[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I achieve shading like pic related? Is this some kind
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_mzmtrd3uNI1sntj12o1_500.jpg (103 KB, 467x622) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mzmtrd3uNI1sntj12o1_500.jpg
103 KB, 467x622
How do I achieve shading like pic related? Is this some kind of crosshatching?
>>
http://keimeguro.com/
A link to his website if it helps. He does say he uses photoshop in his FAQ but only to clean up smudges. Can I still achieve the shading traditionally?
>>
>>2452798
Light straight hatching, maybe smoothed with a tortillon. I'd guess.
>>
>>2452792
If you look close (zoom in if it helps) you'll see the drawstrokes.

There's no magic at play here, he's just using very light strokes and the direction of them lways follows the form of the subject, and he's obviously very skilled at it. Read Loomis, he explains all of this.

It should be possible to do this with pencils in fact it looks like pencils to me.
>>
>>2452792
It's shaded minimally with a lot of digital touch-up and soft rendering.
>>
>>2452792
looks like he used an airbrush brush at PS
>>
>>2452792
OPs picture looks Firez-tier. not sure why you are all saying it looks good.
>>
>>2452838
I'm sure you can do a lot better
>>
>>2452798
Yes but you will need a lot of different shades of lead.

Maybe see if toolkit has some timelapse video on his sketching.
>>
>>2452792
>hey that looks pretty good, must be asian artist
>KEI MEGURO
>Japanese graphic designer and illustrator
why am i not surprised
>>
>>2452838
you have no eyes if you think firez is capable of this
i mean the style is similar, but the difference in quality is lightyears ahead
>>
>>2452798
Last time I checked it's a girl who draws this not a guy
>>
>>2452838
Because it looks good you piece of shit. Fuck some of you guys have no fucking taste.
>>
>>2452923
Japs actually work hard at their trades
>>
>>2452838
lol why the fuck do so many of you fags hate on shit that looks good.
>but muh photocopier
>>
>>2453390
no it's because they speak the devil's tongue.
constantly writing in pagan hieroglyphs and sending love-letters to their elder gods.

if americans wrote more cursive they could keep up.
>>
File: seung-eun-kim-facestudy.jpg (302 KB, 1500x1812) Image search: [Google]
seung-eun-kim-facestudy.jpg
302 KB, 1500x1812
I think the real question is how to shade like pic related
>>
>>2453410
Hatching. It's academic technique as I know
>>
>>2453410
man i love that guy.
>>
>>2453410
>>2453436

Didn't know about this guy. Thanks for the images, anon. Gave me a new person to look up to.
>>
>>2453390
>>2453403
It's because japanese schools still actually teach people to draw. They have a lot of no-talent kids learning art the classical, formal way. In the west, only the people who have the talent and drive to be self-taught become good and their skill is all over the place.
>>
>>2452792
It would look so good if the light areas on her face didn't look so splotchy.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.