[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dear art guys, I've recentely started studying urban spaces
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (53 KB, 564x823) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53 KB, 564x823
Dear art guys, I've recentely started studying urban spaces and mobility, and would like dearly to sketch them, crudely, for further reference for my studies. I wanted to do really simple stuff, with just a pencil and paper, really.

Is there any beginner's tip, or do I just try to do it until I get good? Also, any tips for general improvement or whatnot are mostly welcome.

Thanks a lot.

ps: pic unrelated.
>>
Study perspective and how basic shapes work with perspective and that will get you 80% of the way there.

Check out Perspective Made Easy for a good intro to it. I don't know about books more specifically tailored to your goals but I'm sure they exist.
>>
Like >>2429939 said, Perspective made easy is very good, important to learn especially for drawing buildings n shit and easy to digest.

But here are 2 good books on top of that 4 u my nigger. The first one is an introduction to drawing with the urban sketching as the main subject. The second one is more of a collection of urban sketches from a bunch of different artists. It's good to learn from the pieces of other artists.

Pencil sketching:
https://mega.nz/#!TopCTLbb!hxbeiZryLAkkGAx226V4GwtavEAzPH8Lcpeb56ZOhvA

The Art of Urban Sketching:
https://mega.nz/#!78p3WT5a!bQrT57zVLAuJn8ndgtqimuqC7YpnUtyP43YeO65wi10
>>
>>2430006
>The Art of Urban Sketching
This is my favorite art book.
It's pretty useless for a beginner to learn how to draw, but it has great tips on how to draw urban spaces.
Great information on materials, which can be very useful to beginner urban sketchers.
>>
OP here.
I can't thank you guys enough!
>>
>>2430124
You could also take a look at the Urban Sketchers organisation, active in a lot of places.
There are architects and such that also participate in that.
>>
I just had this random question: how will I know if I'm drawing things right, with perspective and stuff?

Like, as I do it, how will I know of it's good or not?
>>
>>2430279
Perspective is like a mathematical system. You can often easily confirm if your drawing is correct by plotting lines to the VPs. Other than check if lines are clean and straight, and that ellipses are the correct angle/degree (scotty has some information on this). When you make a clean drawing which also looks good you can post it in the beginner thread for crit.
>>
>>2430361
Got it.

But, if I draw what I see, and keep doing that, will I get better or just make the same mistakes again?
>>
>>2430496
After a while you'll probably just move past those mistakes, but it's better to read some books about perspective and get some critique once in a while. Part of the fun of art is also showing other people your creations.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.