[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
health thread or nah
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5
File: 1373925358734.gif (208 KB, 500x476) Image search: [Google]
1373925358734.gif
208 KB, 500x476
Should we have a health thread? Just tips that people found in taking care of their mind and body for the sake of remaining consistent with workflow.

Post your health tips/ articles here. Maybe realism when it comes to scheduling work when you're just starting out. Have you tried adderall to stay consistent? Have you learned not to drink coffee if you struggle with ADD or ADHD?
>>
Don't take drugs, just eat healthy and set plenty of small, easily achievable fitness goals to focus on instead.

Your body will thank you for it.

- Milk, orange juice
- Fruits, apples, pears, bananas
- Cram spinach in with as much of your food as possible
- Tuna, almonds
- The occasional bread, potato and red meat
- If you want to eat fish, get cheap cod from a market

- Choose fitness goals that you can achieve quickly, in say 5 to 10 minutes. Do these frequently during the day when you're restless and need a break from work (at least a total of 30 minutes a day spent doing physical activity, recommended is an hour if possible). This will keep the body active, and will be far more rewarding than taking drugs just to force it into a state of "remaining consistent".

Heck, even if you're just doing jogs around the block, or lifting milk jugs full of water, or doing wall sits with something heavy balancing between your knees. All of these things help greatly.
>>
>>2421167
Some health tips myself (even so I am not that healthy because I don't sleep or eat properly)

-Exercise daily, it helps focus, a little jog or a long walk helps.
-Drink tons of vitamin C because having colds or the flu sucks (Anything else I can bare with I think)
-Avoid coffee, drink tea if anything (not because drinking coffee is not healthy, but because the less you drink coffee the more effective it is when you need it, developing a immunity to it is not the best)

I think I have some more but let's see if anyone is interested, I think is very important because you see fucking fossils like vilppu still teaching and shit.
>>
>>2421178
Explain the spinach

I hate spinach
>>
How do you prevent Carpal Tunnels I am really scared
>>
>>2421184
has a ton of vitamins and shit, helps your bones, etc. mvp of the foods.

>>2421188

It basically comes to not using too much strenght on your grip and avoid getting your hands cold.
so, have a loose grip (both pen and mouse), keep a good posture and use gloves if possible (you see a ton of artists doing this)
>>
>>2421178
Agree with the food choices

Also in general just staying away from heavy starchy meals as they can quite literally end your day and any idea of making work until you wake up from your food coma

Fruits and veggies, stay away from the starches if you can.
>>
>>2421184
Fruit juice, bread and dairy is bad for you don't listen to this guy. Even almonds are shit iirc. I eat whatever so I don't have any better options but this guy is probably a eurofag judging by his uneducated advice.
>>
>>2421178

Orange juice is one of the worst things you can drink. It's no better than soda pop.
Milk has very questionable health effects aswell. Many people are intolerant to it. Why put that on top of your list?

>>2421183

Don't drink vitamin c. Don't take vitamin supplements, they are a scam. Eat vegetables like broccoli and kale instead.
>>
>>2421188

Take up weight lifting or progressive calisthenics.
>>
sleep at least 6 hours a day, if you cant do that your time management is horrible. Low sleep also leads to poor memory/self control, at the end of the day getting low sleep is basically a wash and your fucking your body/brain up.
>>
File: index.jpg (9 KB, 300x200) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
9 KB, 300x200
Has anyone ever tried one of those under-desk ellipticals? I was considering getting one since it seems like good stress/frustration relief whenever you need it
>>
>>2421315
Thanks Anon I am going to bed now
>>
>>2421315
>sleep at least 6 hours a day, if you cant do that your time management is horrible.
Aim for 8 to 9 hours. 6 is already not enough; 7 is the bare minimum.

