[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on SVA for Animation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (233 KB, 566x721) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
233 KB, 566x721
Thoughts on SVA for Animation?
>>
File: 1439837784488.png (215 KB, 378x554) Image search: [Google]
1439837784488.png
215 KB, 378x554
Dana t went there. Honestly the only thing that put that school on the map for me...I gurss rebecca sugar going there is cool too but Dana t is the real shocker for me since I idolize her.
>>
>>2422690
http://danaterrace.tumblr.com/post/117075460250/hey-there-dana-im-going-off-to-college-for-art

Her advice on art school. To be fair, she was already immensely talented during high school. She didn't even really need college.
>>
You're not going to learn much unless you tackle some really good personal studies. In the end, it all comes from you and what you can do. Sure, SVA may pave a pathway for you to tackle, but it isn't going to make it any easier. What's worse is, when you find out you've already been taking the path they are teaching.
>>
>>2422890
Looking at her sketchbook progression on youtube I'd say she was slightly above average going into sva. Her first few sketchbooks looked okay for the most part (almost like mine but there were definitely some real gems in them too) but she drew eight hours a day everyday and amassed over a hundred sketchbooks of work while there. That's what turned her into the inpirational monstrousity that she is today.

Your probably right. I think she would have done that stiff anyway but I think the school was a catalyst for the speedy growth (environmentally speaking)
>>
>>2422890
cant even get to page 2 from the first page. shitty theme.

op iirc sva has the same tuition cost as cal arts. just go to cal arts if you can.

don't go to sheridan
>>
>>2423224
Fuck you. Why not sheriden?
>>
>>2423224
I think CalArts is $10k higher than SVA.
>>
>>2423233
fuck you too cunt. the teachers dont teach you. many of them haven't worked in the industry for years if not decades. the ones that are working work on shitty low budget canadian cartoons. it's a good environment in the sense that it's competitive and you can learn from your peers but that doesn't excuse the poor quality of teaching

the facilities are pretty decent but the program is far too overpopulated.
>>
File: 1449275852653.jpg (170 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1449275852653.jpg
170 KB, 800x800
>>2423249
Bruh. Sheriden had always been a front-runner is the fifiles of animation education. Needless to say I don't believe you. Show me visual proof that a graduate has left the school unsatisfied and I'll take your word. Otherwise you just sound like a neet fag the knows literally nothing of the curricula.

From what ive seen Sheridan grauduates are very well trained and treated well post graduation.
>>
>>2423597
i provided more than sufficient reasons for my opinion. no grad is going to publicly talk down about sheridan because it's unprofessional. why the fuck do you think i'm doing it anonymously. you know shit about sheridan.
>>
File: 1446266357715.jpg (54 KB, 645x613) Image search: [Google]
1446266357715.jpg
54 KB, 645x613
>>2423641
Yup. Both of my mentors (still working on the simpsons and blue sky pictures respectively) want to sheriden. They both are amazing artists and even better animators and give great advise. And let's say you won't fall for the meme that those two aren't unique. The fact is you can go on cartoon brew and see a Sheridan animation graduates 3rd or 4th year film posted on the front page along with the calarts kids work at the same amount of exposure. Combine that with the top notch internships provided and there is no excuse for someone with even a little talent to make it in the industry.

But no instead I'll take the advise of some no name bum that never even want to the school's advise instead becuase he read it online.

Another case of the blind leading the blind. Except in this case you are actually fucking the unsuspecting anons on here and giving them career hurting advise. unbelievable
>>
>>2423964
i don't think you understand where i'm coming from. my point is that the teachers aren't good.

i never once mentioned anything about the quality of the student work, which can range from poor to fantastic depending on the year. the internships aren't top notch, most students intern at tv studios in canada. a small fraction actually land california internships.

you do see good films on cartoonbrew coming out of sheridan but it's incredibly cherry picked. there's what, 100 grads a year and you hear about at most a dozen films.

i'm not blind, i'm someone who has gone through the program and can attest to its quality. you're the blind one who only chooses to see the positives.

you're as much of a no name bum as me you toothy cunt.
>>
>>2421719

Finishing my final semester in cartooning. Pretty incredible experience, I feel as set up for the real world as I can possibly be. About 80% of my teachers after freshman year have been extremely helpful and changed the way I approach my comics.
>>
>>2424125
that's awesome anon. is it sva that has a sequential art program or is it savannah? i always confuse the two schools. would love to see either your or your peers' work
>>
File: 1441129713228.jpg (12 KB, 255x206) Image search: [Google]
1441129713228.jpg
12 KB, 255x206
>>2424106
You honestly probably sucked. Not to sound like a dick but if you couldn't gain any traction with what was provided then there was no hope for you. Landing a good internship is all about cutting you teeth and putting your name out there. You email and call studios and let them know where you are coming from. Sheriden is an old name in the animation industry so if you work is up to par you are likely to get the internship.

