[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright /ic/ now you LITERALLY have no excuse to not be working
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 19
File: image.png (1 MB, 1440x1464) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 1440x1464
Alright /ic/ now you LITERALLY have no excuse to not be working on your own animated series

LITERALLY NO EXCUSE
>>
My PC can't handle Toonz.
>>
>software is the reason people don't make their own animated series
>>
one more step towards killing flash?
>>
>>2449761
that'd be nice
>>
Good. There aren't any professional grade open source tools for 2d animation. Even 3d people have Blender. There's Synfig and Tupi but those are pretty shit.
>>
>LITERALLY NO EXCUSE

does "I don't want to" count?
>>
>>2449754
Old ass software that doesnt help with anything????? idk why I replied to this bait
>>
>>2449754
hallelujah! No more stupid canadian shit software like toon boom or that boiler plate shit called flash.
>>
>>2449754
Except it will still be a huge amount of work to make something which is why none of us will do it.
>>
>>2449829
>us

you mean shut-ins that refuse to work with others
>>
I was planning on starting to learn TVPaint soon. Do you think Toonz is better?
>>
>>2449843
...and the ones who will together not do any hard work
>>
File: le smug gnu.png (138 KB, 1048x1024) Image search: [Google]
le smug gnu.png
138 KB, 1048x1024
>>2449754
but is it libre?
>>
File: WUp.jpg (322 KB, 950x740) Image search: [Google]
WUp.jpg
322 KB, 950x740
>>2449829
mark my words.
I am relocating to another flat in april and from there I'll be working intensively on launching my own studio and producing 2D animation films.
>>
>>2449868
same here. been wage slaving so hard and spending ever penny on equipment and parts for my studio. its hard man. specially when one believes in your family and constantly belittle you for it. be we chose to believe in our selves.
>>
>>2449849
whichever one is simpler i would assume is better for a beginner
>>
File: j91V0P.gif (3 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
j91V0P.gif
3 MB, 400x225
>>2449896
>>
>>2449761

i have doubt the Usability of Toonz is as friendly as Flash.

Sure flash is unstable and BS.
but it's really easy to use, and even the use of Actionscript opens it up for things that wouldn't be in a standard Animation Software.

bet people that use Flash will grab Toonz and probably drop it soon after due to it being more complex/unfriendly.
>>
>>2449754
Will it allow me to export 2D animations for a videogame project? If yes, I might try it
>>
>>2449865
Yeah, but probably not free as they explicitly state it being open source.
>>
I use clickteam fusion for my animations
its a shitty gamemaker thats descended from klik & play
but part of the joke in my videos is how shitty they look
>>
>>2449958
>kids these days are getting access to tablets, advanced software, and decades worth of condensed art education
>School doesn't take anywhere near as much time or stress as actual work as long as you are not a dumbass
>Parents tend to be leinent on kids if they are doing art "homework"
Fuck this is going to be an intense race against the millenials
>>
>>2450066
yeah but they're all entitled and so will half-ass it while claiming muh style so you have that advantage at least
>>
>>2450076
I shouldn't underestimate them when I have just begun on art
I'm going back to Scott Robertson
>>
Ooh, that'll be fun. I can't imagine different software makes much of a difference in hand-drawn animation, but I'm interested in getting a personal glimpse at the work process.

Speaking of animation software, has anyone here tried out Krita's animation beta yet? How is it?
>>
....Why though? that shit is ancient and hilariously unfriendly to new users. maybe not as bad as something like maya or cinema4d but still it probably won't replace flash or toon boom or tvpaint anytime soon.
>>
>>2449868
do you have some examples of your previous work? not asking to meme you, I'm really interested
>>
according to their mission statement, their business model is now in training for the software, so they do, potentially, have a stake in making the UI deliberately obfuscated, but hopefully it'll be good.
>>
>>2449754
what if I'm bad at drawing
>>
I am guessing that they are going to release a free version of Toonz along with a paid version that is better.

