[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to beat Art block
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: 1454551604499.jpg (179 KB, 1080x810) Image search: [Google]
1454551604499.jpg
179 KB, 1080x810
When you find yourself in an art block, what exactly is happening?

Art block is a prolonged period in which the artist does not experience "flow" or the overcoming of a challenge within their expertise.

If a goal is set too high above our skill level, we frustrate and give up because it is too hard.
If a goal is set too low, or basically within our comfort zone, we become bored and cognizant that "I've done this shit a million times before."

Flow happens when we push ourselves just precisely outside of our comfort zone. Time slows, enjoyment is heightened, honestly if you've felt it before, you know what I'm talking about.

So what's a way to cultivate flow? Clearly setting the correct goals.
Compare yourself to:
Your personal best artwork
The best work in the field you are attempting, aka an artist you like to model yourself after.
And literally yourself, look at a picture of yourself.

The human mind doesn't function on modesty, saying you are terrible might win you points in humility, but we are here to be a better artist.

Look at your best artwork, say to yourself, "I am a better artist than this" Then proceed to repeat this to yourself as you copy the artwork.
Repeat for an artwork of an artist you would like to emulate.
Finally, draw a self portrait, saying "I am better than this faggot." until you finish.

I was surprised with the results, especially after the last step. The glass shatters, and you realize a lot of things.

Let me know if anyone is willing to try this and if you muster some results.
>>
>>2446427
Brah, Sherlock Holmes took drugs, they can't be so bad
>>
thank you for the tip
>>
>>2446702

Brah, Sherlock Holmes is fucking fictional.
>>
>>2449697
no hes not
>>
File: 1455661013728.jpg (1 MB, 1578x1100) Image search: [Google]
1455661013728.jpg
1 MB, 1578x1100
Going outside often also works wonders.

Also if you get a chance, try starting a new piece while camping, even just the rough of it.
Set some small goals to achieve in brief time slots, and try to work with auditory cues while out in nature.

That seems to work wonders for getting into "flow". I can play music for a couple of seconds when I get back home now, and any block I had seems to just go away entirely.

I did this for maybe 2 or 3 periods of 30 minutes each day while up in a forest.
Just make sure you aren't under a tree that drops all of its bark on your paper.
>>
File: ywn.jpg (242 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
ywn.jpg
242 KB, 800x600
>>2446427
Everyone gets art block, humans aren't made to do the same thing day in day out, especially if that's scratching away on a tablet and tying all their self worth to the scribbles they make.

Shaking things up is a good way to get out of it though. Go for a walk, do something new, watch a film or whatever, just take time away to recharge.
>>
Cardio will usually clear up any sort of hormonal imbalance that's fucking with your state of mind. Start doing the couch to 5k or whatever thing it's called. Lifting is good too, if only so that you don't look pathetic. It's easy anyways, as long as you learn proper form and you learn how to not hurt yourself doing it.

Anyways, healthy body healthy mind. Running is great for self-discipline too because you'll constantly feel fucking awful and want to stop. Helps you get comfortable with discomfort.
>>
>>2449697
Clearly you haven't taken enough drugs
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.