[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How to emulate the style of pokemon and old manga covers in photoshop?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: 1456520485520.jpg (59 KB, 798x266) Image search: [Google]
1456520485520.jpg
59 KB, 798x266
How to emulate the style of pokemon and old manga covers in photoshop?
>>
>>2417509
And by pokemon, I mean the covers I just posted.
>>
By having the artistic skill of a highschooler.
>>
Looks like something you could do with Copic Markers(or just markers in general) and ink pen.
>>
Lines with a black pen, little to no line weight variation.

Saturated watercolors that leave a lot of white space for highlights, with "soft cel" style shadows applied minimally Suggest form with highlights rather than shadows.
>>
Is there a guide to setting up markers in photoshop which replicate the effects of copic markers? The only good one I found costs money of course.
>>
>>2417509
you mean Ken Sugimori's art?
>>
>>2417509
https://youtu.be/9f66Zql7pMo
MUTE THE VIDEO BECAUSE THERE'S LOUD OBNOXIOUS FUCKING MUSIC.

Otherwise there you go.
>>
>>2417583
Pay money, then.

Sheesh. You will never make it.
>>
Those were done with watercolor, specifically intense watercolor dyes.

There are brushes out there that can replicate that look.
>>
File: 20151111222526!022Fearow_RB[1].png (121 KB, 330x340) Image search: [Google]
20151111222526!022Fearow_RB[1].png
121 KB, 330x340
>>2417509
>lineart
>leave white for highlights
>keep the values of any given color close together instead of really pushing those darks
>>2418264
This looks fairly accurate, but he forgot to leave white for highlights and his shadows are more defined than most of Sugimori's. That's not to say there are no hard edge shadows in his art, just that they're in the minority.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.