I mean how else will this company survive if their software is totally open source like they claim it is? Unless the company is closing shop now.
>>
>>2449754
Ha, right on my birthday
>>
>>2450131
If the software is going to be open source as they describe, other developers can just take the source code and make something even better.
>>
>>2450170
They're giving this version the new name OpenToonz, aren't they? That also makes me think that a paid version with more than just the basic features will be released.
>>
File: icanteven.jpg (416 KB, 572x600) Image search: [Google]
icanteven.jpg
416 KB, 572x600
>>2450118
not even joking - when I was 12 I think. found it snugged in a book - must have been proud of it.
>>
>>2449754
>LITERALLY NO EXCUSE
I don't know how to animate or use animation software.
>>
File: 1458316077552.gif (2 MB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1458316077552.gif
2 MB, 300x300
>>2449754

I'm excited to try this and actually start animating.
>>
Why would anyone want to get into 2d animation?
The pay is worse than working part time at McDonalds.
>>
>>2449754
so when is /ic/ gonna team up and make an adult swim pilot?
>>
>>2450579
Because it's very satisfying when you produce something even kind of good. Sometimes people choose love over money.
>>
>>2450579
>why would anyone get into art it pays shit

Anon did you really only get into drawing just to grab a few bucks?
>>
File: tumblr_msvseafYc01sflbiso1_500.gif (65 KB, 221x145) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msvseafYc01sflbiso1_500.gif
65 KB, 221x145
LISTEN UP DICKHEADS

We need to create a community for this software to produce self made hentai animations. Some very talented guys can make the animation key frames and templates. Then /ic/ cunts can go and create their waifus and husbanos head in various sexual animations just like the konashion.blogspot(.)com flash game but that shit was old school where everyone made their own character.

How about it, we can all produce the largest wave of self made hentai on the internet.
>>
>>2450612
And you're going to be the ideas guy, right? lmao.
>>
>>2449865
No but seriously is it libre? Does anyone know what license they're going to use for OpenToonz?
>>
>>2450579
It seems to be doing well in the vidya industry. I'm getting pretty interested in learning how to animate and I was hoping someone would reply to my comment telling me where to start but I think I'll just drop into one of the animation generals sometime.
>>
File: a5d8Rqy.jpg (154 KB, 1080x822) Image search: [Google]
a5d8Rqy.jpg
154 KB, 1080x822
>>2450612
I fully support this..good luck anon!
>>
File: 1454315694419.gif (208 KB, 312x322) Image search: [Google]
1454315694419.gif
208 KB, 312x322
>>2450612
SHITTERS FROM 4CHAN WILL BE THE PIONEERS IN OPENSOURCE HENTAI!
>>
>>2449754
i don't own and cannot afford a tablet

theres your excuse
>>
>>2450579
It's not like there is any realistic career opportunity left in 3D animation either, unless you are a top of your class Gobelins or CalArts graduate. The market is completely oversaturated.

Doing 2D animation is actually your best shot at making money with it. Just don't aim for a conventional career but rather do something unconventional, like the guys who did the Reward. Patreon has opened the doors for a resurrection of 2D animation.
>>
>>2449754
>LITERALLY NO EXCUSE

this is cool and all but I wanna draw doujinshi, not animation
>>
>>2450612
but i wanna make stuff for kids and for all ages to enjoy, help inspire people or get them doing something creative. I don't want to cater to people who think with their dicks
>>
Took a look at the video, it can do most of what toonboom can at least from the video (and it's plastic deformer looks more complex than the deformer toonboom has).

However, i didn't see any way to bind things to a color as a mask, or to have overlay/underlay/line/colour layers within a single layer, which is quite a bummer. Also didn't see any patching ability (overlap two limbs or objects and have a color in the color layer overlap the line art of both to create a seamless hand or anything else, in their puppet video the arm was clipping quite badly in puppet mode and in deformer plastic mode the limbs were growing in size which is not what you want for limbs).

Will have to wait and see when it comes out whether it has those.

Also, all those fucking articles about how everyone is gonna be an animator now. My fucking sides, only a tiny percentage will use this who are already animators (or a few who will get into it).

Everyone else will try it for an hour, realize how fucking hard it is to make anything and quit.
>>
>>2449754
it is incredibly hard to animate so there is that.
>>
>>2449754
Could anyone explain why this makes animation any easier ? Does it do more interpolation between frames or is it just meme magik ?
I'm a coder / music man.
>>
You can make an animated series with pens, paper, and a scanner. The MEANS of making an animation has never been the limiting factor.
>>
>>2449825
>not using TVPaint
>>
>>2450612
This is the reason why Miyazaki quit doing anime.
>>
>>2449754
What is supposed to make this software special?
>>
>>2455225
Apparently it was used by Ghibli. So the casual weebs are eating this news up; I think
>>
I have LITERALLY no interest in animation AT ALL.
>>
>>2450981
No offense but you are quite incorrect about no realistic career opportunities in 3d. Go to any jobsearch site and Google animation. 3d jobs everywhere.

