[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post art from artists who started later in life (25+)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6
File: 29234_PE116289_S5.jpg (468 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
29234_PE116289_S5.jpg
468 KB, 2000x2000
Post art from artists who started later in life (25+)
>>
>>
http://firez-da.deviantart.com/gallery/

27 or 28 iirc
>>
>>2441255

It doesnt really matter on how late you start but how many hours you spend and how you spend them
>>
>started later in life (25+)
lol

why don't you post some stuff by OAPs
>>
>>2441255

started at 24, pretty depressing how long it takes to put in that 10,000 hours or so they say it takes to master things. I have to track my time at work and if I were able to put as many hours into drawing as I do working geez I'd be good. Being a wage slave sucks, senpai. You don't realize how constraining working life is until you actually get there. You think it will be easy to write your novel, learn to draw, etc. in your free time after work and the weekends but it's rough. It's really rough. Especially when you are tired after and have errands to run, and working seems to suck out your motivation to do anything productive for yourself after, probably intentionally.
>>
>>2441306
It's depressing to see 15 year olds that can outperform you... UGH
>>
>>2441306

Have you already abandoned all vidya and social life?
I did and I find myself easily with 6 hours of free time
My daily life
7:00 wake up, get out of work at 16:00 and at 20:00 at its worst
Until 00:00 I have free time which I generally fill with drawing
>>
>>2441306
I started a bit before. At 21. Went to art school...and suddenly at 26 i woke up realizing that i just wasted my time. Part of it is because i actually didn't know better, part or it was convenience or lazyness. I don't know.
But realizing that i was on my own now...was what i actually needed to kick my ass and start learning.

I finally got serious, and started to learn as hard as i could. Managing work and learning is hard. But i'm slowly starting to see results now. I will be 30 this next week. And one of my goal was to live from only art by that time. It's not quite there yet, but i starting to get more and more people hiring me for freelance... And i'm not talking about 400 for 21 one picture freelance. I'm talking 1000 for one week of work freelance. So it's definitely possible.

>>2441352
I don't know about him. But I've found that having free time and the energy to actually do something about it are not the same thing.

Most people will think that having a physically hard working job is the worst.

But for me it was rather when i had to be social or when i had to work hard mentally that i didn't have any energy left at the end of the day.

Having no work at all was the worst because then anxiety kicked in and that is the worst. You get tired just from being worried.

The best jobs if you are as introverted as i am, are socially and mentally boring jobs. If you find a job like night watch in a parking lot, or in a hotel etc....these are great. You can even draw a bit on the job and nobody cares.
>>
>>2441412
I hear so many conflicted opinions about art school on this board, half say it's useless and the other half say it's great. So you didn't improve much from 21- 26 even though you went to art school? Why??
>>
>>2441412

>Most people will think that having a physically hard working job is the worst.
It is dude, history has proven this
I dont know what you call physically hard, but for me it is to have irregular working time (you must be up to work 24 hours) and the worst of it is that the payment is shit

>night watch in a parking lot, or in a hotel
>can hold a living
Woah, these job in my country are only occupied by retired people
Muricans are so lucky
>>
>>2441434
well the school did have life drawing, so i did improve a bit. But i think it has more to do with personal drive then anything.
My school wasn't a school with teacher that actually knew how to draw. So they didn't have much to teach.
But still it's not what made me not get good. It's not actually drawing that is the problem. Not other people teaching you stuff or not.

So really it's up to the person.
I strived once i was on my own. Having to get up and go to school doing assignments i didn't want to do, was what made me half ass everything and not do work for myself. Once i could decide what i wanted to learn was when i finally actually found some kind of improvements in my art.

Every person has it's own personnality. If you know yourself. Then find out what you need to get to draw and that's what you need to do.
>>
>>2441434

Only people in denial defend art schools
Mainly because they are still on it
>>
Trucker here,
I'm interested in taking up drawing and such, but I'm not sure just how good I could get being older and colorblind. My drawing hand is a little banged up so I don't know how well I could draw for hours on end, but I think it'd be alright. Currently researching portable tablets with stylus and digitizers but I'm having difficulty finding a decent resource online.
>>
>>2441449
not murrican and yeah...living with 400 euros a month isn't easy. But still better then not getting to do art.