Same with the shorts. No shit they are cherry picked. If you are churning out garbage then it won't be shown. Cartoon brew isn't deviant art so your work has to be good to be featured. You can't blame the school for a student coming up short. There failure is theirs and theirs alone.
>>
>>2424321
epic trolling brah
>>
File: 1444666797283.jpg (71 KB, 371x426) Image search: [Google]
1444666797283.jpg
71 KB, 371x426
>>2424749
Call it what you will but I have to call bullshit when I see it. Any dumbass that thinks you can only make it but going to the top industry standerd where the faculty magically turns you into the next pete docter without any effort on their part should keep their mouths shut. Why taint the potential talent on this board or the potential talent they meet irl by spreading lies and propaganda?

What he/you're saying is the equivalent of telling a highschooler the only way to make it in the field of medicine is by going to harvard. Oh and fuck yale and oxford since the faculty is "2 old"

What a joke.
>>
Im there, it's a cool school. but you really gotta choose the right teachers that fit with what you want to do.
>>
>>2425236
youre the one talking bullshit though. i specifically have said on multiple occasions that the quality of the teaching isn't good. i speak from experience. yet you choose to instead attack me about my work that you're wholly unfamiliar with.

you just continue to put words in my mouth and insult me needlessly instead of trying to understand where i'm coming from and my point of view.

you have clearly romanticized the hell out of sheridan and are too up in your own head to be open to other opinions, like every single other person on this board.

i don't know what your point is with that confusing harvard analogy. it's irrelevant and not what i was saying at all. take a minute to comprehend what i'm saying instead of continuously attacking me for having a personal experience with sheridan that conflicts with your fantasy
>>
Almost went there, but the building were so far away from eachother pratt looked more appealing. Then I switched majors to computer science and saved 150k. I still wish I went the art school path sometimes though.
>>
>>2425354
I'm not trying to insult anyone. Not intentionally anyway. But the fact remains you starting this whole thing by dismissing a perfectly good institution to anons who don't know any better becuase of your rotten experience is unacceptable. Especially when you reason for doing so is "they aren't working in the industry anymore".

no fucking shit. How many institutions have you been to honestly? Do you honestly think they need to work any other job with with the amount the school pays on it's own.

Furthermore animation is fucking animation. They teach you the tricks and you fucking do with them whatever is right to you. How the fuck are you going to go to a canadian school AND COMPLAIN THAT ALL THE TEACHERS WORKED CANADIAN FUCKING JOBS!

Christ man, again not trying to insult but that statement you made is infuriating to anyone with half a mind. Anyway good luck to you bud. The reason I'm making a stick is so the anons dont look at your initial post and immediately dismiss any choice in education and perpetuate another shit meme. God knows there are more than enough of thosee going around.
>>
>>2426463
dude I'm not even that guy and it's clear that you're deflecting.
first of all, with the exorbitant cost of tuition of specialized animation schools, they DESERVE to be held to high standards and critiqued. the point about most of the faculty being out of date with the industry is a valid one, if true; the same thing was an issue where I went (Ringling). he even pointed out a couple positives.
second of all, the fact that someone has negative comments about an institution doesn't necessarily mean they did badly there. it's a poor way of deflecting criticism.

p.s. I don't think anyone has to go to whatever #1 school to make it or anything. he wasn't saying that either. I think you have a romanticized view of the school somehow because some of the student work is good.
>>
File: freshprince.gif (496 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
freshprince.gif
496 KB, 500x342
>>2427048
I don't have a romanticized view of anything. So this buzzword or meme that you two are starting can end here. I'm not some 17 year old "easily impressionable" kid that doesn't know what he's getting into. I am a 25 year old adult that has done his research, saved his money, and prepared for what I think is a fool proof transition into my dream job. I don't "romanticize" anything.

I am not planning on going to sheriden as I have other plans. But as I said earlier both my mentors have had nothing but praise for it. And judging from their track record i'll take their word.

I said it before and i'll say it again. 90% of the memes and buzzwords on here come from no name bums and losers who probably wasted their time in school like the one that started all this. From what my industry connections have told me it is a fine place to learn and get exposure.
>>
>>2423224
>>2423233
>>2423249
>>2423597
>>2423641
>>2423964
>>2424106
>>2424321
>>2424749
>>2425236
>>2425354
>>2426463
>>2427048
>>2427792
Thanks for bumping my thread with your pointless debate, guys.
>>
>>2427962
isn't that the point?
>>
>>2427792
it's not a buzzword, I believe the definition fits your attitude. I think your romanticism is evident through this phrase:
>fool proof transition into my dream job
this doesn't exist, especially in this industry. no I don't think you're making a bad or uneducated decision to go to a good art school if you can afford it. but come on, the other guy raised some potentially valid points about his negative experiences in sheridan. that doesn't disqualify it from its status as being a well respected school. just cause one guy didn't have the same experience. plus, I believe it's kind of naive to assume that just because he had bad things to say that he was a bad student. also naive to assume that just because two people you know in the industry praise it that you should take their word for it.
everything has nuance to it and you're subscribing to quite a one-dimensional view of the institution.