I've just begun my career in the animation industry and let me tell ya, nothing about achieving your dream is hard in this industry if you're not aiming for mediocrity. Don't think anyone can stop you if you git gud, schools don't matter as much as you think.
>>
Animation in shit like youtube hardly gets any following unless you're doing some shit like Q&A video shit.
>>
>>2455279
And anyway, it seems to me that people that go on this board telling everyone that their chances of making it in animation are somehow incredibly worse than those who go to calarts/gobelins etc, are exactly the types that spend 18h a day cursing their "poor luck" instead of getting good. What these schools provide is a fantastic place for talented aspiring animators to flourish, therefore they come out of it with great showreels and connections. But that certainly doesn't mean that if you work hard you can't get those same jobs. Less whining and more working, a negative attitude won't do you any favors in this industry.
>>
>>2455225
It makes you shit bricks of gold.
>>
>>2451284
How though, being serious here
>>
>>2450086

Nothing really special, they just added basic things like a lightbox or a timeline. Doesn't seem bad as a beginner's tool right now, except that you can't export animations without saving them as individual frames and monkeyjamming them together later on.
>>
HOW DO I GET THIS THING?
>>
https://opentoonz.github.io/e/index.html
!!!!

For some reason though it crashes as soon as it opens. Does anyone else have this issue?
>>
>>2457917
I think it's 'cause I have 2 monitors.
>>
>>2449868
>>2449896
>>2449909
Good luck to you lot!
>>
File: 1359625734709.gif (1017 KB, 229x188) Image search: [Google]
1359625734709.gif
1017 KB, 229x188
>>2457917
wow this looks like a complex software. it will take me a couple of hours to figure things out.
>>
>>2457937
how goes it? should i download this thing?
>>
>>2457918
Delete lvcod64.dll (well save a copy) from C:\Windows\System32 then it works.
>>
>>2457917
>>2457918
That anon again, confirming that the brush is beautiful. And the X-Sheet is very nice too. Quite a steep learning curve (pretty much vertical) but looks worth it so far.
>>
>>2457998
what is holding you back? try it out yourself.
>>
File: 1373670499751.jpg (127 KB, 590x417) Image search: [Google]
1373670499751.jpg
127 KB, 590x417
>not available for Linux
>>
>>2457937
i don't like complex programs, why can't they make them simpler/user friendly?
is it more or less complex than PS? cause PS is easy to me.
>>
File: UHHHH.png (88 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
UHHHH.png
88 KB, 1920x1080
>>2458195

this might not be for you
>>
'Cause it's open source I imagine/hope things will improve.

>>2458181
On the GitHub group they were talking about compiling it for Linux.
>>
are the brushes vector only or bitmap too?
>>
>>2458225
You can have vector and raster "levels"
>>
basic stuff as far as i've worked out cos the manual is in moonrunes:

windows -> toolbar to bring up tools, right click, GUI Show/Hide -> tool option bar for size of brush

nothing is bound to keys, so you need to go to customize -> configure shortcuts and set up a button for playback and next/previous frame in 'playback options'. also set up one for brush and eraser in 'tools' while you're there.

[in cleanup at the top bar] expand the scene timeline, click the first cell in COL 1, draw your frame. Click the next cell down, draw your frame. To adjust timing, select them all and right click -> Reframe -> 1's/2's/3's/4's. You can drag the tab that appears at the bottom right of the cell to add or take away hold frames.
>>
>>2458362
Have you had any luck being able to export out anything?

I saved the level in a folder instead of a sandbox, but if i go to file -> convert file, no matter which option i pick, the okay button is always greyed out (and yes i put a folder, a name, and frame range).

also, if you use the "preview" button, it seems like theres no AA. while working inside of the program there is AA, but the preview button strips it for some reason. I guess you'll need to add a custom AA node in production somewhere?

Funny thing, if you open pallete, then right click -> new style, if you don't have any colors in the pallete already the program will crash.

