[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bad luck artists?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8
File: Sunset on the beach.jpg (1 MB, 1388x916) Image search: [Google]
Sunset on the beach.jpg
1 MB, 1388x916
This artist called 'Pegasplus' had not much luck during his 8 years career, he sold only one painting. one painting in 8 YEARS. he had no job, only tried to become an Artist.
crazy ass.
>>
well, I really like that paint
>>
>>2443607
How delusional are you? Thats a terrible painting and if he got that far after 8+ years he's either mentally challenged or he paints once a year, both of which explains why he's unsuccessful.
You're worse than people who believe in talent.
>>
it's hard to judge an artist based on one painting, I think this one is very nice, except for that yellow on top of the waves, it really really bothers me.
>>
File: ship.jpg (1 MB, 1016x1341) Image search: [Google]
ship.jpg
1 MB, 1016x1341
Hes a seascape painter, here is one of his other paintings (from the web)
>>
>>2443682
It's really appealing to me, some folks just judge and then they happen to idolize Piet Mondrian, Rosenberg or some shit like that.
>>
>>2443607
I doubt luck matter that much in his case. He willingly did what he loved instead of bending to what market wants (flowers and shit) or failed to promote himself properly.
>>
>>2443715
I thought seascapes likes this where pretty generic run of the mill normies will put this on their walls kind of shit

If it's this good it should sell. He probably just doesn't know how to promote himself
>>
>>2443682
Honestly he should be able to sell these at fairs and things like that. Make some cheap canvas prints of these and mass-produce them. If Kinkade can be one of the most successful artists of all time so can this guy.
>>
>>2443607
Seriously? The only thing that appears on google images when you look up his name is some airline called Pegasus Plus, he has like TEN works in total, no followers whatsoever and I found a deviantart (3,000 page views in 2 years), an art station (146 profile views) and a facebook page (22 likes).

This nigga's invisible and his failure is 100% down to not knowing how to market himself. If he's this bad online, he's probably equally bad promoting himself irl.
>>
>>2443607
Those smaller pebbles are horrible, too much contrast/opaque darks, and they have huge ass reflections for what is just a humid sand surface

Clouds are way too samey, I have a hard time seeing them all neatly arranged at that 45° angle, they also look too transparent - I don't think clouds this transparent exist

The big rock on the left has a pretty bad texture for being in the foreground, it almost feels like the mountains in the backgrounds have more detailed texture (mostly because it looks more correct)

Looks like this guy knows how to paint well but he just rushed this one... which is hilarious going by your story that he only sold one painting in 8 years. He could have taken his time.
>>
Interesting...
>>
It isn't bad luck. This looks halfway like a Disney movie. If this is the only art you see then you might think it looks okay but not juxtaposed to a professional's art.
>>
>>2443607
Maybe he should've drawn more anime girls.
>>
>>2443682
To me it looks like a discount Aivazovsky. I'm sure normies wouldn't see the difference. It's obvious he sucks at advertising himself.
>>
File: sea_1953.jpg (99 KB, 1100x756) Image search: [Google]
sea_1953.jpg
99 KB, 1100x756
Maybe no one bought his paintings because he's just a terrible Ivan Aivazovsky copy.
>>
>>2444387
>>2444389

Aivazovsky-mind
>>
Nah its easy to say, but there's no a self-promoting structure. alot of artists are invisible. cuz no one knows how to market himself/herself.
>>
>Sold only one painting in his lifetime for 400 Francs (equal to about $1,000-1,050 today)
>A painting of his sold for $82.5 million 100 years after his death
>Most famous painting "Starry Night" was the view from his room at an insane asylum
>Year before his death "had fits of despair and hallucination during which he could not work"
>Killed himself
>>
>>2444741
> there's no a self-promoting structure.

This is where everyone falls flat. There is no step-by-step instructions on how to make the connections you need to make your goals fulfilled.

You just need to try and refine different things, and be ready to fail time and time again.
>>
>>2443682
>>2443607
this water is unnerving
>>
>>2444747
This why Vincent is my favorite artist. i dont see at him as at inspiration in style and technic but i just adore his weird and horrible life and what happened after it.
He was so alone and his drawings were so shitty so nobody ever wanted them.
>>
>>2444747
OH SHIT SO THATS WHY HE WOULD STIPPLE PAINT. so the stuff facing the viewer that would've been the straight lines up and down if he had hatched it, or the flattest plane depending on the angle, he would stipple paint and build it up. dude. that makes way more sense now. i always assumed it was just muh style but there was actually a reason he would do that. van gogh is literally the greatest.
>>
>>2444914
this makes me want to do another self portrait maybe thats what ill do today
>>
>>2444747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASKWIUqUscA&index=1&list=PLctgPm-taRR9RJ73uz3Hy3PyRBo6Bxsm-

Did he suffer from schizophrenia in his later life?
If so it would explain why he killed himself, for as you said, he could not do the thing he loved.
>>
>>2443607
>>2443682
>>2443727
His paintings are too bright and kinda tacky for today's minimalist house decor.

