[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is drawing a good hobby for the morbidly obese? I volunteer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5
Is drawing a good hobby for the morbidly obese?

I volunteer with a service that sends people out for a cup of tea and to just have a chat with people who can't leave their homes and never have human interaction, mostly just sad old people who never got married and don't have kids and all their friends are dead, but last month I got assigned to a 600-ish pound guy. He's pretty good but the thing is he can't use his arm to draw so everything he does is with his wrist and he loses his breath and has to have oxygen if he exerts himself that much. Last week I was afraid I accidentally was going to kill him after I suggested it.

Is it worth trying to get him to use his arm The whole thing is bumming him out, and you can tell his lines look like shit because they only go so far and aren't very dynamic. We both know it but i don't know what to do. Is there like some sort of little rolly thing we can put under his hand to support that and his arm? I only bring this up because when I was in grade school I made something like this for an invention project to keep my hand from rubbing across and erasing erasable pen and pencil drawing and writing (i'm left handed). I'm also afraid the diabetes is going to take his arm but one step at a time.
>>
File: 1437712104405.jpg (109 KB, 1114x960) Image search: [Google]
1437712104405.jpg
109 KB, 1114x960
>>2425344
It's times like these where I am grateful I have the ability to do what I love and draw. Poor thing, I would certainly recommend it as he will get into a mind flow and forget about all the troubles for a brief moment even if it is just for a moment it'll be just him and the canvas and whatever he's drawing.

Go for it
>>
>>2425344
Absolutely. If he likes to draw and he's good at it encourage him in every way you can.
Its perfectly fine if he can't draw with his arm! Jeez, if he has no interest in being a professional it means nothing. Let him draw with his wrist.
Drawing has helped me learn discipline and has taken my mind off of impulses like eating, maybe it could do the same for him. It only makes sense. Please keep encouraging him to draw if he likes to do so.
>>
if he's not already drawing on a larger surface see if you can get him one, something he could more easily slide his arm across, sure it might make his work more messy but he'd be able to get more arm motion in there when he needs it (i only use arm motions for certain longer lines, for everything else it's mostly combo of elbow/wrist/fingers)
>>
File: Consider Yourself Rebuked.jpg (2 MB, 2448x3264) Image search: [Google]
Consider Yourself Rebuked.jpg
2 MB, 2448x3264
You know what would really fucking help him? Teach him how to not eat so goddamn much.
>>
>>2425367

It's not just about how much they eat.
>>
>>2425378
in any case its the main, and can be the only factor.
>>
I work in a similar job and definitely find things that involve "assembling" or arranging are much more painless to those with low self esteem,such as jewelry making or any sort of craft where you just stick things to other things in patterns.
That said, drawing makes more sense if they have the confidence for it, it's cheaper and has less clean up!
>>
>>2425378
Yes it is.
Genetic problems do not cause people to violate the laws of physics, as much as they may tell themself it does.

At 600 pounds you are eating AT LEAST 4000 calories every single day.
>>
>>2425378
is about the food anyways
>>
>>2425344
600 pound fuckers are weak. Something bad happened to them and unlike the rest of the population who either gets over it or kill themselves, they enhale food. Its fully their fault
>>
>>2425378
tumblr pls go and stay go
>>
>>2425405
>>2425414
>>2425454

shut the fuck up yuo don't know what it's like
>>
>>2425378
It literally 100% is only that
>>
>>2426266

why can I eat the exact same diet as a friend for 3 years but we have different weights?
>>
>>2426312
because you're not eating the exact same diet.
and also because different height, different bone size.
>>
>>2426312
Height difference, mealsize differences, one of you excercises more or one of you secretely snacks.

"Fast" and "slow" metabolisms are for all intents and purposes a myth.
>>
>>2426312
>exact same diet

lol

It's calories in/calories-out, period. Unless you were glued to each other you have no idea what he was eating or not; what the feezy my neezy
>>
>>2426314
>>2426316
>>2426322

shitlords please fucking leave. If calorie in calorie out actually woked you would see less obesity in countries like Mexico.
>>
>>2426395
the calorie in mexico is huge

source : lived in mexico when i was younger
>>
>>2426395
maybe if the mexicans didn't drink a liter of coca-cola with every burrito they wouldn't be so fat
>>
>>2426403
I feel like the proof is in the pudding in that case. Mexico jobs are nothing but hard labor, but still maintain to be fat.
>>
>>2426403
>>2426407

there are a ton of thin mexicans. Remember beans are very high fiber and not particularly calorically dense. Most Mexicans do manual labor and that keeps them in shape. They don't all drink coke that is a racist stereotype, just because you justify your digusting soda consumption with the fact that it uses cane sugar in stead of high fructose corn syrup doesn't make it any more healthy. .
>>
>>2426414

forgot to attach photo

>>2426413

again, look at photo and do research before you post. Just because you've seen a thick mamacita working the taco truck doesn't mean they are all like that. Thank goodness they are elevated so you can't be a pervert and glare down her cleavage.
>>
File: muh genetics.jpg (106 KB, 610x858) Image search: [Google]
muh genetics.jpg
106 KB, 610x858
>>2426395
>Mexico
>33rd in calorie intake
>29th in obesity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_food_energy_intake

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Body_Mass_Index_%28BMI%29

The correlation there is so strong you probably used one of the worst examples you could have, but the fact is AVERAGES obviously don't mean shit for a problem that affects individuals. It's about how many calories do YOU personally eat?

