[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Contemporary Surrealism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: Hydrangea_Morris_2016.jpg (355 KB, 1000x1346) Image search: [Google]
Hydrangea_Morris_2016.jpg
355 KB, 1000x1346
Thoughts? I appreciate honest feedback. For more of this stuff, check out www.ryanlloydmorris.com
>>
>>2437759
Technically it's pretty good, looks like something painted back before our time (I don't know my eras, sue me) but I feel like the piece overall is kind of weak.

You could push the surrealism a lot farther, especially with the face, right now it's not very surreal to me more like a lady with stuff on her wearing a mask. Kinda boring. Push it farther!

I say study fabric a little bit more too because some of the shading looks a little weird, like i can't place what sort of fabric it might be. Right now it looks like the really think crimpy stuff that I had a skirt made out of when I was five (definitely not the look you're going for).
>>
>>2437759
Btw unless someone asks, assume no one gives a shit about seeing more on here, you're coming off as pretty cocky right now.
>>
File: 1011151341b.jpg (756 KB, 2240x1344) Image search: [Google]
1011151341b.jpg
756 KB, 2240x1344
Thanks bunches. I agree with the fabric comment. I paint mostly from memory and with no reference images. But I can assure you I'm anything but cocky lol. I just really wanted honest feedback from strangers to help me see my work more objectively. Thanks again.
>>
>>2437759
If it had a cute face, I'd wan't to stick my wiener in it.
>>
>>2438306
Use a reference then, don't trust your memory. It takes a lot of repetition to commit something to memory.
>>
I think this would be a lot more powerful without the mask / weird thing on her face. It makes her feel not human, which detracts from the effect of the insects crawling on her which I believe would be more unsettling if you could see her face.

I feel most of these paintings are overdoing the "surreal" aspect without actually being surreal enough to be good surrealism so to speak.
>>
i like the op so i followed link. glanced at the first page and like it then i realized you use the fucking tryphobia bubble eyes and stretchy scar face thing for fucking everything. try doing different stuff
>>
>>2441391
This
>>
>>2441391
Well, the distorted/ abstracted features are a symbolic theme that I use throughout my work for a few different reasons. It first started as a way to reflect how western religious art has misrepresented and distorted the source materials. (White jesus and mary, cute angles with wings and shit...etc) I use a lot of Virgin Mary iconography and have even made a few bronzes of disfigured Christ and Mary. It's just a part of my overarching theme and philosophy. I suppose I should articulate that better in my artist statement on the site. Disfigurement is now just a staple of what I do and crosses over into other thematic endeavors. For peace of mind, I will let you know that I do paint regular human faces on before fucking them up. I use the face as a guideline and to be honest, it is a very pleasurable experience painting over something and making it horrifying. As far as trypophobia goes, I use it just to fuck with people who complain about that shit. Thanks for the feedback. @morrisart on instagram.
>>
>>2442227
While that is all good and well surrealism doesn't represent anything nor does it have intentional symbolic themes. This is not surrealism.
>>
I like your overall composition and theme except for the tree that barely touches her side part, I think it could use more overlap.

I didnt like the strong blue in the sky, the image feels like is supposed to be creepy, wierd and the blue sky feels out of place.

I didnt like the rendering of the fabric and the anatomy, the tummy feels really weird to me.

I think it's fine to paint from imagination, but the fabric for example seems like you didnt fully understands how it works.

Overall I liked it but it could definetly Improve
>>
File: Massondanslatourdusommeil.png (871 KB, 721x582) Image search: [Google]
Massondanslatourdusommeil.png
871 KB, 721x582
>>2437759
>>2442227
This is no surrealism. This is painting from fantasies.
Surrealism do not exist anymore.
>>2442272
One thing about surrealism was that the sign preceeded the signification.
Also, the painters were crazy fucks. You're not giving an image of a crazy fuck. Not to mention that you do not seems to be any kind of educated nor on symbols , nor on the reason of their using, nor on how you use them.

by the way, go check beinart for more of your kind of stuff, John Coulthart did a good job of puting them together. I like that place.
>>
>>2442653
I'm well aware of Beinart. Been aware since 2006. The artists on that site are what drove me to become a surrealist painter. Beinart is a surrealist art collective. There is a huge difference between Classical Surrealism (Magritte, Man Ray, Breton) and contemporary/lowbrow/pop surrealism/ ( Mark Ryden, Chet Zar, Buddy Nestor) Today, "surreal" is a very general, umbrella term which a lot of artists fall under. If it's weird, eerie, or unconventional in any way, then it can be termed Surreal. I'm actually a bit surprised to see how many people disagree on what is or isn't surrealism in an art forum. I do appreciate the dialogue and everyones comments have opened my mind a bit about how I see my work. I do agree that I have a lot of improving to do and I can see how my work can be misinterpreted. Anyways...it's been a nice thread.
>>
>>2442280
Thank you, that is wonderful feedback. I agree on just about everything you mentioned.
>>
>>2437759
it creeped me out before anything. immediately close the window in less than 0.5 seconds... I don't feel very comfortable looking at it. I'm OK with gore/creepy stuffs, but only they have something feature that is enticing enough?

I have no idea what you're doing with the theme. what's with the background? I feel like you're just going a old style. the weird mask? the moths? the scar? I can't read it really well. But even before that, maybe it's the fact that I couldn't perceive an unity between these elements that drives me insane. The character just looks like a generic Japanese horror film ghost.

As for cont. surr., I love it. I love Magritte's stuffs. They have a weird vibe but they evoke a message at least. And he is one of my fav modern artists. But this painting...? other than making me feel out of place I just get the feeling that the author only has a weird, wacky fetish.

Technically?
the fabrics/folds look like black trash bag. the trees...? cabbage leaves. body, moths and flowers look OK.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.