If he really wanted to sell paintings he would've studied interior design trends while adapting his paintings to them, so he could appeal to a larger audience.

>>2443715
>He willingly did what he loved instead of bending to what market wants (flowers and shit)
If he is a full time artist, he can do both easily.

Appealling to the masses can help an artist reach a nice loyal customer base and when you reach this point, you don't need to be a sell-out anymore.

>sell popular shit, like monochromatic landscapes, flowers, animals or even 4deep8u abstracts
>work on shit you really like on the side
>make sure people can see both the popular stuff and original works
>the broad appeal will bring people that might end up buying your original works instead of the popular stuff

wa la, success.
>>
>>2444932

it's voilà you retard
>>
>>2444932
wa la? Seriously? American neckbeard confirmed.
>>
>>2443638
I highly doubt you could paint anything close to that.
>>
>>2445142
>>2445067
can't tell if actually took bait or just iRoni
>>
>>2444752
Exactly. He clearly sucks at promoting himself. Even his type of art screams of this.
>>
>>2444914

I don't get it
>>
>>2444747

Reminder that there will be a documentary this year about Gogh's life animated entirely in oil paintings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47h6pQ6StCk
>>
What you mean? "his type of art screams of this"?
>>
eerer
>>
lol wut?
>>
File: pegas-plus-jungle-waterfalls.jpg (714 KB, 1571x1122) Image search: [Google]
pegas-plus-jungle-waterfalls.jpg
714 KB, 1571x1122
1-2 fancy techniques, no brush skills, no basics, not a lot of drawing going on. Dunno what he expects if more than 80% of the painting looks like a turd. His artstation stuff is just as bad.

And yeah, it is also rushed. 1h rushing, 2 weeks despair? Is that the schedule here?

Even normies can see he sucks, because their own attempts were just as bad.
>>
tl;dr chicken scratching, the painting
>>
>>2443638
work
>>
>>2448177
>1h rushing, 2 weeks despair? Is that the schedule here?
Oh god, you just hit me where it hurts.
>>
4chan is a cocksucker spamshit, so I can't post a link to his online interview.

"I paint with oils only, theres something magical about it."

Yet all the paintings look like crayons or dry gouache techniques. Wtf. This guy is using oils only because it gives him a boner, not because of their special properties in the result.

"Selftaught mostly."

Sure, more like bullshitted your way through.

Where does your motivation come from?: "From love, from fire, from pain."

More like grand delusions, mental masturbation, the voice in the back of his head he ignores telling him he sucks.

Thanks OP, this was helpful. It's nice knowing that there are people who are more retarded than me.
>>
>>2448181
I would but you know what happens to people who do that here. /ic/ standards are honestly at an all time low.
>>
Im sure you can do better than him. wanna show us ur skills?
>>
>>2448246
0/10 post.
>>
File: nick-drake-julian-lloyd.jpg (229 KB, 1129x766) Image search: [Google]
nick-drake-julian-lloyd.jpg
229 KB, 1129x766
>>2444747
Why do the best artists die broke and alone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPbWMvQwroo
>>
so hes 'more retarded than you' just because he has his own painting style?
>>
>>2448622
>>2448739
>>2448181
>>2445887
>>2445150
>>2444368
>>2443607
Stop being in denial and realize someone probably wasted 8 years of their life.

If you are Pegasplus - sticky and beginner thread.
>>
>>2449447

Pegasplus are you here?
>>
>>2445783
holy fucking shit that looks awesome
>>
>>2448646
masterpiece album
>>
>>2445783
Honestly, a lot of the scenes end up just looking exactly like the camera shots they were painted over instead of an actual painting. It kind of defeats the purpose of doing the painting, which is disapopinting. Still a really cool concept though, and will probably still be really cool to watch.
>>
File: 1457717913501.jpg (310 KB, 678x957) Image search: [Google]
1457717913501.jpg
310 KB, 678x957
>>2448177
this sucks major dick
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.