Lastly, is there no timeline/layer view like in flash/toonboom/animestudio?

I haven't been able to find one yet.
>>
>>2457917

The brush is extremely laggy for me. I can barely draw anything because of it. It only processes my first or second stroke before ceasing to function.

Does anyone else have this problem on the mac version? I'm above min requirements, so I don't know what gives.
>>
>>2458199
>compiling it for Linux
Oh god yes my body is ready. I was afraid I would have to reboot into my godforsaken windows install.
>>
>>2450638
OpenToonz is BSD 3-clause
>>
>>2458195
Because making complex things simple is hard.

Most UIs etc are complex because the thing they let you do is inherently complex.

Making them simpler usually entails one of two things:

- make the UI dumber. You make the UI "appear" simpler by taking away options and hiding shit in drawers and other such elements. Newcomers will feel less overwhelmed, but you make doing more complex things harder.
- put a serious amount of effort into studying how users use your software, streamline the workflow, merge tools and options that can be merged, make certain options context-sensitive to avoid showing options when they are irrelevant, write very good documentation and make teaching videos (or hire people to do so), etc. This also typically means hiring some sort of UX/UI designer.

Obviously the latter option is a massive amount of work, most programmers or teams are neither up for the task nor have the money to hire help, or they don't care. Also, even if you do the latter option pretty well, usually it's much less effective than the former option in reducing visual clutter in the UI, and newcomers will still feel somewhat overwhelmed. Many programmers/teams realize that the former option is a bullshit thing to do though, so they just leave it as-is.

Sometimes something in the industry shifts so that something that was previously more complicated now becomes "simple" or "obvious", and that can really help. For instance sometimes things like the hamburger menu or pinch-to-zoom on mobile emerge, and everyone agrees on how it should work and that it's intuitive. Then we can use that to simplify the UI. But often it takes a shift in thinking (both on the side of the designer and the side of the users) or that the hardware evolves before we can get there.
>>
>>2458535
Also, as you get used to the program more you don't actually use the toolbar since dragging mouse over to click a tool is long and inefficient. When i work in toonboom, everything i use is a shortcut on a keyboard, my work would be 5x as long if i had to click every "tool".
>>
File: opentoonz_painting.png (130 KB, 1312x742) Image search: [Google]
opentoonz_painting.png
130 KB, 1312x742
>>
>>2449754
How is toonz compared to toonboom harmony?
>>
>>2458197
Why do the corporate software always has the worst looking UI? It's like they are trying to make it as unappealing as they possibly can so that when a supervisor/investor shows up they can say "we were so hard at work on functionality we couldn't do anything better then this 70' style UI". ffs people spend life looking at this.
>>
>>2458741
What do you think is a nice-looking UI? I don't think this is bad, the color is easy on the eyes and I haven't actually used it so I can't say for sure, but it looks like it's managed space well. Here >>2458632 you have a lot of tool options and easily visible and recognizable icons. The stuff at the right and bottom does look like it's taking up more space than it needs to, but maybe you can resize it like you can in most other art programs. As for people having to look at it, it's nice and simple, what do you even want?
>>
>>2458653
Harmony is superior, but toonz is better than flash for animating
>>
>>2458780
flash is the industry standard, noob
>>
>>2458788
It's not, toonboom is.
>>
>>2458810
kek, no it aint. only wannabes from canada use that shit. Flash is used by real professionals and from the company, Adobe, that makes THE standard in all related industries.

flash or go home to your mommy
>>
>>2458840
I don't understand the joke here
>>
>>2449896
in all likelihood it's not going to happen. it sounds like you're spending all your time making money to fund a studio that will probably never come to be.

what are your credentials? do you work in the industry? why should anyone come work for you? it doesn't sound like you're in the position to pay anyone's salaries and animation is a time intensive medium.

do you have a voice? do you have stories to tell? stories that other people would find interesting?

it sounds like you lack the contacts, technical ability and experience to start a studio. generally people who start studios are people who have been working in the industry for quite a long time.

i don't mean to discourage you but you need to be reasonable with your goals. if you want to create a studio work on first getting into the industry or building up the experience. maybe try to make shows.

there are people like craig mccracken and genndy tartakovsky who have been in the industry for decades and who are wildly successful who don't even have their own studios. why do you want to have a studio exactly? do you understand the reasons behind your desires? are those reasons valid? probably not to be frank
>>
>>2450981
this is some of the biggest bullshit i've read on this board.

first of all gobelins and cal arts grads are primarily 2d artists. secondly, gobelins accepts 25 people while cal arts 75 yearly. not all of those people even graduate, let alone the gobelins grads who will in all likelihood stay in europe.

so out of the maybe 60 annual cal arts grads, very few of them will be 3d animators.