>inb4 "I do just fine on 6"
That's great, but that does not mean your lifestyle is also a fit for the rest of us.
>>
File: 1437715977944.jpg (1022 KB, 1400x992) Image search: [Google]
1437715977944.jpg
1022 KB, 1400x992
>>2421196
good luck dealing with scurvy
>>
>>2421192

Gloves?
>>
Got this 2 month ago, my back likes me now.
>>
>>2421192
>and avoid getting your hands cold.
fuck, why does nobody mention this, I could have use that info before this winter started
>>
>>2421379
what is that and how does it work? from pic it looks like it would train the abs
>>
>>2421384

foam roller

used to have one when I did competitive running

shit is magic
>>
Go jogging, there's plenty of apps the time for you and have pretty good regimes.
Make sure you keep good posture while running and in a few weeks you'd find it much easier to keep your back straight throughout the day.

Backpains used to be my bane when drawing, could barely draw for more than an hour but now I can go comfortably for way longer
>>
>>2421372
>scurvy
what is fruit?
>>
http://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/why-theres-no-such-thing-as-flat-feet
>but anon, I don't have feet problems
if you are like me, after I got a better posture in my legs, my back posture change in a better one too
>>
>>2421196
>>Why put that on top of your list
Sorry, I should've mentioned that the list is not in any particular order. It wasn't intended to make anything seem like a higher priority.

>>It's no better than soda pop
Easy solution for this one. Don't buy the crappy orange juice that has no pulp and has more sugar in 1 cup than a can of coke.

Go to a country-style fruit/vege market instead, get proper home-made orange juice that isn't smothered in sugar.
Or, as you said, just eat the fruit equivalent instead, oranges and bananas. Pears if you want a bit more luxury (because they're fucking amazing).

As for milk, good source of calcium. I'm fine with the "questionable" part you mentioned, that doesn't bother me, you don't have to drink much of it to get the benefits.
A small glass every 2 or 3 days is fine.
Additionally if you're inside a lot, it's got a trace of vitamin D, so you can avoid supplements if you don't get to go outside very often.
I bring up milk because it's good for people with don't have physically demanding jobs (eg. sitting around drawing/animating often), especially bone wise.
I understand that not all people are a fan of it. I tend to go for non-fat, dry milk personally.
>>
Bumping because I'm a horribly lazy piece of shit that sits around the house all day.

I sit hunched over a table or I sit in bed and brace my tablet PC on my legs to draw.

I mostly survive off of pasta and sandwiches.

I drink every Monday when my friend is bartending.

How do I not die? I really love pasta.
>>
>>2421372

If you think you vitamin supplements are better for you than real food you're fucked mate.
>>
>>2421178
And don't drink alcohol.

I'd say don't drink alcohol or do drugs and eat basic food in normal amounts and you're pretty much set for life.
>>
>>2421196
>Milk has very questionable health effects aswell.
lol

Every single last one of us is alive because of milk.
>>
>>2421463
I think they were referring also to the part about orange juice, which is completely relevant to scurvy (providing you aren't buying garbage).
It's a good point too, because the quantity of orange you have to eat, vs the quantity of juice you have to drink, certainly sets them apart.

>>2421194
>>as they can quite literally end your day
Very very true. I struggle to eat rice for this reason.

>>2421492
The alcohol point is very good, considering its original intention of being medicinal, the amount people consume for a "good time" seems in even more dangerous than the more timid party drugs. Literally poison.

>>2421490
I do agree with you, although I wonder if such a thread would get any attention elsewhere, by those on /ic/. I guess the topic can be applied to any sort of time-consuming task where you're sitting inside for long lengths of time at a desk.
>>
>>2421386
>>competitive running
them calf rolls afterwards, hnnng.
>>
Please delete this thread, it doesnt make any sense here. Anyone who is willing to learn will do it anyway, so your fucking spinach wont change a damn thing, retards.
>>
>>2421541
Well, a lot of people might not even think about it before seeing this, and for people that sit at desks for long periods of time (like, y'know, artists) could be killing themselves slowly due to bad health and fitness.
>>
>>2421563
I have a lot of health issues but I cant tell what exactly is happening. My blood is fine but I feel worse and worse every day. I cant concentrate on learning to draw and it makes me want to kill myself.
>>
>>2421516
>I think they were referring also to the part about orange juice, which is completely relevant to scurvy (providing you aren't buying garbage).

