[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm a industrial design student and I'm having a tough
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: TERM_201.jpg (202 KB, 1005x1005) Image search: [Google]
TERM_201.jpg
202 KB, 1005x1005
I'm a industrial design student and I'm having a tough time with the aesthetic part of the profession.

My approach to product design is mostly needs-oriented, and my creativity comes from finding solutions to problems. However, in order to land a nice job I will need a portfolio, and employers give a huge importance to sketching skills and the WOW factor.

My skills are passable. I know my perspective and can depict complex forms like the ones you learn to do in S. Robertson's How to Draw or construct the human figure from reference like in Figure Drawing Design and Invention.

My problem lies in coming up with appealing forms, proportions and other aesthetic elements in the things I design. Seriously, it's like I'm missing the understanding of why things look interesting to the public. I can differentiate good and bad aesthetic design but when I try to come up with my own aesthetic solutions, everything I do is either derivative (a blatant copy) of some other work or super bland.

I did J. Park's Foundation first and second terms, pic related, in order to go over this hurdle but there's no theory behid it, just the guy showcasing his ideation skills by drawing warriors and tanks that look cool.

Any help with this? Do you know of any resources that teach this kind of thing?
>>
maybe learning graphic design would help?
>>
File: flat,800x800,075,f.jpg (94 KB, 800x682) Image search: [Google]
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg
94 KB, 800x682
>>2429230

I don't think that getting into a different field of work would help me with this.
>>
Bump, people.

I need some help
>>
>>2429209
look at unconventional things like 3D graffiti and the curves that exist in tattoo script. Look at different periods of art, like Biomorphism in architecture and art nouveau. Look at nature. just break everything down into shapes like on an abstract level and build it back up again.
>>
>>2431124
and don't just suck on that teet that is art centers breast :P a lot of people that come out of there look the same, use the same techniques, study the same people, etc.
>>
>>2431128

Don't you think that's because it's what employers look for?

It's a real question.
>>
>>2431362
Don't you think an AD would get sick of seeing the same stuff over and over?
>>
here are some basic sketches I did a while ago, all I can suggest is to draw thumbnails in mass quantity shooting for more of a cool factor than questioning why shapes are fundamentally appealing to people. Flesh out the ones you like more
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.