3d animation is by far the most accessible way of entering the industry. online schools like ianimate and animschool provide incredibly good, industry level teaching that even gobelins and cal arts probably can't compete with.
>>
File: Flexible-UI.png (470 KB, 1440x809) Image search: [Google]
Flexible-UI.png
470 KB, 1440x809
Here is an example of decent UI(Blender).
It is highly configurable and has lots of cool widgets with tons of functionality that tend not to waste much space. They are also consistent within many contexts of program. Icons are readable. Did I mention it's the same for every OS it works on? I'm pretty surprised that no other free software tried stealing UI from it.

>>2458778
>the color is easy on the eyes
well no, there are lot of harsh contrasts in section dividers and text that hurt my eyes

>managed space well
Look at the toolbar in >>2458632: first sliders like 10px wide. A lot of precision, right? No space for it you might say. Well look a little bit to the right. What's this? Selective, Pencil, Pressure, instead of being clickable buttons, have checkboxes and waste 8px each.

I'm guessing font is just a placeholder(software being japanese and all) so I don't think I need to comment.

Icons aren't particularly readable nor consistent.

Well enough of all this negativity. I'm pretty sure this software is great.
Also I don't know how much it applies to Toonz, but from what I've seen it's pretty uninspired either.
>>
>>2458840

Flash is trash.
>>
>>2449896
You sound like one with the force. Add chi.ich on skype. I-if you want to tell more.
>>
>>2458451
Seems like tablets are not working very well with it right now. With mouse I have no lag problems when using brush. Also I watched a video of someone using opentoons on mac and it seemed to have more bugs than the windows version. Still unstable with the windows version.
Does anyone know if you can save your preferences and layout so that you don't need to setup everytime you open it up again?
>>
Jesus christ, all I wanted was a software where you just draw and have automated onion skinning, zero bullshit.

Can't even find where the pencil brush is in Toonz, what a bunch of shit.
>>
File: iwata and the bananas.jpg (66 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
iwata and the bananas.jpg
66 KB, 1280x720
>>2449754
I downloaded Toonz so I could show people my animations without having to tell them I pirated a bunch of software. After having it open for like 20 minutes, I just deleted it, too much of an annoying interface.

I'll just continue making animations in Flash and TVPaint since I know how to use them. But if anyone ask I'll say I animate with Toonz cause it's free. And probably no idiot is gonna know.

Secret safe ;)
>>
>>2460842
Check out Pencil2D, its basically MSpaint with Onion skins and frames.
it exports like absolute shit though and the site with all the informative discussion gives you 404 errors.
>>
>>2461118
>Pencil2d
Is it still alive? After the original site went down, I got TB studio

>exports like absolute shit
Maybe export the frames as image sequences and use Toonz, or Monkey jam, to time it out; and color.
>>
>>2449754
My pc can't even execute it.
>>
>>2450589
yes
>>
https://vimeo.com/160517233

useful to know
>>
>>2458953
I seriously considered stealing blenders UI for some of my software projects, but their UI is very integrated and not factored out into a library that would be easy to integrate and re-use in other software.

I'd give a lot to have it though, Adobes Adam/Eve library (what they use for Photoshop et al) doesn't feel nearly as nice, isn't hardware-accelerated and isn't as responsive as blenders, IMO.
>>
>>2462616
Huh? It is actually factored into a library and there are clones.

I still wouldn't touch that ass-backward library because they don't know about scene graphs so anything using it will turn into a giant hack or hack marathon soon.
>>
>>2462624
really? Got a link? Last time I looked, it was just a bunch of C files in the blender repo.

so is it an immediate-mode GUI rather than a retained-mode GUI? Blender has built a very complex, very smooth user experience with it, so I doubt it's as bad as you make it out to be.
>>
>>2462633
You are right, it's integrated.

oui-blendish is the clone: https://bitbucket.org/duangle/oui-blendish/overview
>>
>>2462633
>so is it an immediate-mode GUI rather than a retained-mode GUI? Blender has built a very complex, very smooth user experience with it, so I doubt it's as bad as you make it out to be.