I worked on constructions sites, mainly when they were done. Like cleaning up the place afterwards. drink delivery services where you must be there at 7h and often get out at 9h at night. and of course all those chains work, where you do the same movement on and on and on. These are taxing you're right. What i'm saying is that the other works were worse because i also had to be social. Which drains my energy to zero....for some reason.
>>
>>2441455
You don't need to work with color if you're color blind. You can make amazing things in black and white.
>>
>>2441462
I was kinda looking into digital art for the purpose of 'cheating' my disability. I know there are programs out there that keep track of the colors used, so I could close to the colors things should be in a particular light, and have them saved in a way that I could come back to them when I need them. I don't plan on making contemporary art, so I imagine it might look childish to a normal set of eyes, but it'd probably look decent enough to me.
>>
If you're 25+ and doesn't have a trait you're good at yet, what the hell have you done in your life?? Honest question.
>>
>>2441480
play vidya
>>
>>2441480
retail
>literally living the way lonelyisland describes
>>
>>2441480
jerking off while high
>>
I'd say 25 is the absolute latest you can start on anything and still have time to make a career out of it.
>>
>>2443175
#hope
>>
File: monet_3301918b.jpg (76 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
monet_3301918b.jpg
76 KB, 620x387
>>2441255
Monet started around 30

Op, cheer up you asshole.
get to work nothing we post can do that for you.
you've got to put in the work
>>
https://vimeo.com/84022735
davinci was a loser until pretty late in life
>>
File: van.jpg (58 KB, 932x687) Image search: [Google]
van.jpg
58 KB, 932x687
>>2441255
>>
Phew as an intermediate-level 20 yo that thought I may be too late.
>>
Is there even point if you haven't realized that drawing is your passion since childhood? I mean if you decide to draw in your late teens that's just a hobby. The vast majority of great artists started from childhood and honed their skill a full decade at 20ies, there is no way 20 yo guy who decides that he loves art can catch up.
>>
As a 26 yo beginner, fuck this thread.
It's not like I don't have a skill, I just don't like it and don't want a career in it anymore (programming)
>>
>>2441480
Believing that college would fix all my problems.
>>
>>2443434
The vast majority of great artists did not have internet
>>
>>2441255
What's even the ideal age to start? 18? 17? From the womb?

I'm 20 years old, is that considered late?

Does age even matter?
>>
>>2443466
People here wine about kids outperfoming them because the said kids have access to internet and have a soul in drawing. If you're an empty man to begin with internet will be just an escape, if you have something to hold on then you'll find community and opportunity.
>>
>>2443500
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-Ih9TbADs
>>
>>2443444
26 year old is right on the good age. Mature enough to actually focus on your goals. Go for it. Those young-lings won't even know what hit them when you're better then them in half the time it takes them to get there.

Beginning older has it's advantages, especially if are financially secure, because focus comes with maturity.
>>
File: mr-miyagi-smiling.jpg (92 KB, 640x348) Image search: [Google]
mr-miyagi-smiling.jpg
92 KB, 640x348
>>2443487

The best time to plant a tree was ten years ago. The next best time is now.
>>
>>2443444
While your attitude frightens me, I do admire your dedication to a craft for the sole purpose of enjoying it, while also knowing what you wish to pursue in life. Especially the fact that you seem very confident in yourself.
>>
>>2444006
I shall live by this advice. Thank you.
>>
i heard milt kahl started later as well. vaguely recall hearing he was in the army and then was a professional racer before getting into animation
>>
File: monet_mon.jpg (111 KB, 504x800) Image search: [Google]
monet_mon.jpg
111 KB, 504x800
>>2443198
He's been drawing and selling great caricatures since he was 11 though. Monet started PAINTING in late life, which is easy when you've been drawing from the early one.
>>
>>2441449
>but for me it is to have irregular working time
this, so much fucking this,

if you have a monotonous work, regardless if it's mentally or/and physically hard, it's easy to tailor a program for you with some time for uninterrupted drawing. but when you have to count every single day how much time and from when to when you are going to sleep, work, eat, do your tualete, again, every single day, and on top of that, be prepared at all the time to be interrupted, it gives you the bad habit of not being able to spend more than 20 min drawing since that's what you are used to
>>
>>2441480
>>2443445
believing that school will give me a trait to be good at
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.