>Furthermore animation is fucking animation. They teach you the tricks and you fucking do with them whatever is right to you.

Actually, animation and art is pretty complicated. just cause the basic theory isn't hard to grasp doesn't mean proper teaching and good mentorship isn't something to be valued. The guy went to the school and doesn't believe teachign was good. Sure, maybe you asked someone else and they disagreed. People looking into the school should know both sides, right?

>>2427962
Sorry. At least it's potentially related. If it helps at all, I have friends transferring into there who seem to have a high opinion of it.
>>
File: 1450537715142.gif (1 MB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
1450537715142.gif
1 MB, 250x188
>>2428046
I suppose you make some good points. His negative opinion is of value but my hostility comes from the outright "dont go to sheriden" remark he made. Which is why I asked what his reasoning was.

>many of them haven't worked in the industry for years if not decades. the ones that are working work on shitty low budget canadian cartoons.

Reading this is luaghable at best. This is 80 percent of that response and all of it's rubbish. (I listed earlier why its rubbish if you don't believe me) so no he did not make a lot of good points. Maybe those teachers really didn't teach him anything (highly unlikely) but maybe they didn't so I'm giving him that. I am of the opinion that he probably wsted his time while there but I can see how maybe that isn't a fair conclusion to you.

About the romantic meme. If all you got from the lengthy dtatement was that being in the business is a dteam job then sure, call me whatever you want. But if that is a notch that somehow invalidatesy point of view then you and everyone else on this board should shut their mouth as well. Because everyone here wantsbto be an animatpr or a board artist or some other form of creative as a primary source of Income.
>>
>>2428436
All you do is invalidate that anon's point and attack him when all he's doing is trying to give you an objective opinion of his experience at Sheridan. Don't add hypocrisy to the belligerent stupidity you've proven to be capable of in this thread.

The use of the word isn't romantic, you saying it is doesn't invalidate that anon's point.
>>
>>2428619
Lol describe the word objective for me please. I don't think it means what you think it means. While you're at it please site specifically where my belligerently stupid posts are so we can compare them to the "objective post" you are defending.

This I have to see.
>>
>>2428436

>Oh and fuck yale and oxford since the faculty is "2 old"

the comparison you tried to make here doesn't apply; animation is a field where techniques change very rapidly and teaching material has to be constantly updated to reflect the tumultuous industry. now it's not like the faculty all has to be still working, but they should be aware of modern workflows in the industry whether through research or classes etc. so what he said is potentially a valid point - the way you dismissed it reflects how you haven't been to animation school.

>top notch internships provided
internships in the animation industry are not "provided." they won't give you one just cause you're from a prestigious institution... the name doesn't give you as much of an edge as you think. have you looked at say who got the pixar animation internships last summer? it's clear they chose the applicants with the best folios period

>You can't blame the school for a student coming up short. There failure is theirs and theirs alone.
this is an overly simplistic view. no matter how good the education is some students will always put out shit, yeah, but the institution can be held responsible for teaching badly/incorrectly/having stupid projects or schedules.

look the reason it sounds like you're so defensive and romantic that while the guy didn't even start off aggressive you kept insulting him and making character attacks. You would have sounded more reasonable had you said like "why didn't you like it? My mentors say it's a great place" etc. but instead you had to be a dick. it's like you're lashing out, like he said, because his experience conflicts with your fantasy. so he HAD to have been a bad student, right?

also why do you call random things that aren't memes, memes?

p.s. of course his opinion isn't objective. i think that anon means that his opinion was straight to point about his experience.
>>
>>2428681
Tldr
>>
>>2428681
He called me a cunt the first time he addressed me and you say I did nothing but attack him? Lol
>>
>>2430148
You said "fuck you" first
>>
File: 1437401121394.png (268 KB, 491x616) Image search: [Google]
1437401121394.png
268 KB, 491x616
>>2430181
That's not a name. And fuck you can be used in just about any context in todays nomenclature including but not limited to disbelief. Which is how I used it before asking why he felt that way.

Cunt on the other hand hasn't evolved in usage nearly as much as fuck has. Either way it's not like I'm some sorry loser that takes a comment from an anonymous poster seriously. Who cares who called who what? The point is that asshat bearly had an argument to back up an ill contrived comment he made, disappeared the minute someone called him on his bullshit and now has whiteknights that are likely probably as hopeless as he is fighting his battle for him.

You guys can get as angry or as offended as you like but your excuses like "old teachers" and the like aren't going to get you where you want to be. Bluntness and truth will. I won't apologize if I hurt his feelings and frankly I still think he skated through his schooling like the hundreds of other dumb kids that expected the industry to be handed to them on a silver platter. Only to sing hyms of doom and gloom to the masses about how fucked up this or that is. Another pathetic statistic and general waste of space and everyone's time.

"Oh no you shill, it isn't his fault. It's everyone elses"
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.