Uh, seeing as vegetables such as broccoli and kale have a higher concentration of vitamin c that doesn't make any sense at all. Orange juice is not something you need in your diet period.
>>
>>2421196
Almond and soy milk are fucking delicious (not vegan, I just never liked the taste of dairy milk), they're loaded with vitamins (almond milk has as much calcium as dairy and a shitload of vitamin e, soy has a lot of potassium and protein), and they're easy to find organic and with no added sugar. Less saturated fat as well, which is better for your heart.
>>
>>2421591

We stopped believing saturated fat was bad for you in the 80's. Get with the times buddy.
>>
>>2421196
You'd be fool not to take vitamin supplements. Vitamin d is the most important vitamin for you but your not going to get enough if you don't spend your day in the sun. A must for all Canadians. It improves mental and physical health. Omega 3 is also important and it doesn't hurt to take a multi vitamin too
>>
>>2421605

Vitamin supplements are a scam. So are fish oil pills. Real food is the answer.
>>
File: 105428804-IMG_4568[2].jpg (251 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
105428804-IMG_4568[2].jpg
251 KB, 2048x1536
>>2421178

The only alcohol I drink is an occasional beer with friends and a few times a week I smoke weed, is this too much?

Other than that I eat very healthy.
>>
>>2421605
Vitamin d helps deal with depression which is a big problem for 4chan and artists. Recommend taking about 4000iu or 4 pills.
>>
>>2421609
You don't get vitamin d from food, you should really get your mental health checked tho, that paranoia is going to destroy you...
>>
>>2421610
If it makes you happy it's probably not going to kill you. Drinking is only bad when you do it excessively like anything else. If you're worried about your smoking then get a vaporizer, they're great and save you money in the long run.
>>
>>2421612

Okay then, keep buying your useless pills insteading of fixing your diet and your lifestyle and see how that works for ya buddy.
>>
>>2421615
It's working great so far. I can notice a difference in my health and mood from before and after I started taking supplements. What's your reasoning for supplements being useless? Being in Canada there's no other way I'm going to get vitamin d since we have to go outside covering our body in clothes. You clearly know nothing about health and fitness.
>>
Do just enough drugs to say you did drugs, so you can talk about drugs with other artists. (Excellent networking opportunity)

Don't hit your drawing hand with a hammer.

Don't hit your drawing hand with a brick.

Don't reach into containers of acid with your drawing hand. Do it with your non-drawing hand, so you can feel intense pain and raise your torment stat. Also use hand as excuse to practice making up cool stories about your disfigured hand. (Excellent creativity practice!)

Consume one packet of lunchmeat without unfolding the layers. (Dipping lunchmeat clump into mayonnaise is cheating.)
>>
>>2421618

http://www.sciencealert.com/vitamin-d-tablets-may-be-worse-for-you-then-nothing-at-all

Just one of the gazillion articles on the subjects.
>>
>>2421167
I'm probably going to be repeating a lot of stuff, but here's my new "health stuff" that I've been living by for the last four months (and it's clearly doing me well)

- Get minimum 7 hours of sleep, more is even better.
- Exercise for one hour at least 3 times a week (including warm up and stretching)
- Eat lots of fish, lentils, veggies, fruits and low fat dairy products. Junk and sweets should be a Saturday treat, not a daily thing.
- Never skip a meal or exercise, even if you're in a good work flow!
- Stay mostly away from alcohol and drugs. I do drink on rare occasions as a (social) treat, but I never allow my self to get sodded any more. Just enjoy a few drinks and let it be a while until the next time.

This stuff has done wonders for my physical health. I'm starting to see the difference too, my skin is better and I'm slowly creeping out of skinny-fat mode. Still struggle a bit with mental health, but this helps a bit with that too. Oh, and I still drink a bit too much coffee, particularly at work. I'm considering switching to caffeine free...
>>
I wear a wrist brace when I sleep and it helps prevent wrist pain later on. I also take advantage of icy hot strips when my back or lower arms start hurting really badly.