The GUI has a very strict set of features, so it only looks complex. And it's very smooth compared to older times when GUIs used slow software rendering because it was always 3D accelerated and - in case of Linux - didn't have to fight as much with X11.

Well, the other thing in the free software/open source world is that I have never come across a well developed GUI which didn't have basic problems, so sticking with a basic immediate GUI that looks nice has its upsides. If you can deal with 3D APIs.
>>
>>2462988
Hm... well... I guess I'll give OUI a shot sometimes, maybe. I'll have to see how good its resizing, packing and layouting properties are.

>>2463037
There's Qt and QtQuick (hardware-accelerated) which are pretty great and basically have any feature you could want, but for some of my smaller projects or experiments, they just feel like overkill/too all-encompassing.

I can deal with 3D APIs just fine, but I did see that blenders UI used old immediate-mode GL, which is a bit of a turnoff (that means restrictions apply for using it on mobile/OSX/raspberry pi/intel+linux.) nanovg (what OUI, the blender-UI clone uses to render) does not have that issue, so that might be pretty great.
>>
>>2462988
Just gave oui/blendish a shot, and it looks convincing enough, but lacks some of my favourite features from the blender-UI:

- dragging across multiple sliders to set them all simultaneously
- sliders are also simultaneously text-inputs if you want to set a numerical value (at least I think that's missing, the demo doesn't let you do it... not 100% sure)
- applying the different UI themes/styles that come with blender

might still use it for some things, though, maybe some smaller tools, so thanks for pointing it out.

UI render times are like 1.5ms for a complex UI scene (demo-scene that shows off almost all of the widgets), so that's acceptable.
>>
>>2463101
also, couldn't figure out from a quick glance whether it is scalable (like blenders UI, which you can just scale up on hiDPI/retina displays) -- that's pretty important to me, at least.
>>
File: Reiji.png (108 KB, 448x720) Image search: [Google]
Reiji.png
108 KB, 448x720
>>2457919
thank you
>>
https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz/issues/108
Apparently a lot of features from Harlequin are missing for whatever reason, taken out pretty sloppily too.
I really hope once it stops crashing, the next thing of importance will be adding them back or reimplementing them.
>>2458500
Oh, by the way, they compiled it with Linux already. There are still major features missing and what they got crashes a lot.
>>
>>2458632
looking at this ... even Krita's animation tools and interface are preferable ...
>>
>>2466074
For what it's worth, apparently, UI too was messed with before open-sourcing it.
There's currently an issue at github about restoring saner layouts based on Harlequin ones. Apparently that's what it turns into then (note: not the last available version of layout changes).
Still, I wonder why the hell did they decide to gimp their own software before open-sourcing it. I doubt it will even last for long, people have reference as to how it was, anyway, and most of the stuff seems trivial to fix. It's only making the whole thing look like a mess at launch and slowing down their apparent plans of establishing a standard. Even if they wanted Harlequin to still be a superior choice so that people buy it, it isn't done by severing trivial convenience features, you should take out major "extra" stuff, stuff that's hard to make yet people could technically work without, but it's a lot more convenient with it. Or have they taken out something like that?
>>
>>2458741
As a person who uses almost only corporate software I can say shitty "fancy" UI's are usually terrible and slower than plain UI's that emphasize speed.
>>
>>2458953
>Here is an example of decent UI(Blender).
>Blender
>decent UI

What the fuck are you smoking

>I'm pretty surprised that no other free software tried stealing UI from it.

what the actual fuck are you smoking
>>
>>2467162
they're too poor to afford an actual good 3D program give them a break
>>
>>2467162
Sounds like you just looked at blender for a minute and then gave up. Its UI toolkit is definitely very very far up there. Widgets are compact, functional, allow you to navigate them quickly and manipulate them precisely, everything is stylable, scalable, etc.

Note that there is a difference between the structure of the UI (what button the application gives you, how things are ordered hierachically etc ) and the UI toolkit itself (the look & feel of UI elements like buttons).

