>
>>2459347
drawing for fun, should be fun
but it isn't

you have to get really good before you can even draw for fun

so you might as well be a fucking professional while your at it

you can't do this shit as a hobby either
that will make you draw like a pro too

everything is about looking at everything that is WRONG with your work, you either improve and get better or you sit and wonder why you still try after 11 years wanting to do this for fucking FUN

tl;dr
it isn't fun when you suck and when your a pro it isn't fun

thats the fucking truth
>>
>>2459347
Professionals draw for fun all the time.

Hell, even work is fun for us most of the time.
>>
>>2460902
>I get paid to program, but programming sucks. They have to pay me otherwise I wouldn't do it.
Wouldn't you prefer it if you enjoyed programming so much you would do it for free... but was also paid for it on top of that?
>>
>>2459424
> draw shit you hate.

I don't think you know how portfolio works anon. You don't post shit on your portfolio that you hate doing.
>>
>>2462920
kek, you're stupid.
>>
>>2462923

You really shouldn't put work you hate doing in your portfolio, otherwise that's the kind of work people will hire you for. If you only put stuff you enjoy doing in there, you're more likely to get more enjoyable work.
>>
>>2462923
not him, but he's right. I'm guessing you are one of these bitter amateurs who never actually worked as artist before but convinced themselves that every client work professionals do, they must hate for some reasons.

You're usually hired for what your portfolio shows you can do best and that's normally not something you hate. Just because art isn't for you doesn't mean every professional hates it.
>>
i stopped drawing because drawing for fun is bad.

and i can't apply loomis
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.