[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Architecture Jumbo Sumo Mega Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
Does anybody here work as an architect or are you a student? What is it like? How closely related is it to art? Whats the environment like/work hours, etc. I'm thinking about majoring in it.
>>
>>2423784
>Architect
If you want to work your ass off and still act like a sheep so that you can sometime get a promotion, then sure. Get ready to kiss ass.

My advice? Take up something that makes money and do architecture on the weekends. That's what I plan to do with my art.
>>
>>2423784
>Does anybody here work as an architect or are you a student?
Student

>What is it like?
Like not sleeping 3 times a week and getting shouted for not sucking your teacher's cock

>How closely related is it to art?
Nowadays? Not much. Sure, you get some big name architects doing fancy artistic shit but mortals usually can't propose interesting stuff. Most graphics are done in computer and you're only expected to be able to draw decent plans: You will get some really basic drawing classes but those are for making croquis and sketching ideas, the final images are usually made in 3D programs or similar.

>Whats the environment like/work hours
Depends on the job that you want, where do you want it and with whom, but it averages in: Shit/Forever hours a day plus carrying work to your home.

>I'm thinking about majoring in it
It's a fun major, but it traumatized me thanks to some douchebag teachers. Still, if you want to be an artist, you'll have it easier in fine arts to develop your skills, otherwise you'll have no time to practice thanks to all those plans that must be finished.
>>
Honest question, isn't an architect just a shitty civil engineer?
>>
File: smithsons axo.jpg (171 KB, 1073x1280) Image search: [Google]
smithsons axo.jpg
171 KB, 1073x1280
>>2427464
>do architecture on the weekends
I have literally no idea how it would be possible to 'do' architecture just on the weekends or as a hobby

>>2427728
I would disagree that architecture is that distant from art nowadays. Many projects (especially student ones) are heavily concept driven and its all about graphic communication and making things look beautiful.
You're right about the hours though, I don't think I've slept since 2012.

>>2428043
Civil engineers are shitty architects.
>>
>>2428925
Is it really that bad in terms of hours? People say the same shit (no sleep) about engineering and other TEM stuff so I figure if I'm gonna have to work hard either way, I might as well work on something I might enjoy.
>>
>>2429103
*STEM
>>
File: gropius office.jpg (28 KB, 479x480) Image search: [Google]
gropius office.jpg
28 KB, 479x480
>>2429103
Personally I found I was doing longer hours than engineers I knew, but university / college is going to mean a large amount of work whatever you do.

Architecture is perhaps unusual when compared to other courses as ontop of what you would usually do as a student (lectures, essays, exams etc) you also have to spend time designing and generating images in preparation for tutorials and crits.
This is what you end up dedicating most of your time to as it is a very time consuming process, especially when you are inexperienced.

I would also say that often the times when you are in the studio working at stupid hours are actually quite fun.
When everyone is in the same boat, sleep deprived and working together you'll get to know your coursemates better than in most subjects
>>
Huh. My mom's a freelance arvhitect and makes a lot of money. Started her own company though. So...Incentive?
>>
>>2429951
how do you become a freelance architect?
>>
Not to rain on aspiring Architects parades, but being an Architect is literally harder and less rewarding than being an artist, in say, the entertainment industry.

Get ready to make absolutely mediocre money while working 60-80 hour work weeks on average. 40 hour work weeks don't exist for Architects. Get ready to suck dick like no tomorrow. Prep those lips.

Oh, right, and get ready to deal with the ancient, out of date academic system for that first. And if you ever manage through all of that, 99% of what you do will just be designing your run of the mill family home. Only the lucky work on buildings let alone interesting monuments.
>>
>>2430819
>being an Architect is literally harder and less rewarding than being an artist, in say, the entertainment industry.
It might be less rewarding but is it really harder? I think at least in terms of opportunities, if you get the degree/certification you should be guaranteed a job at a firm no? Do you just mean in terms of workload? From what I've read about work hours, the overwhelming majority of architects are overworked but there are a few who have a 40-50 hour work week.
>>
>>2428925
I'm [>>2427728], it's true that architecture can be heavily conceptual, it really depends on what school you're going to.

For example, my school loves Le Corbusier so we're asked to make white volumes and ignore details until we're a week away from the final exam, where we're insulted to hell and back for not designing a bathroom correctly.
Abstraction is tremendously heavy in that sense, and while it does work with art as a concept, it's closer to a design than fine arts.
Still, the overall architectural design process has been extremely useful for me in many other design areas, namely art and world building since it helps you to put your ideas straight and focus in those really important elements rather in what color you should use in your tiles.

>>2430819
>get ready to deal with the ancient, out of date academic system for that first

This so fucking much. I got failed so many time in the first main course that I got behind a couple of years because a teacher didn't want to explain me how to develop an architectural project correctly and just laughed at me for inventing my own architectural theory. After a while in the career I realized I had been using heavily conceptual architectural theory that nobody in my school wanted to touch because they didn't understand calculus.

At least I'm glad to have become an assistant teacher for a teacher that won a biennal and he's asking me to research motherfucking videogames for an exposition he wants to make in fucking Harvard.

At least I can say that since I started my studies, I've never been bored.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.