Blenders UI toolkit easily beats maya, modo et al out of the water, by a long shot. Compare how fugly maya looks, for instance.

Blenders UX and structure of the UI is only so-so.
>>
>>2458199
>>2464816
I can't wait till all the kinks are worked out and compiled binaries are available in distro repos.
>>
>>2461065
Or just tell them you bought the software/someone gifted it to you.
>>
>>2449754
>they're making it open source because the software is shit and dated, and they're hoping to just get literally free development from the public
>people are falling for it hook line and sinker because muh ghibli
this is why everyone laughs at us
>>
>>2458934
Except in 2D you can just produce a meme cartoon that panders to tumblr sjws and rake it all in
>>
>>2467204
Is it really that easy to be rolling in shekels with 2D animation?
>>
>>2467207
Of course not. But in terms of producing your own IP instead of being just another 3D dreg slaving away at some massive project, 2D is the way to go
>>
>>2467207
Nothing's easy in animation, ever.

I imagine it's even worse now with the rise of the .webm format allowing people to bypass youtube hits and so on.
>>
>>2467187
that.
>Blenders UX and structure of the UI is only so-so.
The thing is: it's created by people who ate their own dog food. It's customisable to a greater extent if you can python. So, if you start a studio, you can easily change UX and UI structure to match your team's workflow (as long as you have at least one programmer on the team).
That's why it's so much better then any other graphics OSS. They weren't used in production environment, where time is money.

I wish Gimp developers were forced to use their own software in a studio for a year. Then maybe it would go through to them that filter can't take over half a minute to apply and that non-destructive editing is a must if you have to make a lot of corrections (you always have to).

>>2466087
>UI too was messed with before open-sourcing it
guessed as much
>if they wanted Harlequin to still be a superior choice[...], it isn't done by severing trivial convenience features
can't conclude reasons behind it, but if anyone wants to have a read there is a issue on github about UI: https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz/issues/108
>>
"Hello, thank you very much for comments.

I was in charge of development of Toonz Ghibli Edition.
OpenToonz is based on Toonz Ghibli Edition, which had been customized for production work in Studio Ghibli.
The customization was done on the basis of situations as follows:

Each production workflow ( ink&paint, color design and composition ) is done by different staff in individual division.
Animation was originally drawn on papers and converted to Toonz raster level in Toonz. (We did not draw vector-based animation, did not make cutout animation neither.)
Under the above situations, we decided to hide/remove some UI and functions from Toonz Harlequin in order to increase efficiency by limiting commands only related to each workflow.

Here are the examples:

1, We omitted a functions for create/delete rooms. Istead, we set ready-made room for each workflow which displays specialized menubar with necessary command set. (* For now, the specialized menubar is only available in Windows version.)

2, We removed buttons for moving across sub-xsheet hierarchy in the menubar. Because this UI is rarely used in ink&paint or color design work, and also because it was, in our thought, not so much inportant function as occupying large space in the menu bar area. Instead of it, a text "(Sub)" is displayed in the title bar of Xsheet panel for showing whether you are in sub or parent xsheet. Moving accross sub-xsheet is available with the cammands in context menu of Xsheet."
>>
>>2468298

"3, We removed "column keys"(keys displayed in xsheet columns) feature. Because setting the key on some xsheet cell causes setting keys for all of transformation parameters (n/s, e/w, scale etc.) of the column. Which was, in our thought, quite difficult to deal with. And also with this UI user may modify the positions of keys by mistake while placing levels in xsheet. So we decided to display all parameter keys only in the function editor panel.

4, Regarding the output port of stage schematic node, we did two changes for simplification:

Ports with letters (A,B,C...) means the amount of 8-inch-horizontal offset from the original position (with letter "B"). We removed this feature since it is less flexible than doing the same thing using pegbars.
Ports with numbers (1,2,3...) are for the Hook tool. We kept it alive, but very poorly... When you add a hook, new port will be added just below the original port with no number displayed. This is mainly because Ghibli did not use Hook tool in production and put less priority for modify it.
OpenToonz has some changes other than listed above and we suppose that "original" Toonz users may feel a confusion about it. Please let us mention again that such changes were done as the result of reflecting local inputs from Studio Ghibli and other Japanese animation productions.