If anyone does pomodoro technique, the 5-10 minute breaks between each pomodoro are perfect for short bursts of high-intensity bodyweight or lifting exercises.
>>
>>2421624
He uses the word could a lot which means nothing is certain and leaves a person with more questions than answers. Believe whatever you want but until the research becomes factual it's nothing more than just theories.
>>
>>2421541
>Please delete this thread, it doesnt make any sense here.
Health makes sense anywhere, anon.
>>
>>2421612
>You don't get vitamin d from food,
Yes, you do, fatty fish for one. Going outside in the sun is still good.
>>
What the hell I thought I was in /ck/
>>
>>2421672
You don't get enough d from food, I doubt many people have the money to eat fatty fish every day
>>
I don't eat like a pig, and I do small exercises during breaks.
>>
>>2421691
>You don't get enough d from food, I doubt many people have the money to eat fatty fish every day
And neither of those objections were part of the original claim that "One cannot get vitamin D from food".

You can. period.

Also plenty of dairy and butter is fortified with vitamin D. If you're to poor to butter your toast you're probably in a third world shithole with enough sun to make the point moot.

Let's not get into the fact that merely exposing a piece of skin the size of a hand to the sun for twenty minutes produces enough D for a whole day.

tl;dr: you don't know the first thing about this shit, stop talking.
>>
>>2421705
A number of factors come into play when getting d from the sun such as time of day, skin tone, how much clothing you're wearing, where you live, weather and if you have sunscreen on or not. So no, putting your hand in the sun for 5 mins isnt just going to give you enough d for the day, the only way of knowing if you're getting enough is with blood tests. And if you do decide to take vitamin d, make sure it's d3.
>>
>>2421621
upvoted
>>
>>2421691
sardines are cheap as fuck breh
>>
>>2421541
Yes, let's make room for another thread where some idiot posts his shitty doodle, and everyone tells him to go to the beginner thread.
>>
>>2421611
no fucking way? brb going to walgreens
>>
>>2421624
>then
disregarded
>>
>>2421463
i dont even use supplements, but my point was that you should definitely include some vitamin c in your diet
>>2421585
My point still stands, you need vitamin C regardless of the food source.
>>
>>2421188
Reading "Athletic Body in Balance" worked for me when it comes to body problems from desk jobs. If you read it and do the exercises you will improve your body awareness (if you ever had any) and recognize bad behaviors and learn how to be move your body effectively and correctly.

Another thing: buy better drawing tools if you aren't digital. Too much pressure can also be because of bad tools.

And look some exercises against carpal tunnel syndrome up on youtube.
>>
>>2421609
maybe in your shit country

Vitamin supplements saved my ass a few times.
>>
>>2421183
>drink tea if anything
If you drink tea, avoid green and black tea, they are as bad as coffee.
>>
>>2422973
Ive been drinking green tea for years. Whats so bad about it?
>>
>>2422973
I'm sorry, but what other teas are there? So just dont drink tea?
>>
>>2427272
Black/Green Tea both contain caffeine, so they have the same effect as coffee.
>>
>>2427280
Herbal teas and similar, or try decaffeinated teas/coffees.
>>
>>2428249
One cup of coffee a day is good for your heart. Not so good if you fill it with sugar and milk tho.
>>
>>2421178
What If i do all of these but also drugs
>>
>>2428216
IIRC black teas can have more caffeine in them than coffee, but it absorbed slower into your body and has other chemicals in that help prevent a caffeine crash. Green tea is pretty good because it contains l-theanine which synergies with the caffeine.

If you drink lots of tea and coffee, stop drinking a couple of hours before you go to bed, as it can effect your sleep. Switch to weak green tea or herbal teas instead if you really need a hot drink.
>>
>>2421585
No one is saying that you should only consume that, and to ignore any other source that would also contain it.

Stop making it a black and white "this or that" scenario. It's simply a suggestion, just as your one is as well.

Mix and match, whichever you prefer. No one said that it was something you "need", these are just suggestions. Shesh.
>>
>>2428216

Some explicitly don't contain caffeine, especially various green teas and numberless teas marketed as night time drinks.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.