[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What name do you post your art under and how did you choose it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 2deep.jpg (61 KB, 750x563) Image search: [Google]
2deep.jpg
61 KB, 750x563
What name do you post your art under and how did you choose it?
It seems like every name I like is already taken on deviantart and tumblr. I need an original name, but I want it to be simple and memorable.
>>
File: marve_pds_009_h.0.0.jpg (54 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
marve_pds_009_h.0.0.jpg
54 KB, 1280x720
>>
Also, do you think it looks less respectable if an artist uses dashes, hyphens, x's or numbers at the end of their name?
>>
>>2431740
I don't know. I was one day minding my own business when I just wrote something aside a sketch. Looked like a signature, sounded good as a name and I kept it.

I actually post under 3 nicknames. Not here, certainly.

>>2431750
Yeah.
>>
I just use my first name, but since it comes from a roman name I use the older version.
>>
>>2431740
>>
i keyboard smashed when i was younger to come up for a name for some online game. Switched around a few letters to make its pronounceable. been using it since then.

honestly i like the names that arent real words. makes it stick out more and seems more original. maybe im just biased.
>>
There is no reason to use an alternative handle unless your name is incredibly hard to spell and/or remember.
>>
>>2432151
Yeah, but on the other hand if your name is simple like James Smith it's harder for people to find your work because there's a fuck ton of James Smiths in the world, that's why it's good to have a unique name that only you use, so if someone were to type your unique name into google the first thing to pop up would be your blogs and links to your art.

Also while I'm on the topic of being easy to find.
Don't put your fancy signature on your art unless it's easy to read, people aren't going to be able to find more of your art if they can even search your name, Yes I know they could do a reverse image search, but not everyone knows how to do that. Also I'm not saying to never sigh your work with a signature, because if you have fans they're going to want your signature, I'm just saying it not ideal for people who are trying to find your work on the internet.
>>
>>2432151
You need a handle for deviantart/tumblr/instagram where your real name is most likely already taken
>>
>>2431740
I post my art under Nosebro because one guy named me.
>>
>>2432151

If your name is John Smith or you share it with a far more famous artist, that right there is a reason to use a handle. If someone types "[your name] art." and you're not the first few results that's already a pain in the ass.

Or if you draw smut.

Or if your name is taken.
>>
>>2432151
What if my full first and last name is a total of 7 syllables?

Doesn't really roll off the tongue like other names
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.