For this reason, we think that just reverting the Harlequin's UI is not the best way at this time. If you would like to revert these UIs, we think there must be a option (in preferences) for adding them or not.
We sincerely appreciate your continuous support and advice for making the better software.

Anyway, I will try to revert create/delete rooms feature and will try to modify stage schematic port for Hook tool.

Thanks."

tool from ghibli that is tailored for their workflow only works for you if you use exactly same workflow ghibli uses (and have a programmer as support in your studio to enable/disable/fix functionality if needed). surprise?
>>
>>2460842
clip studio ex has a timeline with onion skins now
>>
>>2468301
no why would you be, it's not a magical fucking program, it doesn't do anything another program can't. There are no tricks around drawing frame by frame
>>
>>2468584

I do understand that, but it seems many other people (e.g. this thread) had some sort of idea that this would somehow allow them to do something they would not be able to do with krita animation/toonboom/flash/tvpaint/photoshop/etc.

In the end, it all boils down to skill and finding a workflow that works efficiently for you...
>>
>>2468584
As long as we don't see the program it could be anything from awesome to suck hard. And we don't know if there are any industry secrets.
>>
>>2470314
You do realize you can download and look at it right now though, right?
>>
>>2470338
You do realize I talked about the past before people could have a look at it, right?
>>
Finally got around to have a look.

enjoy your superior japanese comments

/* より大きな四角エリアにPixel整数値で密着する */

The program is fuckhuge.

- full 2d graphics program with brushes and filters
- animation
- version control integration (SVN)
- render farm
- basic scanner support
- probably basic sound support for playback(?)
- QT for UI

Not gonna waste my time building it, but this is delicious.
>>
I heard the interface is awful and there's no documentation.

Not that it matters; there are shitloads of animation programs out there.

>no excuse
animation is a fuckton of work
>>
File: superior.png (83 KB, 900x907) Image search: [Google]
superior.png
83 KB, 900x907
what did I just agree to
>>
>>2470517
the terms of use
>>
I don't get it, I downloaded it and I see nothing to draw, is this a drawing software or just a frame editor?

It looks just like a frame editor
>>
>>2470907
Ah I see now, you have to click InknPaint, then the menu changes to access the drawing tools and then the program crashes, this is going to be a wild ride boiz
>>
is it worth learning if i have no idea how to use any other animation software? or should i start with something "easier"? it piqued my interest since it's free
>>
>>2470942
If you want to make animations *exactly* the same way ghibli makes them (god knows what their workflow is, exactly), this is the ride for you.

In other words, no, stay away, there is nothing of value here...
>>
>>2470942
uhhmm... no
It's like a shot down military helicopter and you only want to get to the bakery across the street
>>
>>2458741

Imagine people have spent five to ten years working with something. Memorizing menus, shortcuts, everything. Hell, imagine two years if you want.

When you change the interface everyone has to relearn. At best assume an hour per person, to be very generous. Large companies may employ hundreds of people. That's hundreds of hours lost to relearn something in the best case, unrealistic scenario.

More likely people take days to weeks to figure things out, any in-house support is flooded with calls and tickets for that period, and crucial projects may be thrown off course.

So, no. Corporate programs probably shouldn't have their interfaces updated very often.
>>
>>2471053
not exactly, i just wanted to learn something that could be useful and last for a few years. i'd like to avoid soon to be dead software, because tutorials will follow sooner or later

>>2471121
more or less i get the picture lol
i'd like to do stuff that looks like mlp, ppg, gumball, etc and if the software is free, then even better. i could use trials and torrents if it's a paid soft, at least until i'm sure i like it
>>
>>2473362
I would agree to the point that it takes some time getting used to new software, but I think you miss a couple of points:
1) software built/customised in corporations is evolving all the time, so animators might be working on rolling release where changes are so minuscule that they either quickly adopt or ask for changing some things back to the way they were.

2) look and feel of UI isn't inseparable from general screen layout/workflow that is you can change underlying UI without changing (too much) layout or function

3) you overstate how much time people in corporate environment are given to get a handle on a software. I think no company can invest more than 1-2 weeks into adjustment period by which any employee (new or not) should be mostly productive.

So yup, still can't see a reason for keeping UNIX style UI.
>>
>>2466087
>>2458632
was it even made for drawing or just cleaning up and coloring scans?
>>
>>2474527
From the source code it looks like it has everything for drawing.
Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.