>abluh bluh I'm fat as hell but it can't be the fact I eat 5,000 calories while sitting on my ass all day look at these statistics aggregating 100s of millions of people from different cultures and climates all over the world

lol
>>
>>2426414
i wasn't justifying anything, mexico is a top contender with the US for being the most obese nation in the americas

i was merely informing the misguided soul that mexicans consume more calories then they expend
>>
>>2426407
This is true. Mexican diet consists of tortillas, and coca cola

>>2425378
In a way, it is. Fat doesn't just magically materialize out of thin air and attach itself to their bodies. You can say there are underlying causes like depression and other mental health issues, but the fact remains that they physically have to be shoveling food in their mouth nonstop to get to be 600+ lbs.

Just lock them in a room and don't feel them for a week. what are they gonna do, starve to death?
>>
>>2426502

you can't go a week without water, retard. They might also get a running start and use their weight to break the door. Obese people don't have a lot of muscle relative to their weight but they are quite strong from having to lug around a 600lb body.
>>
>>2426686
>>2426502

certainly stronger than your 16 bmi girly boy frame that most artists have
>>
>>2425378
You're kind of right, it's not about the food, it's about the addiction.
>>
>>2426316
>"Fast" and "slow" metabolisms are for all intents and purposes a myth.
Nah family, that's not true. I definitely have a fast metabolism, I eat like a true fatty. I eat more than anyone I'm friends with and I sit on 4chan all day and I'm a UK size 6- whilst my fat friends eat salad and go to the gym.
It will catch up to me, my metabolism will bottle out as I age, and then I'll have to do calorie in and calorie out like a normal person.

A person with a fast matabolism has it easier UP UNTIL A POINT, ie I can't eat 5000 calories a day and stay thin.
In the same way a person with a shit metabolism is going to have to work harder to lose weight, but eventually calories and exercise will work, just a bit slower.
Metabolism speed exists, it's just not the reason for people to be obese like they wish it were.
>>
>>2426502
You do realize that when morbidly obese people are put on pediatric assigned diets, they're likely eating at a higher calorie account than a non-obese person's suggested intake? It slowly peters off over time, but it's bonkers to starve anyone. Starvation has more drastic and severe consequences than overeating or binging.
>>
>>2426726
yea science is FRICKEn gay xD lmao bro
>>
>>2425353
you are something else.
>>
ALL OF YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP AND DRAW OR GO BACK TO FIT
>>
If you can, have him take up drawing as an alternative to eating. That helped me control my weight.
>>
>>2426726
careful with believe your own bullshit: everybody's got a good metabolism until around 30. first symptom: beer belly.
>>
>>2425378
I know, it's about how much stupidity they and the ones around them have
>>
>>2425344
A decent person on 4chan? I congratulate you. I couldn't handle the old people, wouldn't know what to do with them, but that's just me. And most people want to murder fat people. If it's his own fault, then I don't feel pity, but I wouldn't hate him either if he's nice otherwise.

About your question, sure, try to encourage him to do more art if he has no other passions in life, but more importantly, encourage him to eat less or eat better so he'll be able to move his arms and not die within a year.
>>
You fucking faggots arguing about thermodynamics. Jesus christ you fat fucks eat less. You dont have a supernatural metabolism, you just dont eat enough. If you are fat you eat too much. Disgusting weeaboo neckbeards. Keep spouting excuses, in the end you are the only one who're not going to change because you believe you are somehow special.
>>
>>2426726
>I eat like a true fatty.

>Eats two snickers bars and a pizza
>WHOA DUDDE I EAT SOO MUCH XDDD BUT I CANT GET FAT MUH METABOLISM

Fuck off, faggot.
>>
>>2426745
but >>2425353 is right. you take for garanteed that you can you could paint all day if you wanted, but sooner or later, it won't be true anymore. could be in 50 years, could be next year.

if you waste your time just grinding anatomy, gesture, perspective, line quality, or whatever, you'll time will pass, without leaving anything worthwhile.
>>
>>2425344
>Is drawing a good hobby for the morbidly obese?

Running is a good hobby for obese people.
drawing is basicly sitting on your ass for all the time you're no sleeping, won't help much.
>>
>>2426726
Metabolisn blah blah blah.
If you don't eat you don't get fat.

Play dota when you feel hungry so you don't have to eat and you'll be as fucking slim as Mr Skeletal.
And yes your eatin habbits do affect your appetite, if i start eating more than one time a day my apetite will actually grow and i'll feel hungry every now and then, but when i'm back to my regular "too lazy to eat" diet i'm fucking comfortable with having just one big meal a day.

If you do restrict your ration to something like
Massive coffe with sugar for breakfast, one burger with small fries and small coke for dinner and something like one sandwitch in the evening you'll be fucking slim and you won't fell like you want more, or will but who cares what you feel, right?
No metabolism can make fat out of nowhere.
>>
>>2425404
Are you mentally retarded?
Well even if you aren't. It's about psychological and mental issues.
>>
>>2425378
the amount of money you have to spend on food to get you to 600 pounds is staggering. it doesn't happen by accident.
>>
>>2427931

not really. Eat a whole box of 1.99 oreos everyday then tell me what happens. For extra weight gain spend 4 dollars for twice the calories. Calories are cheap as fuck and there are a lot of really dense sources, cheap butter, cheap oil, etc. It is very easy to become obese. Most people are just a few bad meals over a couple of weeks away.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.