[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Industrial Design sketching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
How do you learn how to do these typical ID sketches with 0 drawing skills?

I am asking because here people seem to be focused on drawing in general and especially on people. But for ID I wouldn't need that. The focus is on geometric shapes and quick drawings with simple shadows and low detail. Pretty much the opposite of what I see people here aspiring to do.

So: how do I start as someone who can't draw straight lines and only shapes from isometric perspective? Is there one book that starts from level 0, expecting no previous drawing skills?

If you study/ied ID: how did you start?
>>
File: __.jpg (39 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
__.jpg
39 KB, 800x600
Start by drawing simple shapes like cubes, cones and spheres. Working from life would be best. You can make these shapes out of wood, use common objects, or purchasing them (most toy stores would have basic shape blocks for little kiddies you can use).

Don't be afraid to use a straight edge ruler, a compass, or a french curve (a curved flat tool to use as a guide to draw curved lines) to make your marks since these are supposed to be technical drawings.
>>
File: bd_red_1024x1024.jpg (51 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
bd_red_1024x1024.jpg
51 KB, 1024x768
Eventually when you become confident with basic shapes, you can graduate to doing studies of everyday mechanical objects around your house.
>>
>>2432465
How exactly do you do studies? Just trying to draw what you see right away or try to construct it out of shapes?
>>
>>2432492
I would really like to know this as well
>>
>>2432492
Construct it. Use perspective lines, cilinders, etc.
>>
>>2432453
Just draw boxes, senpai.
>>
>>2432492
Understand the object as 3D form. Not contour, lighting etc, but it's "mesh". Never draw an object from the same angle you see it. Draw it in a 3/4 view. Draw the same object from different angle. Before that understand perspective. Most people hate perspective, but then again most people are shit. Get "How to draw" by S. Robertson. It has all the info on one place.
>>
Scott Robertson made me feel confident at producing ID drawings. And having fun with surfaces and planes.
Although I initially just wanted to learn figure drawings but ic insisted on it as a good book to learn construction. It's tedious at the beginning but if you can get into mech like I did you'll be in for a fun ride.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.